ADVERTISEMENT

Last time Iowa wore black pants for an away game...1971?

Yeah, that just occurred to me, and I posted it in the other thread. We played PSU that season, but at home. Our running back was Levi Mitchell, theirs was Lydel Mitchell IIRC. They had some fullback named Franco Harris.

default.jpg

Here's a photo from the 1971 season. Home game, but they're wearing black pants, so I could see them wearing those on the road.

Reactions: CarterHall
1971-Iowa (Big Ten)​
9/11​
@*Ohio State (6-4)L
21​
52​
9/18​
@Oregon State (5-6)L
19​
33​
9/25​
vs.Penn State (11-1)L
14​
44​
10/2​
@*Purdue (3-7)L
13​
45​
10/9​
vs.*Northwestern (7-4)L
3​
28​
10/16​
vs.*Minnesota (4-7)L
14​
19​
10/23​
@*Michigan State (6-5)L
3​
34​
10/30​
vs.*Wisconsin (4-6-1)W
20​
16​
11/6​
@*Michigan (11-1)L
7​
63​
11/13​
vs.*Indiana (3-8)L
7​
14​
11/20​
@*Illinois (5-6)L
0​
31​
1-10-0​
Ha ha, **** Wisconsin

default.jpg

Here's a photo from the 1971 season. Home game, but they're wearing black pants, so I could see them wearing those on the road.
That was the only game that season they wore the black pants at home. Then the next game they wore the white pants at Illinois. They next season they went back to just gold pants. How the hell I remember that stuff I don't know. By noon, I won't remember what I had for breakfast.

That was the only game that season they wore the black pants at home. Then the next game they wore the white pants at Illinois. They next season they went back to just gold pants. How the hell I remember that stuff I don't know. By noon, I won't remember what I had for breakfast.
Apparently whatever combination of uniform they wore that year didn’t really matter. When you’re bad, you’re just bad.

Would love for the Hawks to stop with the mustard yellow pants. They don't look gold at all. Solid black pants for every game, with or without yellow stripe, would be an upgrade.

Part of playing Penn St. with a bunch of guys from the state of Pennsylvania is showing up dressed like the Pittsburgh Steelers. I think it gets in their heads a little and with black pants we will be missing that edge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT