ADVERTISEMENT

Labas

Nobody is suggesting Labas is a world-beater. But he clearly can play and hit open receivers. Something we were lacking last year.
Right.

No one is championing him as the quarterback version of Charlie Jones, but it isn’t hard to see that he is clearly better than Deacon Hill.

The fact there was according to Kirk and Brian no better option on the roster than Deacon Hill speaks to gross incompetence in recruiting or in assessing quarterback talent. It’s one or the other.

It is just astounding that some fans continue to defend Kirk on this.

I doubt you really believe that assertion. 2023 wasn't even one of the top 5 years for Kirk Ferentz's tenure at Iowa. 2002-2004, 2009, 2015, 2019 and 2021 were all better than last year. I would put each of Hayden's 10 win seasons and each of his Rose Bowl seasons above 2023. As previously noted, there were many years where the season was shorter and it was exceedingly difficult to reach 10 wins. I think that you would objectively have to put 1956-1958 and 1960 ahead of 2023. Each of those seasons had only 1 loss (2 also had a tie). I think that you have to put Nile Kinnick's senior season above 2023. Howard Jones' undefeated seasons in 1921-22 would go above 2023.
I agree with this. And all of those teams mentioned had a win vs a good team. The 2009 team may have had the most good wins of any team. Three wins vs top 10 teams! The 2008 team could be added to that list as well.

I would say the 2023 team is an anomaly as well as the 2022 team just because of how they won. The over/under on point spreads will be historical. I respect the hell of that. But the only thing missing from those teams was a good win, with the exception of maybe the bowl win vs Kentucky.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Nobody is suggesting Labas is a world-beater. But he clearly can play and hit open receivers. Something we were lacking last year.
Colin Jost Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reactions: onionman1
Did you enjoy watching those games? Who did they beat that makes you think it was one of their best teams ever?
I didn't say it was one of their best teams ever.

And yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the games last season. The most entertaining season I can remember in a while

Reactions: RLMHAWK
They've only played 10 or more games for 51% of the program's history. (65 times if I counted accurately) that's a bit of a biased measurement. Winning percentage would be a better gauge, and in that regard there have been 27 better seasons. Most recently 2020 and 2019.
That's fair.

But also Iowa would not have even earned the opportunity to play the excellent opponents in the conference title and bowls game (that ended in losses) without the 10-2. Go 9-3 in the regular season, miss the conference title game, and beat a lesser opponent in the bowl game = 10-3 = better winning percentage. But the 10-4 season was more impressive.

Still a very successful season

Reactions: RLMHAWK
Labas… clearly. I’m trying really hard to convince myself you aren’t a troll but it’s getting difficult. I understand the “trust ferentz” mindset but come on man… clearly labas gave Iowa a better chance to win.

Something else happened there, now I do wonder why we couldn’t get past it, but we didn’t

Reactions: ICHawk2440
Right.

No one is championing him as the quarterback version of Charlie Jones, but it isn’t hard to see that he is clearly better than Deacon Hill.

The fact there was according to Kirk and Brian no better option on the roster than Deacon Hill speaks to gross incompetence in recruiting or in assessing quarterback talent. It’s one or the other.

It is just astounding that some fans continue to defend Kirk on this.
Astoundingly poor take.

That situation has been broken down on this board many times.

How many QB's are you trying to roster? Do you know how many teams are praying they have even one guy that turns out decent?

If anything, KF should be praised for having the foresight to have brought someone (DH) in as an emergency QB

• Haha
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
There goes Dochterman...just reaching for anything to create an anti-Kirk narrative. Unbelievable.
And there you go again reaching for anything to create a pro-Kirk narrative. Dochterman cited facts. What the hell you got, big guy?

A few days ago KF was quoted as saying, "I don't know anything about QBs, but . . . " Another fact. KF may have, like a fat orange man I know, admitted the truth while trying to be clever.

Remember when KF said he wouldn't bother getting on the bus if Deuce Hogan had to play QB? Who the hell do you think recruited that kid? Kirk freakin' Ferentz.

Petras and Hill were two of the worst QBs ever to take a snap in Kinnick Stadium. Hill, of course, is now at mighty Utah Tech after KF signed off on bringing him to Iowa City even though Hill was comitted to . . . FORDHAM!

Buy a clue, buddy. Then you'll finally have one. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
Astoundingly poor take.

That situation has been broken down on this board many times.

How many QB's are you trying to roster? Do you know how many teams are praying they have even one guy that turns out decent?

If anything, KF should be praised for having the foresight to have brought someone (DH) in as an emergency QB
Jesus Christ.

This can’t be a serious response.

Reactions: jhoosh43
That's fair.

But also Iowa would not have even earned the opportunity to play the excellent opponents in the conference title and bowls game (that ended in losses) without the 10-2. Go 9-3 in the regular season, miss the conference title game, and beat a lesser opponent in the bowl game = 10-3 = better winning percentage. But the 10-4 season was more impressive.

Still a very successful season
They could have gone 5-4 in the b10 and as long as those 2 extra losses weren't against NW or Wisconsin they still would have gone to Indy. That is how bad the big ten west was. College football is better off without that joke of a division

ISU, Wisconsin, NW, Rutgers. All bowl teams.

But no win should be minimized. And Iowa had 10 of them
ISU was not a good team last year. NW was not a good team last year. Rutgers was not a good team last year. There were 43 D1 bowl games last year. MANY crappy teams played in bowls.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
While I won’t argue the point that Kirk is not great at evaluating the quarterback position, or that Labas should have played over Deacon Hill, the fact of the matter is Brian Ball is so bad, that no quarterback would be successful in his system.

Seriously. Brian’s offense would make Patrick Mahomes look like the football version of Patrick McCaffrey.
Nate Stanley was successful and we all know Petras left plays on the field in 2020 and 2021. Agreed, though, that things would have been difficult for anyone the past two seasons. (And I'm glad that Brian is gone.)

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Didn’t take the time to look at all of the posts so this may have already been noted.

Maybe both things are true. Maybe Labas was an immature screw up last year and earned/deserved his time on the bench. But as a result, he grew up and dedicated himself to the game, but needed a new environment, and will become a reliable QB/teammate.

Assuming Labas had some self-discipline issues, he may have needed some tough love from the Iowa program and the change of venue to anywhere might be key for his progress. Some guys really need a wake-up call.

Hopefully for Joe, he continues to play well when the competition gets tougher and he is taking care of the self-discipline issues. I would hate to see him end up like Jacob Park. He was the uber-talented QB with alcohol-abuse issues who transferred from South Carolina to ISU. He lit up the Hawks in 2017 (347 yards passing and 4 TDs), but only lasted two more games before dropping off the team.

ISU was not a good team last year. NW was not a good team last year. Rutgers was not a good team last year. There were 43 D1 bowl games last year. MANY crappy teams played in bowls.
Well, we simply disagree on what good and crappy teams are.

For the record, NW beat Utah in their bowl game. And Rutgers manhandled Miami in theirs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT