ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk gives Update on Offensive Coordinator Search. Plans to have OC in place 2nd or 3rd wk of January. Leistikow: Chryst has Best Odds at getting Job

The longer this goes the more worried I get that it isn't Chryst. BUT if it is anyone on staff currently that gets promoted to OC then KF needs to be taken out to pasture...

I will argue either way if anyone currently should retain their current role but NOBODY on this staff based off the past 3 years deserves to be calling plays.
No one on the current offensive staff deserves to recruit, be promoted, be retained, so yea, if Kirk stays in house on this OC position I hope tix holders show their disgust with an avalanche of tix cancellations. I’m assuming there are hard core holders with generational seats that will never give up those seats but if there’s a drop of 20k or so that would be substantial to make Beth and the powers that be sit up and take notice.

The bitching and whining continues. Kirk always slow plays it. Relax.
At this point, I think it makes sense to hold off just a bit. There’s a whole lot of coaches who are just now becoming available. Might be waiting to see how some of this shakes out.

Reactions: LukaDuka
The fact that the NFL has 7 head coach vacancies may have something to do with our seemingly slow OC hire. There will be a lot of assistant coaches looking for employment as a result. This could end up being a good thing for Iowa.
Bingo. Just look and find which NFL team was ranked 133rd in total offense this past year and I’ll bet anything that’s our guy.

No one on the current offensive staff deserves to recruit, be promoted, be retained, so yea, if Kirk stays in house on this OC position I hope tix holders show their disgust with an avalanche of tix cancellations. I’m assuming there are hard core holders with generational seats that will never give up those seats but if there’s a drop of 20k or so that would be substantial to make Beth and the powers that be sit up and take notice.
a drop of 20K tix? that's more than 25%... ain't happening.

I still don't know what he meant. 🤷
He explained later that he meant more like a karma for getting all the defensive players back.

I read it the same as you. As if the players would be too expensive, and they couldn’t pay an OC very much.

He explained later that he meant more like a karma for getting all the defensive players back.

I read it the same as you. As if the players would be too expensive, and they couldn’t pay an OC very much.
Huh. Still makes no sense, but whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
Brian Ferentz had an annual contract of $900,000 as Iowa's offensive co-ordinator. However, Ferentz accepted a $50,000 salary reduction as a result of the contract amendments in February 2023. This brought down the new contract numbers to $850,000 annually.Not sure how he could survive on 50k less...
Thats not counting bonuses

Well that was a bunch of nothing.

Point is Kirk has had 3 months to find an OC. He hasn't. Other teams have found head coaches and OC in less time. This is a perfect example of a coach that is lost. I really hope I am wrong, but I don't trust Kirk to make a good hire. I mean look at the three OC he has hired while at Iowa. Not exactly a record to put your trust in this time.

Kirk has been a great coach, but this process shouldn't take this long!!!
Maybe they are waiting to hire an athletic director first? Why does that take so long just to promote Beth to the full time AD

Yes, he said it would be the third week of January, but since we have nothing but time on our hands and full of rampant speculation, what if it’s just the opposite? Not a glut of OCs to choose from because of all of the recent resignations and firings, but no one wants the job?

Maybe they are waiting to hire an athletic director first? Why does that take so long just to promote Beth to the full time AD

Given there are candidates that are willing to take the job, there are two key factors in completing a hire:

1. Whether or not Kirk Ferentz wants that candidate.
2. The salary Iowa is willing to pay, that the chosen candidate will accept.

Neither of those factors require an athletic director's decision. Kirk will decide who he likes. Entities above the athletic director will determine what budget is available for the hire.

The fact that the NFL has 7 head coach vacancies may have something to do with our seemingly slow OC hire. There will be a lot of assistant coaches looking for employment as a result. This could end up being a good thing for Iowa.

Surely you dont think a nfl asst coach would come to Iowa to be a yes man for Kirk?

Reactions: littlez
Yes, he said it would be the third week of January, but since we have nothing but time on our hands and full of rampant speculation, what if it’s just the opposite? Not a glut of OCs to choose from because of all of the recent resignations and firings, but no one wants the job?
stock-photo-funny-nerd-pointing-his-watch-249450121.jpg

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
In that case, kf could give bf one more chance. Lol

Surely you dont think a nfl asst coach would come to Iowa to be a yes man for Kirk?
I don't think any worthwhile offensive coordinator is coming to Iowa to be a yes man to Kirk. They've seen the state of this offense. That would be a dumb move for anyone who isn't looking for more than a paycheck and likely failure.

Reactions: Iron Doc
What would be wrong with a young up and comer. They would not be at Iowa long term but will KF?

Are you kidding. We would still be stuck with BF if not for Beth. Who ever we get should be better than BF. just be prepared to be disappointed.
Have you not read the contract stipulations of Brian's contract with Barta?
He was done as OC for Iowa because the offense was not scoring 25 points per game.
He did well at TE coach and maybe he might have landed back there. I believe Brian possibly would have moved on on his own.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT