ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk mentioned a couple things going on with last Friday's kicking game

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I heard this in his recent presser. There were no followup questions to find out what he meant. But that opens up some possibilities about allowing too much penetration by the defense, maybe some slight timing in snap and hold. Kirk mentioned his long discussion he called it with Stevens and how he used the right approach which is to have Stevens focus on the positives in his past success and to focus on a great week in practice.

I am no kicking expert but Iowa has had a long string of great kickers going back 10 years. And for each one once in awhile you see a very old looking kick. Something so odd that signals a lack of timing in the unit, the tilt of the ball being off, laces, etc.

Even the game winner had issues with the snap. If it weren't for a great recovery and hold by Taylor that would have gone poorly as well. I've been wondering if the problem was more than just Stephens. Often times kicks missed that badly have a lot more going on than the kicker. That's no excuse for his missed kick offs though. Obviously the missed field goals was affecting his mental state and it bled into his kick offs as well. Hopefully they can work it out in practice this week and he can get his confidence back.

I heard this in his recent presser. There were no followup questions to find out what he meant. But that opens up some possibilities about allowing too much penetration by the defense, maybe some slight timing in snap and hold. Kirk mentioned his long discussion he called it with Stevens and how he used the right approach which is to have Stevens focus on the positives in his past success and to focus on a great week in practice.

I am no kicking expert but Iowa has had a long string of great kickers going back 10 years. And for each one once in awhile you see a very old looking kick. Something so odd that signals a lack of timing in the unit, the tilt of the ball being off, laces, etc.
I had this thought about the two blocked field goals. Stevens gets his distance with a low trajectory off the hold. The two defensive lineman from Nebraska were, about what 6'7" tall, and with a jump, they were able to block the kick. Maybe that is why Kirk put in Meeder with a more initial loft???

Why did he kick two out of bounds?
Did the coaching staff want him to not do his normal kick deep into the endzone because in the wind the kick might have been returned. I am basing this on a comment Mark Brooks or some broadcaster made on the Hawkeye radio Network game cast which was something like "they might have wanted the kickoff to be between the left hashmarks and the sidelines". Now that narrows your target. By kicking the ball closer to the sideline it makes your coverage team in better angles to pin them in on the return.

And several people have mentioned the groin problem as a possible issue but that has never been verified.

I had this thought about the two blocked field goals. Stevens gets his distance with a low trajectory off the hold. The two defensive lineman from Nebraska were, about what 6'7" tall, and with a jump, they were able to block the kick. Maybe that is why Kirk put in Meeder with a more initial loft???
Needed the sand wedge kick.

Reactions: RPWinni0
We've seen Kirk (and all coaches) try to keep injuries under wrap before. Given Drew's struggles to give the placekicks some loft, and not keeping kickoffs in bounds, I believe the groin injury rumor, and they're doing their best to work around it.

I doubt the backup kicker travels for every road game. His presence in Nebraska hints that there was a real need in the coaches mind. That likely points to injury, though maybe it was just Drew's recent struggles.

We may find out after the BTTG that Drew is hurt.

Another factor that folks aren't mentioning is that cold weather often hardens the ball ... and that makes it so that the ball doesn't leave from your foot the same way that it ordinarily does. Notice that Tory's kicks weren't quite as impressive as they usually were either.

Add in a swirling wind, a possible physical ailment, and other issues (snap, blocking, etc) ... some of the issues can get put in context.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT