ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Herbstreit doesn’t think there will be a football season

FlickShagwell

HR Legend
Jun 16, 2003
Omaha, NE
“I’ll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I’ll be so surprised if that happens,” Herbstreit recently said according to TMZ Sports.

The ESPN analyst further explained his opinion is based on the fact we likely won’t have a vaccine for the coronavirus for some time. When you take that into consideration, it may be tough for football to continue until that time arrives.

“Just because from what I understand, people that I listen to, you’re 12 to 18 months from a vaccine,” Herbstreit continued. “I don’t know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball. I just don’t know how you can do it with the optics of it.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...rbstreit-no-college-football-nfl-season-2020/

Reactions: dbrocket
“I’ll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I’ll be so surprised if that happens,” Herbstreit recently said according to TMZ Sports.

The ESPN analyst further explained his opinion is based on the fact we likely won’t have a vaccine for the coronavirus for some time. When you take that into consideration, it may be tough for football to continue until that time arrives.

“Just because from what I understand, people that I listen to, you’re 12 to 18 months from a vaccine,” Herbstreit continued. “I don’t know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball. I just don’t know how you can do it with the optics of it.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...rbstreit-no-college-football-nfl-season-2020/

Herbie is dooming next season on March 27th. With that kind of poor judgement I'm glad he's only doing his damage behind a microphone

Just because these guys have a mic it seems to make them think they are experts on everything. The boy has no more of a clue than you or I.

Feels better to say that, but with a kid on the team at Clemson, his own personal keys to the football facility at Ohio State, and the home phone number of everyone who’s anyone in college football, I think Kirk likely has more of a bead on things than the loudmouth at the next barstool.

Bwahahaha. Oh my goodness, Kirk Herbstreit said we need to worry about a virus for 8 months, it MUST be true and his opinion is gold. Everything he spouts needs to be heard, especially that the SEC is the best conference in CFB. He is an almighty national pundit who preaches and all his sheeple listeners must hear and follow.

Hahaha. Seriously why does anyone listen to any national pundit (let alone Herbie) regarding football, let alone topics that he has no knowledge about. This is not directed at the poster. Just had to point out that Herbstreit is one of the worst biased football analysts (he doesn't deserve title of analyst), he also works for the most awful sports network, he's a puppet, and he despises any other team in the BIG outside of his alma mater.

Just because these guys have a mic it seems to make them think they are experts on everything. The boy has no more of a clue than you or I.
Totally disagree..... the facts are there will be no vaccine for some time ....until then there is no way to slow this down. Even if we see the number of cases level off within days of allowing people to gather in masses again the numbers will sharply rise again. So until there is a vaccine dont expect things to change. His opinion has nothing to do with having a mic or being a expert ........if you are paying attention you will come to the same conclusion!

I don’t know why the article I linked didn’t include this quote, but he also said:

“Next thing you know you got a locker room full of guys that are sick. And that's on your watch? I wouldn't want to have that."

"As much as I hate to say it, I think we're scratching the surface of where this thing's gonna go."

He makes a good point. All it takes is a breakout in one locker room at any school and heads will roll. Who wants to be the person to sign off on that?

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/27/kirk-herbstreit-nfl-football-college/

Reactions: dbrocket
Sorry. Not buying it.
Football will be played. The virus is not that bad.
It's a flu hug.
Yes, I had it. Recovered after 4 days.
I'm 53 years old. Oh, and I'm a smoker. But yes, I'm still alive. Oddly, I craved orange juice the entire time, and now they're say vitamin C is very helpful ffg or COVID 19.

If this thing is still going on when it’s time to report to camp, then yes, I can see a cancellation but if things start to calm down and numbers really come down in late May, into June, with July being a calm month, then I can see there is a chance to play. If it’s still raging into June and July, no way and it will suck if no football, college and NFL.

I’m hoping to see all sports pushed back to summer and fall. They are talking about The Masters being played in November. This sports year is going to be different and interesting. We need sports to help us through this cause life without sports sucks.

And yes, it played havoc on my lungs. Hurt like hell, coughed like crazy. I couldn't smoke a cigarette for for 5 days!
It sucked..
I'm O+ so will be donating the plasma antibodies for others to recover. I guess that's a thing now... if you had it, donate your plasma.
My wife, who took care of me the whole time, is O-, and she never did catch it from me! Crazy, right!?

Reactions: Hammer93
Totally disagree..... the facts are there will be no vaccine for some time ....until then there is no way to slow this down. Even if we see the number of cases level off within days of allowing people to gather in masses again the numbers will sharply rise again. So until there is a vaccine dont expect things to change. His opinion has nothing to do with having a mic or being a expert ........if you are paying attention you will come to the same conclusion!

No one really knows how this thing is going to play out, and that includes the so called experts and you. Only time will tell.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

Let's check in on this on June 27th. Now, just irresponsible to say that.

Everybody initially scoffed at NCAA, NBA, NASAR, MLB, Golf, etc. He has more insight into CFB than just about anybody in the world. If he is saying it I believe it. He knows something.

And yes, it played havoc on my lungs. Hurt like hell, coughed like crazy. I couldn't smoke a cigarette for for 5 days!
It sucked..
I'm O+ so will be donating the plasma antibodies for others to recover. I guess that's a thing now... if you had it, donate your plasma.
My wife, who took care of me the whole time, is O-, and she never did catch it from me! Crazy, right!?

Glad you have recovered! I have a good friend with an immune deficiency that is motivation to donate plasma. So please become a regular donor even as we get through this. It can be time consuming but they pay decent and it saves a ton of lives. Especially for people like him in this moment.

I know Herby is basing his statements off the 12-18 month timeline on a vaccine. I have to believe that this will get sped up. I trust the medical professionals that are working on it that they will do it safely.

Unfortunately he’s right. If there’s no vaccine or at least a drug to lessen the effects of this thing by football season, we won’t be able to go back to life as normal until it happens.

Reactions: HawkGem11
All I will say is look at MLB and their commissioner who is probably is the know with more people than herbie is still talking about playing a modified season. A sport that is winding down when football starts. Less fans capacity wise but lot more fans attending than football. Honestly who knows when sports will be played especially people like Kirk herbstreidt.

My take is its less than 2 weeks into spring. Let’s least wait till summer before we get to doom and gloom scenarios. Absolutely no one knows how this thing will look like in a few weeks let along a couple of months.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I know Herby is basing his statements off the 12-18 month timeline on a vaccine. I have to believe that this will get sped up. I trust the medical professionals that are working on it that they will do it safely.

Dude. 12-18 months IS being sped up for a vaccine. Most vaccines take years (5-20) to be developed. 12-18 months is unbelievably fast and the absolute earliest we will see it. We will not see a vaccine in a few weeks or months as some are hoping. Have to make sure it works and is safe on humans and that takes time. To think a decision maker would say we will open the country up and have "full churches on Easter" is absolutely ridiculous.

That's an insane thing for Herb to say. Hell, the President said we'd be back to normal in time for the Easter Bunny to raise his hell. I believe him!

I agree that it's too early to make these kind of statements, but I also agree that we haven't seen this thing slow down in the US yet.

We're also coming out of flu season. What happens in the fall when the season starts back up again? Kirk isn't really saying anything that we aren't thinking too.

Start worrying about bb and wr too. VERY bad year for Iowa to lose those two.

Herbstreit is no epidemiologist, and knows as much about covid19 as he does about football. We just have to let this play out and see what happens. Even the top dr's don't know when this will let up.

My source says ncaa making plans to have fall 2020 football season in spring 2021. Don’t shoot the messenger

He may be right, but it's too early to say. We'll have more data by June/July and know more by then (although maybe we still won't know--too early to say we'll know on any specific date). With no sports to cover, speculation is all there is to talk about right now.

Not an expert but I do work in healthcare. We are planning on the peak sure in the next 3-4 weeks from all credible sources. No one is saying how long it is going to take to flush through the system once we get hit.

We will see images on TV in the next few months that will scare the s#$t out of people...thousands of sick in 1000 bed emergency hospitals in convention centers etc....many left to just lie in beds as there will not be enough doctors, nurses etc to care for them. We will see bodies piled into refrigerated tractor trailers in the back of hospitals like is already happening in NYC.
A vaccine will take 12-18 months and that is of we speed it up. A drug treatment is best hope.
There will be no sports this year.
I pray I am wrong but doubt it.
I have worked in ICUs and hospitals for years. Each patient on a vent takes a lot of personnel...respiratory techs, skilled nurses, doctors, other technicians etc.
There are not enough medical workers to handle this.
What happens when the UPS, USPS, grocery workers etc get sick....disruption of delivery supply chains including food!
Stay indoors and pray.
JMHO.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I don’t know why the article I linked didn’t include this quote, but he also said:

“Next thing you know you got a locker room full of guys that are sick. And that's on your watch? I wouldn't want to have that."

"As much as I hate to say it, I think we're scratching the surface of where this thing's gonna go."

He makes a good point. All it takes is a breakout in one locker room at any school and heads will roll. Who wants to be the person to sign off on that?

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/27/kirk-herbstreit-nfl-football-college/
People dont realize what kind of big deal the Olympics postponing this year is relative to the college football start time. Nothing is certain, but the doubts being had are formed from a legitimate premise

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Everyone has an opinion. Some are positive which others consider naive. At this point as far as I can tell nobody knows. I will say I don’t think Herbie would say something like he did unless he got it from people in the know. He is very well connected and said he would be surprised if there is football. We all hope that isn’t true and probably nobody more so than Herbie. But, and maybe I am wrong, I just don’t think Herbie woke up the other day and say it without hearing it from people he trusts would know (to the extent anyone knows anything).

Reactions: dekhawk
Glad you have recovered! I have a good friend with an immune deficiency that is motivation to donate plasma. So please become a regular donor even as we get through this. It can be time consuming but they pay decent and it saves a ton of lives. Especially for people like him in this moment.

If your accepting pay for it then that blood will not be used on patients. They use that for testing only. If you go to Life Serve like I have (over 100 times, and yes, I'm old) they used that for hospitals. That's what I was told by Life Serve.

According to a video I saw, there is already a patent for a corona virus vaccine. It was finalized in 2019.
It just may be conspiracy nonsense though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT