ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk suspended for first game

Just super. Now if the offense looks pretty good or even decent Game 1 fans will assume it's because KF wasn't there.

:mad:
May be the case.

I think karma already took care of the punishment having a limited/injured QB transfer and essentially sit since he got here. Hope it works out this year for Cade but his track record the past couple years hasn’t been overly impressive.

Absolutely. So some one remind me, what was Alabama's penalty again for going after Nixon when he was in Juco when Iowa still had first dibs on him? As you said this HAS to be rampant with portal players, especially the ones who sign right away with another team.
Exactly. Zero penalty for Bama, but when our coaches tried to be supportive of Proctor, then he announced he was heading to Iowa, "Tampering!"

Zero possibility of tampering while Proctor was on Spring Break with Bama players.

In short this "system", for lack of an appropriate term, sucks.

In a nutshell. The gall they have, like this isn't happening everywhere. Anybody think that most of the SEC schools aren't doing this all the time?
As someone else said, if you're going 65 in a 60 while every other car is going 90, you're still speeding and can't claim innocence if pulled over and given a citation.

That having been said, if the objective for those who make and enforce the rules is to ensure public safety and round up the worst offenders, then pulling over the slow speeders while turning a blind eye to The Fast and the Furious is disingenuous window dressing.

I'm still trying to figure out the NCAAs angle on this one. Tampering is so rampant now. It makes me wonder about their thought process. "We give the most tenured ethical coach in the NCAA a 1 game suspension for 1 act of tampering."
"1 act = 1 game".
The precedent has been set as the Alabama coach now gets 36 charges, the xxx coach 23, the xxx coach 16 etc.
I realize there is no enforcement anymore but they have set this one up. NAH!!! Never happen. 8 days to opening kickoff.
I don’t think they have any guidelines….they fly by the seat of their pants. I do think they occasionally try to flex their muscles to prove they are still “in charge”.

(I am speaking in general terms, not in Kirk’s case, since the University handed out the punishment)

I wonder how the team will operate without Kirk? Will Wallace coach differently than Kirk? I've seen a lot of people scoff at the idea of us playing any other way other than Kirk ball, but I think it's a totally valid question to ask. His job is to ensure the team wins, and he has to do whatever he thinks is right, not what he thinks Kirk would do.

It'll be interesting to see game not coached by Kirk, the first time in over a quarter century.

You can't see the difference between this and sending people in disguise to do recon

I wonder how the team will operate without Kirk? Will Wallace coach differently than Kirk? I've seen a lot of people scoff at the idea of us playing any other way other than Kirk ball, but I think it's a totally valid question to ask. His job is to ensure the team wins, and he has to do whatever he thinks is right, not what he thinks Kirk would do.

It'll be interesting to see game not coached by Kirk, the first time in over a quarter century.
I think if we play better than last year on offense it is because of offensive line play, QB play and WR play. Same as if KF was there.

Listening to that press conference, I think Kirk is taking the fall for Budmayr. He went out of his way to repeatedly fall on his sword, once was enough. I give him credit for doing so. Ultimately, he's responsible for the football program. However, I now doubt he was involved in the contact at all. He may have been informed about it, but likely he had no direct communication with Cade at that point. He probably wasn’t even aware that what Budmayr did was a violation until he was told later on. But he stepped up, did the right thing, and is time to move on.

What I would like to see is some journalist(s) doing a long piece on the inconsistencies of enforcement of NCAA recruiting rules - with specific examples and interviews to show the disparity, with sources and references; something to shine a spotlight on the increasing worthlessness of the NCAA. I've given up on that organization. It's pathetic the way they always pluck the lowest hanging fruit and take passes on the blue bloods.

Listening to that press conference, I think Kirk is taking the fall for Budmayr. He went out of his way to repeatedly fall on his sword, once was enough. I give him credit for doing so. Ultimately, he's responsible for the football program. However, I now doubt he was involved in the contact at all. He may have been informed about it, but likely he had no direct communication with Cade at that point. He probably wasn’t even aware that what Budmayr did was a violation until he was told later on. But he stepped up, did the right thing, and is time to move on.

What I would like to see is some journalist(s) doing a long piece on the inconsistencies of enforcement of NCAA recruiting rules - with specific examples and interviews to show the disparity, with sources and references; something to shine a spotlight on the increasing worthlessness of the NCAA. I've given up on that organization. It's pathetic the way they always pluck the lowest hanging fruit and take passes on the blue bloods.
Why would Kirk take the fall for Budmayr? the WR coach

The NCAA is so mad at Michigan they are giving KF a one game suspension.
Do people on here read or listen to what happened?

He and receivers coach Jon Budmayr will face a one game, self-imposed suspension for the first game of the season against Illinois State, according to the University of Iowa.

Why would Kirk take the fall for Budmayr? the WR coach
Thought I covered that. It's quite obvious why Budmayr is being suspended. I also doubt we'll ever hear from Budmayr on the subject. That is because Kirk is ultimately responsible, and he gets that. Shit has happened in this program, some real, some inflated, and Kirk has stepped up and taken the bullets. You may recall in light of the allegations of racism, the first thing he did was to go to his players and coaches and tell them he would resign right then if they thought it necessary. I submit that not many coaches would have put their multi-year, multi-million dollar contract on the line like that. Some may not like him, don't like how he coaches, whatever, but one cannot rightly charge him of running for cover when the shit hits the fan.

From what I have read, I don’t think the NCAA did this, but rather Iowa chose it after self reporting.
Not exactly. What I read was that Iowa "was informed" that it was being "looked into" by the NCAA. Beth sat down with Kirk and a discussion took place to decide the best course of action and then Iowa beat the investigation back by self reporting that they had in fact committed a level 2 violation, and Kirk and Bud would serve a one game suspension. Kirk said in the presser that the NCAA was fine closing the book at that point I believe.

Reactions: CyberJJ
Thought I covered that. It's quite obvious why Budmayr is being suspended. I also doubt we'll ever hear from Budmayr on the subject. That is because Kirk is ultimately responsible, and he gets that. Shit has happened in this program, some real, some inflated, and Kirk has stepped up and taken the bullets. You may recall in light of the allegations of racism, the first thing he did was to go to his players and coaches and tell them he would resign right then if they thought it necessary. I submit that not many coaches would have put their multi-year, multi-million dollar contract on the line like that. Some may not like him, don't like how he coaches, whatever, but one cannot rightly charge him of running for cover when the shit hits the fan.
Very well stated Brother. Kirk's ALWAYS stood out front.

‘Doing it the right way’

Signed Gary Barta
kirk-sad_medium.gif

Was it? I thought so too at the time. Then I realized that we are all faced with choices. Some will choose this and some will choose that. We can not make the choices for others, but we can make the choices for ourselves. So I guess you pick a side and if there were not sides, we would not be free to choose, now would we?
Came across differently to me. But I wasn't there for full context. Glad it helped you.

Earlier in this thread, the question was raised as to whether The Capt's absence will perhaps loosen up the offense, resulting in such things as "bet the over", etc..
It is safe to assume that hell will freeze over before The Capt's dictates are not followed, regardless of who is calling the shots.
With that said, IF The Capt has a priori granted Lester the right to open up the Offense more, we may see an Offensive uptick.
Against an FCS opponent, we certainly SHOULD see some significant offense.
Time will tell.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Do people on here read or listen to what happened?

He and receivers coach Jon Budmayr will face a one game, self-imposed suspension for the first game of the season against Illinois State, according to the University of Iowa.
I guess some people didn't get my joke or the reference.

I once was bothered by something and went and asked a minister about it. What she told me was " for every good thing we do, someone else does something bad". When she told me that, I was discouraged and thought, then the best we can hope for is to break even. After I thought about it though, would we rather keep our heads above water, or let it all go down the tubes??? So basically I guess I do not give a shit what other coaches and programs do, I care what ours does. For every good coach there may be a bad one, and so be it, but if we do not try then we are destined for failure. So yeah, I can see where KF might have haters. Not to mention, sometimes we are tested if for no other reason then to see how we respond. See if we can walk the walk or just talk the talk.

this is interesting. crazy that this was "uncovered" from a podcast.

Or everyone is over reacting and as Michigan was being investigated........... Cade came from Michigan and maybe they were looking into who was coming and going from Michigan and that is all there is to it. The part I guess I don't understand about the rules, is this. What if a kid reaches out to a coach at another school first??? You are not allowed to text back?? Or answer any questions?? I mean let;s say Cade was in California and was shopping around for a place to play and texted Bud who recruited him at one time. Is the rule that Bud can't text him back at all??? Because that is frigging stupid.

Or everyone is over reacting and as Michigan was being investigated........... Cade came from Michigan and maybe they were looking into who was coming and going from Michigan and that is all there is to it. The part I guess I don't understand about the rules, is this. What if a kid reaches out to a coach at another school first??? You are not allowed to text back?? Or answer any questions?? I mean let;s say Cade was in California and was shopping around for a place to play and texted Bud who recruited him at one time. Is the rule that Bud can't text him back at all??? Because that is frigging stupid.
Much is dumb about the NCAA.

The Boz was right way back in the day.

Is this the most Iowa thing ever? We suspend our coaches for doing exactly the same thing every other coach in college football has been doing for decades.
It wouldn’t shock me if Kirk offered to lose a few scholarships too. I bet the NCAA said, “no Kirk, there’s no reason for a suspension.
It’s not that big of a deal, but you can do whatever you want, we guess.”

the enthusiasm and eagerness displayed by kirk in repeatedly (even when uncalled for in his response) taking the blame was comedic. makes me think that (1) the infraction is something trivial and (2) meant to put pressure on the ncaa to prosecute more serious violations.

the enthusiasm and eagerness displayed by kirk in repeatedly (even when uncalled for in his response) taking the blame was comedic. makes me think that (1) the infraction is something trivial and (2) meant to put pressure on the ncaa to prosecute more serious violations.
Maybe. He is known for some well-placed sarcasm. Usually it is accompanied by a couple of snorts. This press conference seemed to be snort-free.

Earlier in this thread, the question was raised as to whether The Capt's absence will perhaps loosen up the offense, resulting in such things as "bet the over", etc..
It is safe to assume that hell will freeze over before The Capt's dictates are not followed, regardless of who is calling the shots.
With that said, IF The Capt has a priori granted Lester the right to open up the Offense more, we may see an Offensive uptick.
Against an FCS opponent, we certainly SHOULD see some significant offense.
Time will tell.
I’m sure they won’t show a lot with the clones coming in the following Saturday. It only makes sense to keep things under wrap until we need utilize the whole playbook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT