ADVERTISEMENT

Last night and this season

Lots of criticism etc., seems to me we should sit back and enjoy the ride. Lots of heros led by JB,TC and JW.

Exactly! UNC went over time and barely beat a Miami team that is under .500 and they are a 2 seed. The games you need to win are the ones you probably do to deserve to if you want to have a special season. Hate to bring up ISU but there was a 2-3 year span where it seemed like they spotted the opponent 20 points every game and kept coming back. Enjoy the ride boys... this feels different than the two collapses.

Sorry. I love this team, and am obviously thrilled they pulled out the win, but they deserved the criticism they were receiving during the game. They completely forgot to show up for 36 minutes.

This team is certainly fun to watch, and overall they're a very good team because of elite offensive play (8th most efficient offense in the country per KenPom), but there are many valid criticisms about their defense. While defense is improved from last year (242nd last year, currently rank 113 this year) we still have the worst defense in the Big10, which can be frustrating to watch.

Yes, last night was a miracle and I am incredibly happy. Looking forward, however, last night seemed to be another step backwards in terms of defense (following good/decent defensive showings against Michigan and Indiana). Ultimately, if this team can't play better defense, they're not going to make a run in the NCAA tournament.

This team is certainly fun to watch, and overall they're a very good team because of elite offensive play (8th most efficient offense in the country per KenPom), but there are many valid criticisms about their defense. While defense is improved from last year (242nd last year, currently rank 113 this year) we still have the worst defense in the Big10, which can be frustrating to watch.

Yes, last night was a miracle and I am incredibly happy. Looking forward, however, last night seemed to be another step backwards in terms of defense (following good/decent defensive showings against Michigan and Indiana). Ultimately, if this team can't play better defense, they're not going to make a run in the NCAA tournament.

Last night I think the offense was mostly to blame, to be honest. The defense didn't look great, but it never does. NW shot like 51%+ in the first half and Iowa couldn't get a basket to save their lives until the remaining 4 minutes of regulation.

Last night I think the offense was mostly to blame, to be honest. The defense didn't look great, but it never does. NW shot like 51%+ in the first half and Iowa couldn't get a basket to save their lives until the remaining 4 minutes of regulation.

Yeah, it was a combination of Iowa missing shots they don’t normally miss and Northwestern seemingly making everything they threw at the rim (aided by not great defense by the Hawks).

I’m hopeful it was just an anomaly, one if those games where Iowa came back to earth and were a little flat after the excitement of the last two games. It happens to all teams once in a while. Luckily, they were able to pull out the win. If they learned something on top of that then that’s best case scenario.

Reactions: Melrose_Place31

I would say honestly don't get bent out of shape about it. This team reminds me SO much of the Hoiberg ISU teams, where there is just not going to be the defense you want to see night in night out. But they can and will outscore teams, they can and will have big swings in the course of a game, and like the best Hoiberg teams, this team is playing with a lot of confidence and there are players with the balls and the skill to make huge shots down the stretch.

No team is perfect but this is a very fun team that's going to win a lot of games with offense and give you a lot of good memories if you let it happen.

Northwestern played fabulous. Can we not give them any credit? We just want to hammer our team for supposedly not showing up.
If you look at it objectively Northwestern played as well defensively as any team we have played this year. So the offense struggled. Defense was not stellar but not awful. even NW coach Collins said they shot better than they have been. Taylor and Law hardly missed.
To say the least I was impressed with NW play.

Reactions: owenhawk
Exactly! UNC went over time and barely beat a Miami team that is under .500 and they are a 2 seed. The games you need to win are the ones you probably do to deserve to if you want to have a special season. Hate to bring up ISU but there was a 2-3 year span where it seemed like they spotted the opponent 20 points every game and kept coming back. Enjoy the ride boys... this feels different than the two collapses.
NC obviously has a lot of talent, but they are a very beatable team IMO. Very lucky to have the record they have.

NC obviously has a lot of talent, but they are a very beatable team IMO. Very lucky to have the record they have.

Totally agree! Iowa is viewed the same way by outsiders, my point is just that it happens to every team who is having a great season at some point. Especially if there is some overachieving going on. I’m just enjoying the ride at this point.

The first 35:30 of last night's game concerns me some, but they got the W and at the end of the day, that's what really matters. Just as long as they turn in a better effort next time.

Until the losses start to roll in - I just would like to enjoy the season. There haven't been enough chances to do that the last... Oh, 20 years or so.

Beats what we got last year, that's for sure.

The first 35:30 of last night's game concerns me some, but they got the W and at the end of the day, that's what really matters. Just as long as they turn in a better effort next time.

Until the losses start to roll in - I just would like to enjoy the season. There haven't been enough chances to do that the last... Oh, 20 years or so.

Beats what we got last year, that's for sure.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT