ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk gives Update on Offensive Coordinator Search. Plans to have OC in place 2nd or 3rd wk of January. Leistikow: Chryst has Best Odds at getting Job

So, is Ruggiero going to be the hot name for the next 24 hours?

Did a little reading on him. I like a lot of what I see. Balanced attack at WF. Broyles Award finalist a couple years back. Mentioned by a few Bama fans for their OC opening. Called an “RPO genius.”
I like his resume also. Has led or near the top offensively in the ACC, on several occassions. Lost his QB to ND last year, which hurt. WF is a lot like Iowa, run the ball, use tgeir TE's. Can't lose our TEU moniker.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Not like the OC coming in will not have weapons at RB and TE. We are stocked nicely there. And Cade will be a decent QB if can stay healthy and upright.

If we hire a competent OC who is allowed to do his thing, our offense will look tremendously better with the players he has at his disposal.
Hinge a great deal on the OL. I just hope the OC allows Cade some leeway in audibles based on what he sees in the defense.

I think the OL has looked bad due in large part to the scheme/predictability.

Hard to block someone when the defense knows what's coming. Kinda like playing the Spring scrimmage against our own D.
I do as well. You could tell certain run plays well before the snap. And that QB bootleg thing they did over and over was no surprise to anyone.

Hard to block someone when the defense knows what's coming. Kinda like playing the Spring scrimmage against our own D.
I think is almost certainly more of a factor than poor OL coaching.

Reactions: Easthawk1062

I do as well. You could tell certain run plays well before the snap. And that QB bootleg thing they did over and over was no surprise to anyone.

I think is almost certainly more of a factor than poor OL coaching.

ICYMI, this was how predictable the Iowa offense was.

Nobody needed to steal our signs.

• Angry
Reactions: ddeanHawk
FWIW, Marion’s name is now getting some mention for the Arizona opening, as well as the UNLV job, should HC Barry Odom get the Zona job.

(I’m pretty skeptical of a Marion-Iowa connection, but thought I would share. The coaching carousel is fun. 😉)

maybe the delay is that the music has to stop and everyone has to claim a chair and whoever is left standing is the new IOWA OC

I still think there is a small chance he retires (after a month or two).

It would certainly be a petty, vindictive way to stick it to the AD who fired his son, but his son was certainly petty and vindictive by not wearing Iowa gear as well.

Can't say I blame him but that surprises me. I'm sure he's getting paid well at Texas but I'd have thought it would be a big bump in pay to come save Iowa's offense and he's very familiar with Big Ten defensive schemes.
Or, simply the primary reason he gets a shot at a national championship @ TX.
TX is picked 2nd behind GA next season & that's playing a SEC schedule next season. Hefty expectations indeed.

Reactions: longliveCS40
Hard to go from calling the shots to only partial control. I think Chryst wants a HC gig, He'll wait to get it. I'm sure Tejas is giving him a bump in pay.
Yeah, but over a million for an analyst job? Which is what he could make at Iowa.

I still think there is a small chance he retires (after a month or two).

It would certainly be a petty, vindictive way to stick it to the AD who fired his son, but his son was certainly petty and vindictive by not wearing Iowa gear as well.
I think a scenario like that, is the only one that gets Bob Stoops to Iowa. He wouldn’t be leaving another school in a shitty situation, and he would be saving his Alma Mater from a shitty situation. Now he might only coach 4-7 years…. But they would set us up for more

maybe Chryst is waiting for a Head Coaching job to open up

it's anyone's guess at this point
This is my take as well. Knowing Kirk, I would bet that he wants his new OC to commit to staying at Iowa for at least a few years. Based on Chryst’s rumored consideration for the Indiana and Oregon St jobs this offseason, I’m guessing he’s looking for a head job as soon as possible.

mystery
maybe Chryst is waiting for a Head Coaching job to open up

it's anyone's guess at this point
This is my take as well. Knowing Kirk, I would bet that he wants his new OC to commit to staying at Iowa for at least a few years. Based on Chryst’s rumored consideration for the Indiana and Oregon St jobs this offseason, I’m guessing he’s looking for a head job as soon as possible.
Seems weird to me if that's his reason. Then why interview for an OC position if you want to be a head coach? I've assumed from all the reporting that he was interviewed. Whether he was offered, does anyone really know?

Batman Top GIF

Sark made $35k a year at Alabama as an analyst. The only solid numbers I've seen are all sub-100k.
I do not think he is hurting for money with his buyout from the Badgers. If he wants to be a head coach again, being at Texas and in the SEC may give him a better shot than at Iowa. Maybe he looked at the roster and said no thanks. Who really knows the reason, just speculating.

Can’t really blame him with how bad the scheme was.

For some reason tho Iowa has always had trouble with getting WR who can catch the ball. The only time it was better was when we brought in Soup.

Him + KOK gave us some really good WR and passing offenses, even if they were still hindered by predictable play calling.

McNutt
DJK
K Davis
Martin Manley
Vandeburg

Plus we’ve always had strong TEs

But the recruiting the last 3-5 years has been bad when you look at what is around. Plus defections
Evaluating and coaching WR has been horrible. Jones ,great example. He should have been #1 WR when he got here.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
It’s going to be Budmayr.
Nobody outside of the program (who would be an upgrade) is going to want to come and run Kirk Ferentz’s system.

Like everything else related to the offense, it is what it is.
On one hand that’d be absolutely shocking.
On the other, he can’t be worse than Brian.

Reactions: TnT_Hawks
Need to change the thread title. Lol.
I have been yelling for a month now that the Iowa media has zero I mean zero clue what's going on. Philbin and Cryst were never going to come or were nwbwr serious candidates. The media has zero inside scoop and the football operations laughs their asses off reading this shit. Go back in this thread where I was lambasted for saying this exact same thing. Now it true?? LOL. Announcement lare this week or early next. Like it was announced a month ago. And fire away at me, and next week i will tell you I told you so

I have been yelling for a month now that the Iowa media has zero I mean zero clue what's going on. Philbin and Cryst were never going to come or were nwbwr serious candidates. The media has zero inside scoop and the football operations laughs their asses off reading this shit. Go back in this thread where I was lambasted for saying this exact same thing. Now it true?? LOL. Announcement lare this week or early next. Like it was announced a month ago. And fire away at me, and next week i will tell you I told you so
Soaker is that you? So what wisdom or inside info can you share? It's easy to say 'told you so now'.

? Iowa has traditionally given their QB's as much pre-snap responsibility as anyone in the country
Agreed. There are very few quarterbacks in college football that call their own audible anymore. Almost all of that is now called from the sideline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT