ADVERTISEMENT

Labas

No, it's not that simple...and you're not great at analogies.

Labas' story has specifics. But he's just one more on the list of offensive players that KFz somehow couldn't figure out how to develop and get the best out of....that went on to play well at other schools. He's putting up great numbers tonight in his first game with a new team. FIRST. GAME. Somebody or bodies...at IOWA failed. Wait til Petras puts up great numbers this Fall.
If Petras has time to throw, he should pick up big numbers. He had enough moments at Iowa to make that clear.

Labas, in the first game of the new season for a new team, matches or exceeds all of Deacon Hill's positive offensive stats for the season last year.

Good riddance, Brian Ferentz.

(not super enthused that the previous QB coach is now the WR coach, though)

Last edited:
I don’t know specifics. But you sure as heck gotta work really hard with that player to get them in the right place. Some issues are unforgivable, but from the two that have been brought up, you work with the players and help them get better… I’d be more inclined to punish players more for OWI than what Labas was accused of… you work with players who makes mistake while drinking but not other issues???
But that’s just my opinion.
Did they give him some chances? It’s possible Joe didn’t make the best of them. Hopefully he makes the most of his current opportunity, regardless of how it shook out in IC.

one of best season ever has to include a win over a decent team.

I guess knocking Labas for a good performance over a bad team doest apply to Iowa beating bad teams.
Iowa beat several decent teams last season.

But it really doesn't matter what you or I think is or isn't a decent team. There are no astriks, footnotes, or opinions in the record books.

You think some kid that hasn't been born yet looks at the record book in 20 years and forms an opinion of Iowa's 2023 schedule?

Iowa just won 10 games for the 11th time in program history. You think any of the members of that team are going to let someone try to take that away from them? You think they care what anybody thinks about the schedule?

Take any random season. People are going to judge the schedule differently and the record books don't give a crap

Reactions: Gus is dead
What on earth are you talking about?
giggle-handsome-guy-covering-laughter-9wj1t5f07swl4c7e.gif

I don’t know specifics. But you sure as heck gotta work really hard with that player to get them in the right place. Some issues are unforgivable, but from the two that have been brought up, you work with the players and help them get better… I’d be more inclined to punish players more for OWI than what Labas was accused of… you work with players who makes mistake while drinking but not other issues???
But that’s just my opinion.
In football terms, being late to meetings is a bigger deal than smoking weed or getting an OWI.

How do you work with a guy on this? Perhaps they tried to get him therapy or something during the summer. Who knows? I bet Kirk is more informed than us about it. If Labas came back in the fall still not fully invested, at a position like QB, that's a wrap.

I bet Kirk has a better idea than us about decisions involving his football team

• Wow
Reactions: ddeanHawk
In football terms, being late to meetings is a bigger deal than smoking weed or getting an OWI.

How do you work with a guy on this? Perhaps they tried to get him therapy or something during the summer. Who knows? I bet Kirk is more informed than us about it. If Labas came back in the fall still not fully invested, at a position like QB, that's a wrap.

I bet Kirk has a better idea than us about decisions involving his football team
I’d argue keeping your son on staff for another year after he lead the nation’s worst offense is a bigger deal than a backup QB showing up to meetings late.

Wow, 15 yards per attempt, we will have to follow him this year. And if a kid is having some problems maybe it is good for all the coaches to try and help, get him some help, instead of the "your in the doghouse" shit
Wait a tic.

Its legal to throw the ball further than 5 yards downfield, let alone past the line of scrimmage!?

Why wasn't BF informed of this??

JFC it was central Connecticut. If he does this against even a MAC team you might have something.
Why are you defending Deacon Hill and our terrible offense? Everyone on here knows it’s been awful for the Davis and BF years. Kirk let it go for reasons no one can make sense of other than plain old stubbornness. Watching players that were not given the opportunity to see if they could do better than a Deacon Hill is interesting and compelling; especially given the fact this is a current game in progress vs what the hell else is in progress that relates to Iowa football?

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
Why are you defending Deacon Hill and our terrible offense? Everyone on here knows it’s been awful for the Davis and BF years. Kirk let it go for reasons no one can make sense of other than plain old stubbornness. Watching players that were not given the opportunity to see if they could do better than a Deacon Hill is interesting and compelling; especially given the fact this is a current game in progress vs what the hell else is in progress that relates to Iowa football?
I am not. I am also not gushing over a game against a very bad team.

Starting Hill was indefensible and no, the imbecile with her emotional support pet interview is less interesting 😂
Well, Iowa has 7 wins with Hill at QB to defend it.

They had a building full of unified teammates defending it.

They have Lester's spring evaluations defending it.

There have forever been coaches that have chosen not to play true freshman QB's. So fans can reasonably assume it to have been the correct decision.

And the decision doesn't need defended anyway, because it was made by a 7 figure/year coach that should have earned the benefit of the doubt decades ago

• Haha
Reactions: jhawk23
final stats for labas 18/24 342 yards 3 TDs. seems to have stayed in pocket all game only 1 rush for 1 yard.
makes cmu's game against IL interesting

Reactions: hawkdave007
Well it's neverending.

But I will point out a dynamic to touch many on this board:
I'm the one who mostly agrees with and supports the coaches. And I'm the one who's viewpoints are considered crazy. What does that tell you?
That you’re a schlep for a football staff that has been objectively terrible at all things offense for multiple years?

Reactions: CarterHall
That you’re a schlep for a football staff that has been objectively terrible at all things offense for multiple years?
See what I mean?

No, they actually haven't.

But even if they were, good thing it's wins rather than offense that matters.

You're calling out the staff of one of the most successful programs in the country. How laughable is that?

Well, Iowa has 7 wins with Hill at QB to defend it.

They had a building full of unified teammates defending it.

They have Lester's spring evaluations defending it.

There have forever been coaches that have chosen not to play true freshman QB's. So fans can reasonably assume it to have been the correct decision.

And the decision doesn't need defended anyway, because it was made by a 7 figure/year coach that should have earned the benefit of the doubt decades ago
Labas wasn’t a true frosh last year. And they did play him in the bowl game as a true frosh and he played well.

Labas wasn’t a true frosh last year. And they did play him in the bowl game as a true frosh and he played well.
All things point to Labas having taken himself out of contention. Have you been paying attention?

And no, Labas was not a true freshman in his bowl start

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT