ADVERTISEMENT

Lake of the Ozarks vacation…

Stay out of the main channel
Didn’t drink and boat - water patrol out in force
Don’t drink and drive - po po out in force
Get your groceries/booze before you get to the lake.
Don't drink and drive anything, that's really solid advice you should spread the word!

Reactions: win4jj
Whatever you do, be sure to listen to this song on the way to the lake, while on the lake, and on the way home from the lake.

You can thank me later.

We have a condo at the LOTO and spend a lot of time there. In fact, we are headed there today.

Where are you staying? Do you know the mile marker? Do you have access to a boat? Planing to rent a boat?

When do you arrive? The lake won’t be that busy Sunday through Thursday. It really starts to pick up Friday at noon.

What do you like to do? I noticed you mentioned fishing. The lake is huge, so knowing where you are staying would be helpful.
If you want a fishing guide call Jacks Guide Service. You will thank me later. Been out with him like 6 times. Great guy! Teaches you a lot and where to go.
Golf: I like of Osage National.

Best course imo is Porto Cima if you can get on it. It’s private but you can usually find a stay and play that includes golf privileges or some way to get on it if you do some digging.
Old Kinderhook and Osage National for me. I was a starter/ranger at Kinderhook for 2 summers. I really enjoyed it.

My recommendations, based on you having 2 boys 12 and 16. I have 3 boys, 16, 21 and 24, so a bit older, but I’m sure I’ll be in the ballpark.

Are you on the north side of mm21 (Horseshoe Bend Pkwy) or south? South would likely be Hwy 54 to KK.

Food
High end: Baxters, Bentleys, JB Hooks and Dominicos.

On the Lake for Food
Encore, slightly higher end
Shorty Pants
Dog Days
The Cave
Paradise
Frankie and Louie’s

I do not recommend the food at Landshark/Margaritaville.

Breakfast
The Hatch (outdoor seating on the lake)
Rusty Rooster
Stewarts in Camdenton. Not fancy but damn good. Big ass Cinnamon Roll serves 4-5.

BBQ - Wobbly Boots

Pizza - Pappos

Burgers - Lakeburger or Tirebiters. Tirebiters is hard to describe. I’d call it a nice biker bar/sports bar that is known for its burgers.

Swimming. Not sure if your rental has a dock or not. If you have a dock, perfect. The lake is probably 88 degrees, maybe warmer. Pool access with you rental? Otherwise, there are public beaches around the lake. Frankie and Louie’s is a fun resort/bar/restaurant. It has a beach with sand volleyball, live music, etc. otherwise, The Cave is a family friendly bar/restaurant with pools. Most places on the lake will have pools. Shorty Pants, Dog Days, Landshark (don’t eat the food), Red Heads. If you are on the north side of the lake, H Toads is nice. Lazy Gators is more of a party atmosphere. Encore is fancier, but a nice pool.

Big Surf: mediocre water park, fun but it’s not Schlitterbaun (sp?).

Entertainment: almost every bar will have live music all week. Kids are welcome at almost every establishment.

Go carts: 3-4 go cart tracks around the area. The one we prefer is Gran Rally.

Putt Putt. Also 3-4 of those around. Best by far is Pirates Cove.

Minor Mikes is an arcade setting. Think Dave and Busters but without food. And the games are meh. My 16 year old enjoyed it though.

Caves: I’ve only been to Bridal Cave. It’s the most popular and fun to explore.

Post whatever questions you may have. I’m off to the dock.
Thanks HawkeyeShawn for all your recommendations! We have been having a great time. We used a lot of your suggestions. We are heading out early tomorrow to get back to eastern Iowa to get my 12 year to baseball tryouts by 5:00. Not sure what we are doing tonight. Maybe the cave. Cheers buddy. Go Hawks!

My advice would be don't go because it sucks, but hey, that's just me.

That said, be sure and pack plenty of camo.
We had a good week . Like I said before, for me a less planned vacation is a better vacation. But not always. I still prefer vacations that involve being rustic, but if the no pic is happy and the boys are happy, well dammit, I’m happy.

Thanks HawkeyeShawn for all your recommendations! We have been having a great time. We used a lot of your suggestions. We are heading out early tomorrow to get back to eastern Iowa to get my 12 year to baseball tryouts by 5:00. Not sure what we are doing tonight. Maybe the cave. Cheers buddy. Go Hawks!
No problem at all. Glad to help. Go Hawks!

We used to own a condo at Lazy Days- D7 and I9. Had to sell them a few years ago. We miss it greatly!
S11. We love the location. Close to the state park and off the main channel, so we can boat without having to have a giant, expensive boat.

We had a good week . Like I said before, for me a less planned vacation is a better vacation. But not always. I still prefer vacations that involve being rustic, but if the no pic is happy and the boys are happy, well dammit, I’m happy.
Truth be told, I don't mind the Ozarks, I just don't care for the busy times. My favorite time to be there is March and April when I can rake crappies right off the dock. The fall is really nice too.

That was my thought when the family out voted me when we were deciding on a vacation destination.
They probably saw the show and are looking for career opportunities. Looks like you got yerself some real go getters there.

Hope you took the wife and kids to party cove for some good family time. 😜
Party Cove is now tame. We drove past yesterday and there was 1 or 2 boats. It picks up over the weekend, but it’s not as crazy as the stories of the past. We will cove out once in a while at PC. 50/50 chance you might see some bare tiddies. Most of the time they are tiddies you don’t want to see. The days of tons of nudity and public sex are long gone at PC. Our favorite place to cove out is a few coves down from PC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT