ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk or Fran

Kirk has made the Orange Bowl twice and Rose Bowl once. I'd compare that to Sweet 16. Winning one Orange Bowl is Elite 8 if we're trying to compare.

GA4BkIFbwAAlk0l.jpg

I wish he would have stunk that Rose Bowl.

Reactions: spiderland
Fran is 0-28 in taking Teams to to a Sweet 16 and has 4 TOTAL NCAA Tourney wins , TOTAL . He is not worthy of even picking up Bryan Ferentz's soiled jock strap. He should have been terminated long ago .

Reactions: GOHOX69 and Legs94
Fran is 0-28 in taking Teams to to a Sweet 16 and has 4 TOTAL NCAA Tourney wins , TOTAL . He is not worthy of even picking up Bryan Ferentz's soiled jock strap. He should have been terminated long ago .
He's nowhere near that bad. Fran is at least good on offense but horrific on defense. Brian's comps would be the running game and passing game. He was horrific at both. Brian was likely as bad at his job as any offensive coordinator ever.

Fran should be relieved as well, he's just not on par with Brian.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Kirk has two Big Ten titles (2002 & 2004) and won an Orange Bowl. It's hard to say what the basketball equivalent to those might be, but whatever it is, Fran hasn't reached anything that I'd say is equivalent.

Kirk's best days are well behind him UNLESS Lester can get the offense shored up, but his body of work beats Fran all day.

What is the sweet 16 equivalent? I think Kirk is much more impressive than Fran resume wise.
Fran has to play against about 350 or so teams in D1 I believe. So one might think that waters down the pool of talent and makes it harder to get some players. At the same time BBall compared to football is easier to build a really good powerful team. Fran and Luka for two years, Keegan and Kris , all of them over 4 years and playing together . These are great to very good college players. You only need two really good to great players and good to very good players around them to win big in Bball

But Fran has never had a great point guard.

Kirk has teams that are close to a very solid 44 deep. Kirk has top 10 finishes to the year, conf championships, and much more balanced solid teams.

Fran would have to be in the top 30 to have what numerically is a top 10 football season. Fran has been close to that but his postseason is also a blight on his record

Reactions: BlIIlken2
Fran needs to go
I think it’s best for Fran to go. I would like to see him at a basketball school like Georgetown or another a Big East or ACC school where he could recruit and not have the limitations inherent in Iowa. Our low population, lack of high school pipelines, and rural setting have hindered the programs since Lute. I could see him having very sustained successful at a historically better basketball school - that just is not us.

Kirk has made the Orange Bowl twice and Rose Bowl once. I'd compare that to Sweet 16. Winning one Orange Bowl is Elite 8 if we're trying to compare.
Probably the best comparison so far. However I may go so far as to the first orange bowl may have been comparable to a final four. If the four team playoff existed Iowa would have been in that mix. Just because they lost big in the orange bowl doesn't take away the body of work that year. That squad beat good teams, some quite handedly. Sometimes even really great teams get beat in their last game.

Ready for them both to be gone. FM is just mediocre all around and KF is a dinosaur, the game has passed him by. Time for new blood, new energy. BG was a great first step.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT