ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Schwarber alert

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
CSN Chicago has a split squad game of the Cubs and A's on right now. Schwarber has come into catch in the 7th inning. If he can catch a little his pathway to the majors becomes clearer and faster. If not he has to move to LF, assuming Kris Bryant can play 3B at the MLB level and doesn't have to move to the OF.

Originally posted by lucas80:
CSN Chicago has a split squad game of the Cubs and A's on right now. Schwarber has come into catch in the 7th inning. If he can catch a little his pathway to the majors becomes clearer and faster. If not he has to move to LF, assuming Kris Bryant can play 3B at the MLB level and doesn't have to move to the OF.

Everything I've read from people that have actually seen him catch has said he should be able to stick behind the plate. If so, you have to think the Cubs will take it easy with him.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I have very little belief that the Cubs will make the post season this year, but I want them to be competitive. I can not handle another season that is over by May 1st. I believe they will be about a .500 team and they will at least be competing for a wild card spot going into the second half of the season.

I thought Schwarbers path to Chicago was via 1B? Also, nugget posed on WSCR today- Does Baez start in Chicago this season or at Iowa? Not following spring ball but apparently he is not having a stellar spring.

Originally posted by ICWestfan:

I thought Schwarbers path to Chicago was via 1B? Also, nugget posed on WSCR today- Does Baez start in Chicago this season or at Iowa? Not following spring ball but apparently he is not having a stellar spring.
Schwarber will not be at 1B. Not with Anthony Rizzo locked down for a bunch of years. I'd love for him to show enough versatility to play multiple positions. Get to the majors and get AB's at various spots until the position is firmed up. His bat is ahead of his catching skills now. He has shown to be open to instruction.
I have been saying all along that Baez needed to go back to AAA and work on the swing for a bit there. Jed Hoyer said in an interview I heard in January that he expects him to start in Chicago. Things could change. Lot's of guys go back and forth once or twice before sticking at the MLB level. And, Baez is the one prospect I'd most like to see the Cubs shop. Addison Russell had a fine game last night. He's killing the ball and showing great defensive skills. He will start in AAA no matter what. But, he will force the issue soon enough. Where will he play at the MLB level?

I'd think the ideal situation for the Cubs, based on comments you can piece together would be for...

Positions (Not batting order)
1B Rizzo
2B Baez
SS Castro
3B Russell
LF Bryant
CF Fowler
RF Soler
C Schwarber

Obviously, this isn't start this season, and maybe not even APR 2016, but I think this is what they'd like to see over the next 3-4 years. Maybe replace Fowler with someone down the road.

And there's no reason they couldn't do that, assuming they all hit enough to stick. And for the record, I'm fine keeping Baez if he turns into a lower OBP/higher SLG type. Maybe a 300 OBP/.450 SLG/.750 OPS. Consider the new normal we have, stats wise, that would have a ton of value.

I'd think the ideal situation for the Cubs, based on comments you can piece together would be for...

Positions (Not batting order)
1B Rizzo
2B Baez
SS Castro
3B Russell
LF Bryant
CF Fowler
RF Soler
C Schwarber

Obviously, this isn't start this season, and maybe not even APR 2016, but I think this is what they'd like to see over the next 3-4 years. Maybe replace Fowler with someone down the road.

And there's no reason they couldn't do that, assuming they all hit enough to stick. And for the record, I'm fine keeping Baez if he turns into a lower OBP/higher SLG type. Maybe a 300 OBP/.450 SLG/.750 OPS. Consider the new normal we have, stats wise, that would have a ton of value.
seeing that lineup makes me sad

WS was nice, but boy did that group under-perform

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT