ADVERTISEMENT

Sandfort

drh1150

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2003
Seems clear the coach doesn't think Sandfort is ready. It's just not clear to me why that is. From what I've seen he may be the purest outside shooter we have at the moment. Maybe he is a liability on defense.

He got 6 minutes last night and maybe Purdue isn't the team you give him extended minutes against, but lets see what he can do.

I suppose his brother is watching his progress.

I'd like to see him get more minutes. Given more court time, I think his 3 point % would improve, and it ain't bad now - 35%. I believe he'd help space the floor. It looks to me like he's engaged on the defensive end, too, and not a liability there.

Agreed- especially since all of the other guards- JBo excepted- are reluctant to shoot from 3. We've seen what it does to Keegan in the last 3 games. Unleash Sandfort!

Reactions: Gutt15
Sandfort is going to be an awesome player. His commitment to defense has been a pleasant surprise as well. He doesn’t get beat any more than some of the guys playing in front of him. I’m not surprised that Fran didn’t put him in in the second half, though I think he definitely earned a few minutes after his first half… in conjunction with Connor being a non-factor on the offensive end and Purdue basically giving him wide open threes

The Hawks 3 point shooting is killing this team right now…..Sandfort deserves his chance now!! He plays ok D as well. I actually feel bad for Connor as he can’t shoot a lick. Frustrating thing is Fran knows it but still plays him.
Yeah. I do too.

Its got to be a terrible feeling being left alone on defense like that knowing that your presence is screwing the offense up for everyone else and eventually the ball is going to find you all alone up top.

I've never seen anything like this in college basketball.

And then the truly astounding part is the offensive minded coach continues to put him out there.

You have to feel bad for Connor.

Last night was the perfect opportunity for Sandfort to shine. Nothing else was working and he came in and hit a quick 3, igniting the crowd and his teammates...it seemed. He took another 3 point shot, but missed, and shortly afterward was taken out never to appear again. What did Fran have to lose by playing Peyton in the 2nd half? If he gets hot from 3 point range, that can free up Bohannon or one of the Murray twins too.

Seems clear the coach doesn't think Sandfort is ready. It's just not clear to me why that is. From what I've seen he may be the purest outside shooter we have at the moment. Maybe he is a liability on defense.

He got 6 minutes last night and maybe Purdue isn't the team you give him extended minutes against, but lets see what he can do.

Connor and Jblow. That’s why. For some reason no one else can figure out, these 2 have to play way to many minutes.

Sandfort is as good or better than Connor in every phase of the game except shooting and passing. He’s a MUCH better shooter and maybe not quite as good as a passer, although that’s probably a factor of his short playing time. He is a bit of a gunner and needs to be smarter about shooting, but he sh be getting all of Connor’s minutes and some of Bohannon’s.

Sandfort is as good or better than Connor in every phase of the game except shooting and passing. He’s a MUCH better shooter and maybe not quite as good as a passer, although that’s probably a factor of his short playing time. He is a bit of a gunner and needs to be smarter about shooting, but he sh be getting all of Connor’s minutes and some of Bohannon’s.
Connor is a great passer but the fact that he isn't being guarded takes away most of his ability to use that part of his game.

Defense is top priority! Shooting is just a bonus!

;)

I disagree. Peyton is a better shooter than Connor, for sure but Connor is better in every other phase of the game. Shooting is important but it is only one aspect of performance.

I disagree. Peyton is a better shooter than Connor, for sure but Connor is better in every other phase of the game. Shooting is important but it is only one aspect of performance.
Senior vs freshman but I also think the rest of PS game is closer than you think to Connors in every facet of the game. Then there’s that shooting you mentioned which isn’t close in any sense of the word. Connor has value to this team , not saying he doesn’t but the minute disparity makes it look worse than it actually is I suspect

One other thing so we are clear. I’d say exactly the same thing if Connors last name was Sandfort and Peyton’s last name was McCaffrey

One other thing so we are clear. I’d say exactly the same thing if Connors last name was Sandfort and Peyton’s last name was McCaffrey
I'm with you. I've been thinking Sandfort for a long time! He hit 5 or 6 threes in a non conference game this past fall. I would like to try Keegan, Kris , Patrick, Joe and Peyton. Peyton is also quicker than Patrick, Connor, and maybe JBO. He has a quick release and is 6"7". He can play the two or 3. We get no production out of the 2 spot , other than JBO. Its 4 on 5 essentially. We don't have a 2nd top scoring threat. and yet we see Kris sit. Fran is hurting our scoring when Kris sits. Its time for Connor to get Peytons minutes. Otherwise, watch everyone get restless and tired of this obvious nepotism. I am concerned we lose some more players because of this bs. In some cases it could be better/worse for us.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Yeah. I do too.

Its got to be a terrible feeling being left alone on defense like that knowing that your presence is screwing the offense up for everyone else and eventually the ball is going to find you all alone up top.

And then the truly astounding part is the offensive minded coach continues to put him out there.

Why? He’s had three plus years to develop an offense. How do you not have one as a D1 athlete with a full ride scholarship? Any other kid not named McCaffrey would never see the court.

Sandfort is going to be an awesome player. His commitment to defense has been a pleasant surprise as well. He doesn’t get beat any more than some of the guys playing in front of him. I’m not surprised that Fran didn’t put him in in the second half, though I think he definitely earned a few minutes after his first half… in conjunction with Connor being a non-factor on the offensive end and Purdue basically giving him wide open threes
I’ve been a supporter of Connor and of him playing…last year he was a high level role player but this year he’s given the team very limited benefits during his time on the floor.

I would like to see Sandfort take Connor’s role and minutes….

Connor's complete lack of offense is a liability that isn't offset by anything else he does. I join the chorus of people wanting Peyton taking those minutes. Peyton's defense isn't terrible. The rebounding might be a product of Peyton playing outside on offense and a lack of minutes.

Peyton does look to shoot first and quickly. His shooting form is great which usually means a great shooter. Even the little hooks and such all show great form and finish. I would expect a great deal of improvement in the off season.

Re above departing players. Why would Filip leave?

Yeah. I do too.

I had the same feeling. It's really reached the point where it's uncomfortable to watch. As a dad you just know that Fran is saying a little prayer every time Connor launches one.

You really think so? The sample size is very small because Peyton only plays 10 minutes a game, but my subjective impression is that Peyton is just as good as a defender and rebounder. He actually has more blocks but that’s not significant. Thing is, Peyton is going to only get better with experience, too.

I think Sandfort will be a very good player, but for the most part, he's not been great in the minutes he's seen this year. Certainly not better than the people playing in front of him at the forward spots. I think most rational and sane people would agree that Cmac's minutes need to be reduced to Ash level but there are still limited minutes to go around at the forward position. If Kris is ever going to play 25-30 where are those 10-15 extra minutes coming from when everyone is healthy? If we're thinking the 2 spot, Perkins didn't have a very good game against Purdue but has had some very good moments and he is also getting only around 14mpg in conference play.

Why? He’s had three plus years to develop an offense. How do you not have one as a D1 athlete with a full ride scholarship? Any other kid not named McCaffrey would never see the court.
Why do I feel bad for him?

Because his dad is putting him in a shity no win situation on live television.

Yeah he can't shoot, but his dad is the one putting him out there.

I had the same feeling. It's really reached the point where it's uncomfortable to watch. As a dad you just know that Fran is saying a little prayer every time Connor launches one.
It is uncomfortable.

I feel bad for him because its humiliating to be disrespected by your opponent like that.

You really think so? The sample size is very small because Peyton only plays 10 minutes a game, but my subjective impression is that Peyton is just as good as a defender and rebounder. He actually has more blocks but that’s not significant. Thing is, Peyton is going to only get better with experience, too.

or said another way...Sanfort has not even begun to reach his ceiling, Cmac largely has.

Sanfort can take the ball to the hoop as well, CMac is really a zero threat to score unless he is at the FT line. (UPDATE: OR a random and very rare 3 point barrage)

CMac is a better passer and ball handler, but their games are very different. We need Peyton's outside shooting badly.

Last edited:
Why do I feel bad for him?

Because his dad is putting him in a shity no win situation on live television.

Yeah he can't shoot, but his dad is the one putting him out there.
Unfortunately Connor may come back next year, he does have that extra year. Fran playing him, shows me 3 things. First, Wishful thinking about Connor averaging more than 2 points a game. So, basically, like said before, that Fran is already willing to play 4 on 5 basketball to keep his son in the game. Is that good for the team? Hell no! We need that spot, he currently holds. given to someone with upside and that is Kris or Sandfort. Second, the team, and I repeat, team needs to come first! Connor's minutes need to be cut. Fran needs to do right by the team and Hawkeye Nation. So when Connor has the ball, with time running out, I cringe and am yelling noooo! Pass the ball Connor! But he fires up a brick and well, as you know, it's a clunker! But giving your son minutes like he gets shows Frans true colors. He is a about nepotism at the expense of the team. If the opponent sags off because Connor is not a threat to score, we screw ourselves again playing 4 against 5 defense. So on offense and defense we are screwed!!!! Point number 3 is about keeping your team intact and not losing players because of all this Nepotism. The players are not stupid and now with the transfer portal, they are gone in a hurry. Bad coaching move, dissention building underneath as this continues to play out with Fran not doing what's right for the team. I makes me sick! This reminds me somewhat of Tubby Smith when he coached at Kentucky. He had a son that played too much, he wasn't very good either. However, Kentucky was deeper in talent and could withstand Tubby's nepotism. Fran needs to hit the portal hard and heavy if we have a chance to win in this league.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Connor may come back next year, he does have that extra year. Fran playing him, shows me 3 things. First, Wishful thinking about Connor averaging more than 2 points a game. So, basically, like said before, that Fran is already willing to play 4 on 5 basketball to keep his son in the game. Is that good for the team? Hell no! We need that spot, he currently holds. given to someone with upside and that is Kris or Sandfort. Second, the team, and I repeat, team needs to come first! Connor's minutes need to be cut. Fran needs to do right by the team and Hawkeye Nation. So when Connor has the ball, with time running out, I cringe and am yelling noooo! Pass the ball Connor! But he fires up a brick and well, as you know, it's a clunker! But giving your son minutes like he gets shows Frans true colors. He is a about nepotism at the expense of the team. If the opponent sags off because Connor is not a threat to score, we screw ourselves again playing 4 against 5 defense. So on offense and defense we are screwed!!!! Point number 3 is about keeping your team intact and not losing players because of all this Nepotism. The players are not stupid and now with the transfer portal, they are gone in a hurry. Bad coaching move, dissention building underneath as this continues to play out with Fran not doing what's right for the team. I makes me sick! This reminds me somewhat of Tubby Smith when he coached at Kentucky. He had a son that played too much, he wasn't very good either. However, Kentucky was deeper in talent and could withstand Tubby's nepotism. Fran needs to hit the portal hard and heavy if we have a chance to win in this league.

Reactions: perryhawk
or said another way...Sanfort has not even begun to reach his ceiling, Cmac largely has.

Sanfort can take the ball to the hoop as well, CMac is really a zero threat to score unless he is at the FT line.

CMac is a better passer and ball handler, but their games are very different. We need Peyton's outside shooting badly.

Yes, I think if Sandfort played a bunch he might just end up shooting 25% from 3...that sometimes happens to Freshmen. However sometimes Freshmen catch fire like Mike Gatens did as Freshman....they just need PT. I don't see anyone else on the squad that is a pure shooter and capable of making 3's at high level. This team needs 3 point shooting at high level to get it into NCAA.

And I am not so sure Connor is really a better passer. Payton made a really nice pass inside the other night. How many assists does connor have? Wait, I looked it up. If Connor played 10MPG like Payton, he would have 1.2. Payton has .8. How many touches does Payton have? It seems like teammates kind of ignore him at times.

Last couple of years I defended CMac because he was an excellent post feeder to Garza. This year we have no post presence, CMac can’t shoot, and he is slow on defense. I just don’t see why he is getting minutes at all.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT