ADVERTISEMENT

Kolby Franklin commits

Really good looking prospect.

My uneducated opinion makes me think this closes the book on recruiting Voelker. This next comment is in no way intended as a "slant" on WV, but it might give ISU an opportunity to recruit one of the better upper weight in State kids and end Dresser's drought.

Last edited:
Looks like TnT got the Iowa guys they wanted, now get 2-3 national studs and things looking pretty decent.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Welcome Kolby, I watched a hand full of his recent matches. He has a very big frame and good HP for 195, he has some very good movement and skills set. Looks raw and a lot to build on, I’m sure if TnT were interested then he is a hard worker so all great things to look forward to. Loading up on the uppers is great to see

Last edited:
Welcome aboard young man! Great addition to the upper weights! Really like seeing that the Hawks are keeping the PA pipeline open.

Gotta admit I had to really keep @23 so far in mind and not over-think it when I spotted Franklin in the background at Super 32's being very animated during one of the Iowa kids matches.
I admit I got a good chuckle out of this. I'm also going to take it as a compliment, regardless of intent. 🙂 Nature will take it's course.

We ultimately got a potential very good upper weight recruit (#37 overall, we'll see how it goes), at the end of the day that's the good news.

Last edited:

Always enjoy Cody Goodwin's articles. Couple of great quotes from Kolby in there:

"It was the people, the atmosphere in the room, the way people acted, the way my personality matches a lot of the guys on the team," Franklin said. "When I’ve been out there, it just felt right."

"I grew up really, really close to Penn State," Franklin said, "and even trained at Penn State and had great relationships with those coaches. It’s kind of crazy to think that I’m going to be at Iowa now."

"I just like how much they’re dedicated to their wrestlers and how much they want to help them succeed," Franklin said. "They’re worried about how they can help you reach your full potential and how they can help you reach your goals. I can tell that just by watching them practice and meeting with them."

He said he did a lot of training at PSU and always thought he would go there but just ended up liking the cut of Iowa’s jib a bit better.
Some kids grow up loving PSU and wanting to wrestle there until they don't. Thomas Haines was one of those kids...

Some kids grow up loving PSU and wanting to wrestle there until they don't. Thomas Haines was one of those kids...
Kolby isnt Haines!! He made the right choice. The one that was right for him. Haines went on instinct and it was the wrong choice. No comparison. Don’t do that. Go back to psu rivals and do that. Not here

Reactions: Grip220
i'm going to guess that tom and terry brands probably had a bigger impact than the governor lol unless she's the new volunteer assistant
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic with that comment.

In real life, young people are fleeing this State.

The wrestling commits coming here are the exception, not the rule.

Apologies for the political reference.

Yup. Happens to Iowa all the time.
Facts!! more so than psu. Especially recently. With their success in the past 10 years. They didn’t have that problem until Cael got there. New fan base that wasn’t always there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT