ADVERTISEMENT

Ladji Dembele, from Mali in West Africa, is Fluent in 5 Languages

Pyrce playing more mins than Dasonte and Harding is insane.
That's not happening. Pryce is only averaging around 4 minutes per game over the last 4 games. Harding is averaging 9 over that same period. Bowen's minutes have slipped the most averaging only 6 minutes over this time frame. I'd be surprised if this wasn't his last year at Iowa, especially if Perkins decides to come back.

I think Dembele's in-game shooting will come around. It's tough to find the range when you only get a few looks per game. I feel like he needs a go to low-post move, especially if we keep using him at the 5, which I expect us to - including next season when I expect him to be the backup center (possibly in addition to the starting PF). Just a nice drop step -> jump hook over either shoulder would do wonders for him.

I think Dembele's in-game shooting will come around. It's tough to find the range when you only get a few looks per game. I feel like he needs a go to low-post move, especially if we keep using him at the 5, which I expect us to - including next season when I expect him to be the backup center (possibly in addition to the starting PF). Just a nice drop step -> jump hook over either shoulder would do wonders for him.

he's got a sweet stroke from 3, imo.

and the guy is a willing defender; I wish he'd get more minutes based just on that.

he's got a sweet stroke from 3, imo.

and the guy is a willing defender; I wish he'd get more minutes based just on that.
I will say he has good shooting form/mechanics but right now there is a problem...it is not going thru the basket.
These BIG are all going to tightly contested for the Hawks so we cannot afford on the job shooting development from anyone like Ladji or Owen or even Pryce, Bowen or hardy.
We have to have Tony Josh Payton,krikke and occasionally Patrick taking our outside shots.
The rest need to sharpen their shooting in the off season.
It is crunch time... 9 game sprint to the finish and we need to find a way to go 5-4 or better to have any shot.

In just 7 minutes, Ladji was 2-2 from the field, 1-2 from 3 and 1-2 from the FT line for 6 points and 1 rebound.

Fran says that whenever his screws up his rotations. If he had played Patrick only 6 minutes and Dembele 21 that would have been the right answer. Iowa players were tired at the end. Playing the starters the amounts of minutes that they played doomed Iowa at the end.
Pryce should be spelling Payton, Dembele Freeman, Harding for Perkins and Patrick for Dix. If you want to play Bowen that's fine too, but it appears that Desonte is on his way out and in no way would I mass substitute players like Fran does. That just destroys any continuity that Iowa has developed.

Fran says that whenever his screws up his rotations. If he had played Patrick only 6 minutes and Dembele 21 that would have been the right answer. Iowa players were tired at the end. Playing the starters the amounts of minutes that they played doomed Iowa at the end.
Pryce should be spelling Payton, Dembele Freeman, Harding for Perkins and Patrick for Dix. If you want to play Bowen that's fine too, but it appears that Desonte is on his way out and in no way would I mass substitute players like Fran does. That just destroys any continuity that Iowa has developed.
100% agree with your comments

Back in Mali, Ladji visited his former school, inspiring kids with the importance of education.

Making an impact beyond the court

GO6uQrtWIAAlTt9

GO6uQruX0AEkcQy

GO6uQrsXgAI89mO

I think I have another favorite player. I liked what I saw in his limited minutes on the court last year, and hope he isn't relegated to Owen's back up again, because he has the potential to dominate near the basket on the defensive end. Defensive possessions end with a defensive rebound.

I might like even better his desire to give back, which we see above. Maybe he can start an West African pipeline to Iowa City.

Last edited:
I think I have another favorite player. I liked what I saw in his limited minutes on the court last year, and hope he isn't relegated to Owen's back up again, because he has the potential to dominate near the basket on the defensive end. Defensive possessions end with a defensive rebound.

I might like even better his desire to give back, which we see above. Maybe he can start an East African pipeline to Iowa City.
You are correct that he has great potential, but he needs to get his fouling under control to be able to stay on the court.

Maybe he can start an East African pipeline to Iowa City.

Just to clarify....

Ladji Dembele is originally from Mali in West Africa.

Seydou Traore is also originally from Mali in West Africa. His parents are Abraham Traore & Mariam Sylla.

Incoming freshman Nogbou Chris Tadjo was born in Montreal Canada but I believe his parents are from Ivory Coast (southern West Africa).

If these 3 West African players on our current 12 scholarship roster find success at Iowa, that could be a very valuable recruiting pipeline for Iowa for years to come.

Just to clarify....

Ladji Dembele is originally from Mali in West Africa.

Seydou Traore is also originally from Mali in West Africa. His parents are Abraham Traore & Mariam Sylla.

Incoming freshman Nogbou Chris Tadjo was born in Montreal Canada but I believe his parents are from Ivory Coast (southern West Africa).

If these 3 West African players on our current 12 scholarship roster find success at Iowa, that could be a very valuable recruiting pipeline for Iowa for years to come.
Thanks, thinking about that, I actually know that, just screwed up my post. I went back and corrected my mistake.

Backing up Owen had him undersized in the post. At the 4 with Owen in the middle, and with it being his second year. I think the foul problem will take care of itself. I think he should get the start at the beginning of the year, so he can get in a groove by the start of the tougher games.

Guy is 6'8 and 250. If he could develop a bit of a mean streak he'd could be dominant.

Dembele showed, as a true freshman, he wasn't going to be pushed around under the basket. He has long arms to go with his strength, and seemed to have a pretty good nose for the ball on the boards. Freshmen always seem to have foul trouble. It is in part because they aren't experienced and they haven't learned what will be tolerated. It also seems to be an initiation to the game from some of the officials, who let the more experienced players get away with a lot more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT