ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Schwarber...

His HR in the 9th was a shot. I think they measured it at 424 feet. The ball he hit in the 11th was just missed for a HR. He just got under it a bit but he hit it hard. Then the shot in the 13th to win it. He kind of reminds me of Soler in that he hits the ball hard, even their outs are often hard hit balls.

Doesn't seem to be great behind the dish in my limited viewing of him but it seems like he can really rake.

To me, he's a LF or 1B. I don't remember many players learning to catch at the ML level. I don't know if it's ever been done before.

But he certainly seems to be a pretty good hitter. The bat is ready to play every day.

With Bryant, Rizzo, Soler, and Schwarber, it is possible
the Chicago Cubs are developing "A Murders Row" like
the Yankees with Ruth, Gehrig, or Mantle, Maris.

With Bryant, Rizzo, Soler, and Schwarber, it is possible
the Chicago Cubs are developing "A Murders Row" like
the Yankees with Ruth, Gehrig, or Mantle, Maris.

Like 1% possible. And that's not meant to be a slam on any of them. 3 out of those 4 listed are probably top 15 players all time in MLB history. 3 of the Cubs listed are rookies, one with what, 12 games in the books.

Talk to me in the 2020-2021 off-seasons.

Not likely they'll ever achieve that status, but it sure does make the Cubs games more fun to watch. With that many guys capable of hitting it out, they won't be out of too many ball games.

...is pretty good at baseball.
He is good at hitting. To be charitable he is okay behind the plate. Teams are going to run, run, run on him and he struggles with balls in the dirt. That's understandable. He is a hit first catcher who is one year removed from college. And, he didn't always catch for Indiana. They did everything they could to get his bat in the line up, too.
And, now, Joe Maddon must find ways to keep Schwarber in the line up for as long as he is hot. It will be interesting to see if Schwarber starts on either Friday or Saturday at Wrigley. Schwarber has not started a game at Wrigley, and the rumors are Schwarber will not catch either Lester or Arrieta. Those guys are slated to start Friday and Saturday.

Wondering if it wouldn't be best for him to switch positions in the off-season. Catching takes alot out of a player and shortens their playing days. The Twins moved Joe Mauer to 1st base for that reason. I wouldn't mind seeing Schwarber moved to the OF where he can play every day with that bat in the lineup and the Cubs can go with some other option behind the plate.

Wondering if it wouldn't be best for him to switch positions in the off-season. Catching takes alot out of a player and shortens their playing days. The Twins moved Joe Mauer to 1st base for that reason. I wouldn't mind seeing Schwarber moved to the OF where he can play every day with that bat in the lineup and the Cubs can go with some other option behind the plate.

OK who you taking out Soler or Bryant?

He is good at hitting. To be charitable he is okay behind the plate. Teams are going to run, run, run on him and he struggles with balls in the dirt. That's understandable. He is a hit first catcher who is one year removed from college. And, he didn't always catch for Indiana. They did everything they could to get his bat in the line up, too.
And, now, Joe Maddon must find ways to keep Schwarber in the line up for as long as he is hot. It will be interesting to see if Schwarber starts on either Friday or Saturday at Wrigley. Schwarber has not started a game at Wrigley, and the rumors are Schwarber will not catch either Lester or Arrieta. Those guys are slated to start Friday and Saturday.
His arm is good enough. He needs to work on his footwork to get rid of the ball a little quicker but those are mechanical things that can be fixed. He doesn't look horrible framing pitches (and the minor league reviews were that he was good in this aspect). He's likely not going to be an every day catcher, and he doesn't have to be to give the team tremendous value. He could be another Mike Piazza.

Oh, I agree with you Phantom. Schwarber is not done developing as a catcher. I stated he's young. It's just going to be a matter of living with the growing pains as a fan. He does seem very resilient mentally. I don't think he'll drag mental or physical mistakes into the batters box with himself.

2015 Kyle Schwarber thread somehow does not have this HR video

CHC@PIT: Schwarber pads lead with mammoth two-run homer

or this one

Schwarber sends one out of Wrigley

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT