ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk gives Update on Offensive Coordinator Search. Plans to have OC in place 2nd or 3rd wk of January. Leistikow: Chryst has Best Odds at getting Job

giphy.gif

Please explain how a coach that has 19 total games called as OC in his P5 career, going 5-14 is better than Paul Chryst (Wisconsin & Pitt success as OC/HC), Joe Philbin (won Super Bowl as OC for Green Bay) or Johns that’s been a very successful OC for many D1 teams? The only person he is questionably better is BF and you can argue BF is a better OC with the success he had at Iowa. Lester is at the bottom of the list with success and ability to play calls as an OC. This hire makes zero sense, except to KF. The man has lost it.
Philbin has essentially been out of college football for a long time and admits to hating the recruiting process. He would be an OC candidate at few if any other P5 schools but was at Iowa because of his relationship with KF.

Chryst was very unlikely to be a long-term answer. He could very well have been a one year patch as many say he would like to be a HC again, and he was most likely to push back against KF than anyone on the list.

I am not purporting that Lester is better than Johns, but Lester's W/L record at a MAC school should be relatively low on this list of things to determine whether he is a fit for the Iowa OC position.

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
I am not purporting that Lester is better than Johns, but Lester's W/L record at a MAC school should be relatively low on this list of things to determine whether he is a fit for the Iowa OC position.
What about his team’s record while he was calling plays at a P5 school, which is what he’s been hired for? Where does that fall on the list? And remember all of the KF apologists’ “but 10 wins” arguments.

What about his team’s record while he was calling plays at a P5 school, which is what he’s been hired for? Where does that fall on the list? And remember all of the KF apologists’ “but 10 wins” arguments.
Not many Iowa fans fell for that argument then, so why would they try to use it now? It was a preposterous argument then, and it is still a preposterous argument now.

His offense at WMU was good, and, as I understand it, he was the play caller most of those years. He has been hired to coordinate the Iowa offense, and he has a pretty good track record of doing that recently.

Look, it may not work, but if Johns was never in the picture, Hawkeye fans would be much more satisfied today, yet most of them didn't know who Johns was a week ago.

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
I sure hope at the Monday press conference Chad calls him out on his wins per game statement juxtaposed with the subsequent Lester decision. But he probably won't.
If the presser is Monday, Leistekow might not be there. He said on his YouTube podcast today that he was off Monday to attend a funeral. Probably off Tuesday as well, he said.

groan

A tool who will not question The Fossil In Chief is now the OC.

Biff's offensive ppg may exceed Lester's.

Last edited:
I've always thought that this was at best a lazy, and at worst, an intellectually dishonest take. Anyone who was paying attention could tell that Greg Davis' offense was different than Ken O'Keefe's offense. Brian Ferentz's offense had definite similarities to Ken O'Keefe's offense, but that isn't surprising because he played in Ken O'Keefe's offense.

But if we assume for the purpose of argument that this is the correct take, we should still be pleased that the playcalling and QB coaching will be done by a former quarterback, rather than a former center.

Reactions: HWKEYZ23
Can we stop using offensive rankings for a team that plays some of the worst defenses in any conference, as a qualifier for good. 2017 Lester’s WMU beat Buffalo 72 to 68. Do you think games like that should be the narrative of good offense or non existing defense?

I think the positive is he was a former QB. But nothing in his resume suggest he is deserving of a power 5 OC opportunity.

His offense at WMU was good, and, as I understand it, he was the play caller most of those years. He has been hired to coordinate the Iowa offense, and he has a pretty good track record of doing that recently.

Can we stop using offensive rankings for a team that plays some of the worst defenses in any conference, as a qualifier for good. 2017 Lester’s WMU beat Buffalo 72 to 68. Do you think games like that should be the narrative of good offense or non existing defense?

Who was Lester's OC in 2017? Anwer: Kevin Johns.
Kevin Johns Wiki page

The worst media member in media history says one thing and everybody is in panic mode. Consider the source. The football operations leaked this and are sitting back laughing their asses off. To think Howe has the scoop if so comical. And for his butt buddy Chad to post this is also comical.
Welp. This didn't age well.

;):D;)

(For the record, I'm no fan of Howe, even if he did happen to get this one right.)

Reactions: Franisdaman
People have short memory if they don’t remember deacon throwing it down field. He just was never accurate or wide outs never were open.

Same thing people say KF never will pass more or change up formation look. bF had Iowa 50/50 some games and lining up in plenty of shot gun. The problem was just it was terrible execution or tendicies out of any look was incredible predictable. But “KF will never allow bllhhhaaa blah blah” is tiring and clearly incorrect. Unless he is mandating it must be predictable and ineffective it’s not true.

The news broke on Sunday that Kirk Ferentz is hiring Tim Lester as his new offensive coordinator, and it caused a mixed reaction.

Some fans were less than pleased with the hire since Lester had been fired as the Western Michigan head coach following the 2022 season, and because Syracuse struggled with Lester as its play caller for 19 games in the 2014 and and 2015 seasons, finishing just 5-14 in those games.

Lester spent the 2023 season as an analyst for the Green Bay Packers.

Former Iowa offensive coordinator Don Patterson upon hearing that Lester would be hired as the new offensive coordinator made a call to former Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer, who was Lester’s boss in 2014 and 2015.

Shafer spoke very highly of Lester, according to Patterson, and explained some of the reasons why Syracuse struggled with Lester as its play caller.

The biggest reason is that Syracuse’s offense was decimated by injuries, including being down to its 5th-team quarterback, during much of Lester’s time as the play caller.

Shafer told Patterson that Lester would be a good fit with Kirk Ferentz, and a positive addition to the staff.

Not many Iowa fans fell for that argument then, so why would they try to use it now? It was a preposterous argument then, and it is still a preposterous argument now.

Look, it may not work, but if Johns was never in the picture, Hawkeye fans would be much more satisfied today, yet most of them didn't know who Johns was a week ago.
I’m not sure thats true….most people have never even heard of him either. The response would have just been…..who? Which is part of the response now except there is someone to compare him to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT