ADVERTISEMENT

KXNO interview with Swarm founder

Not only that, the NIL guy has to know who they should offer that Kirk would even be interested in. NIL can offer whoever, but doesn't mean Kirk gives the thumbs up. And also understand the priorities in terms of needs, because maybe you "overpay" for a guy because you need him above all else.

Someday the schools with have a GM like the pros do.
I agree, the schools need GM's now. But the problem is that the NIL and portal created the GM position that cannot be filled by anyone associated with the universities. Talk about asking for corruption.

How is it that the NIL has to come from outside money, yet, none of the tv money that goes to the conference (B1G just signed the sparkling 7 billion dollar deal) can go to the NIL?
We don't have that future money yet to spend.

I assume we are looking at a new baseball stadium, some kind of major reno of Carver if not outright implosion and do over, and another major reno of east and west stands of Kinnick and probably adds for athletic training, etc.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I agree, the schools need GM's now. But the problem is that the NIL and portal created the GM position that cannot be filled by anyone associated with the universities. Talk about asking for corruption.
It sure is and as with society, some will partake (burner phones, etc) and some will walk a boundary and some will be very conservative until the picture is much clearer.

How is it that the NIL has to come from outside money, yet, none of the tv money that goes to the conference (B1G just signed the sparkling 7 billion dollar deal) can go to the NIL?
Because people needed a bad guy to root against and the NCAA made a perfect fall guy, instead of the TV networks that have spent years delegitimizing the regular season and bowl games through selective coverage.

I think that’s just one more lawsuit away from changing. Even NIL wasn’t allowed until very recently and then the Supreme Court voted 9-0 that it made no sense to make an athlete ineligible for accepting money. I would love to see what the Supreme Court thinks about the NCAA deeming a player ineligible for accepting money directly from a school. I’m sure there are a bunch of schools across the South that are itching to share TV money with players but right now the NCAA doesn’t allow it.

I think that’s just one more lawsuit away from changing. Even NIL wasn’t allowed until very recently and then the Supreme Court voted 9-0 that it made no sense to make an athlete ineligible for accepting money. I would love to see what the Supreme Court thinks about the NCAA deeming a player ineligible for accepting money directly from a school. I’m sure there are a bunch of schools across the South that are itching to share TV money with players but right now the NCAA doesn’t allow it.
Simple solution...pay your OC/DC $4M per year each w/TV $$$, and they donate $2M each per year to the Collective. Pay the HC $20m per year w/TV $$$, and he donate $10M per year to the Collective.

If you follow him on twitter, he has been tweeting out examples of other ADs doing what he wishes Barta would. Here is one example. If Barta really believes Title 9 means he can’t help, then he needs to go to the BigTen office and have them state that it’s a BigTen policy to not do what other ADs are doing. As it is, we have a self-imposed policy that is causing us to fall behind our peer institutions.

Why have MI players themselves stated that the MI NIL situation is screwed up? Sounds like what the AD says and what is happening are out of synch.

• Haha
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Why have MI players themselves stated that the MI NIL situation is screwed up? Sounds like what the AD says and what is happening are out of synch.
Brad talks about that in the linked interview in the OP. Michigan got a slow start on NIL but I don’t think anyone seriously expects them to stay behind for long.

Why are other schools not following the rules do you think? I'm very irritated to hear other schools are contacting our players and using nil to entice them away. Maybe you should take over for the completely incompetent ncaa. I'd love to have someone like you in charge after some of our discussions.
I doubt other schools are doing much, but their booster organizations might be more loosely associated with the ADs. I would guess that many SEC schools have shadow booster clubs that have been operating off the books for many years. Their membership would be up for grabs with no Title IX issues.

Brad talks about that in the linked interview in the OP. Michigan got a slow start on NIL but I don’t think anyone seriously expects them to stay behind for long.
Again, a lot of talk but if MI were handing out info that Iowa's lawyers have advised against Iowa doing it, the they are going to encounter problems. But I doubt they have.

And is Brad actually being confrontational with the Iowa AD? I can't see where that would help him/the SWARM to accomplish their goals.

So what percentage of the nil donations goes to Brad?
Excellent question as his media blitz continues. What other staff? Are they establishing an investment fund- who manages, inv policies in place, terms of service? Not suggesting he’s not a stand up honest guy, but legit questions none the less.

990s will be fascinating when we get to see them.

Again, a lot of talk but if MI were handing out info that Iowa's lawyers have advised against Iowa doing it, the they are going to encounter problems. But I doubt they have.

And is Brad actually being confrontational with the Iowa AD? I can't see where that would help him/the SWARM to accomplish their goals.
Again, he talks about that in the linked interview. The radio hosts asked him what Kirk and Fran thought about this and he basically said Kirk is happy someone is holding the Iowa AD accountable in terms of keeping up with the changing landscape.

One restroom for men and one for women and like two toilets in each. It definitely needs it. And we would definitely go to more games if the facility was even better. Assume they could do an indoor attachment for winter practice. Not sure what or where they go to practice in winter now.
Heller is a heck of a coach. Remember golfing with him in Fayette years ago. Really intense guy and knowledgeable besides.

Again, he talks about that in the linked interview. The radio hosts asked him what Kirk and Fran thought about this and he basically said Kirk is happy someone is holding the Iowa AD accountable in terms of keeping up with the changing landscape.
I know that we'll never hear it but it would be good to get the AD's and coaches' input on this. As it is, this is one side of story.

I know that we'll never hear it but it would be good to get the AD's and coaches' input on this. As it is, this is one side of story.
Unfortunately the ad would give lame responses that make no sense. Love to hear an interview with kf about the swarm and then nil in general

Most of my family are upper Iowa grads. Lots of fun phrases yelled during football games when they are on defense. Stiffen up cks etc, lol

Reactions: BBHawk
Most of my family are upper Iowa grads. Lots of fun phrases yelled during football games when they are on defense. Stiffen up cks etc, lol
Their lifting shirts say "Cock Power".

Beautiful campus and stadium. Absolutely NOTHING else in Fayette. It's one of like 3 colleges in the nation located in a town without an airport. They're woefully outmatched in the NSIC.

Beautiful campus and stadium. Absolutely NOTHING else in Fayette. It's one of like 3 colleges in the nation located in a town without an airport. They're woefully outmatched in the NSIC.

True about the NSIC. Be interesting to see how things change with the new conference.

Whoever Barta (university) is getting their counseling from I hope the university is using a different firm from Barta's previous legal matters.

just listened to the interview. Interesting that Brad said that both Kirk & Fran have called & thanked him for holding Iowa's athletics administration accountable.

Even for the richest schools, I’m not sure $10m/year is sustainable.
Lol, you serious? If each fan at one Iowa game gave $150, we’ve already eclipsed 10 mil. ONE GAME. Look, I love Iowa football and don‘t want us to continue with this bullshit “awe shucks, we’re just Iowa“ attitude. Lets go get this money and get some big time players. Some of y’all acting like NIL will be the detriment of our program. I completely disagree and see it as leveling the field.

How connected to the program/university/state do donors to this fund need to be? The Swarm should look at getting some big-time oil sheiks in there. Only half kidding.

I can see some fans getting fed up with this becoming a professional sport with no salary cap. Not good in the long run. It's already the haves and have nots, it's only going to get worse from here.
Like MLB. Is it really problematic?

I agree with you on that. Kirk has said in a few interviews that he is concerned with the current state of college athletics. I mean, how could you not be? There is a reason every other sport has players sign contracts, with rules in place to ensure some sort of level playing field. But until the schools pay the players directly we can’t really have any of that. Right now we are in this weird in-between state where we pretend they are amateurs who shouldn’t get paid, but then they make millions from outside sources.

But all of that griping aside, until some governing body lays down some common sense rules, we have to try to keep up with NIL. If we don’t we will fall further and further behind and I’m sure KF is smart enough to realize that. We can bitch and moan all we want but at the end of the day we have to compete and right now NIL is the primary means schools are using to recruit.

Simple solution...pay your OC/DC $4M per year each w/TV $$$, and they donate $2M each per year to the Collective. Pay the HC $20m per year w/TV $$$, and he donate $10M per year to the Collective.
This is somewhat I meant by being creative with NIL and was laughed at by many on the board. Bend the rules don’t break them.

Reactions: jo12208
Lol, you serious? If each fan at one Iowa game gave $150, we’ve already eclipsed 10 mil. ONE GAME. Look, I love Iowa football and don‘t want us to continue with this bullshit “awe shucks, we’re just Iowa“ attitude. Lets go get this money and get some big time players. Some of y’all acting like NIL will be the detriment of our program. I completely disagree and see it as leveling the field.

Look, $10m currently seems like the floor for NIL, per year, and without any rules or regulatory body to enforce them, that cost is likely only to go up.

So no, I do not agree that NIL as it currently exists is sustainable or good for the sport.

Why are other schools not following the rules do you think? I'm very irritated to hear other schools are contacting our players and using nil to entice them away. Maybe you should take over for the completely incompetent ncaa. I'd love to have someone like you in charge after some of our discussions.
Why can't I run it?..............

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk

I grew up in a town about 20 minutes ne of Fayette. 18 kids in my highschool class. 8 girls and i knew for sure i was related to 4 of them. Probably the other 4 also lol. Clermont, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous!

• Haha
Reactions: SI_NYC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT