ADVERTISEMENT

Lebron on his future post-Lakers: “My last year will be played with my son. I would do whatever it takes to play with Bronny for one year."

While the #1 selection does carry legit value, for every Batman selected, there are ten Robins - good to very good players in their own right, but lack the charisma to make their teammates better and/or lack the "alpha" gene that enables legends to carry their respective franchises on their backs. Michael Jordan definitely had both those traits - would people remember Toni Kukoc if it weren't for MJ? And it's fair to surmise that Scottie Pippen - probably the paramount example of a Robin - probably wouldn't have had nearly the same career if he didn't play for Chicago in the 90s.

I can't say that LBJ made teammates better (at least consistently)- he was already blessed with plenty of talent in Miami and Los Angeles. If anything, one can say considering the cast he's underperformed in the postseason (and his latest championship was a pretty noteworthy upset over the most successful regular-season team in NBA history). He did show the capability of carrying a team on his back with his lone championship in Cleveland (this was before Kyrie was Kyrie, and his only other notable teammate was Kevin Love) but with guys like Westbrook and AD, and Bosh and DWade, just netting 3 other championships seems a bit underwhelming. LBJ probably should have 2 more titles to be honest.

1.) Jordan didn't do shit without Scottie and Scottie made the ECF when Jordan was in the minor leagues. So you're under selling just how important Pippen was to that Bulls dynasty.

2.) Lol at the notion Lebron doesn't make his teammates better. Just look at how many games the teams won before he joined them and how much they fall off when he leaves.

3.) Lebron has been a favorite in the finals only 3 times. Since 2012 (unquestionably the biggest mark on his record) he has put up GOAT level stats in the finals. He's just been unlucky that he's competed against the two best dynasties of the 2000's 7 times in the Finals. So the notion that he has under achieved by only having 4 rings is a little silly since a majority of the time Vegas thought that he was the underdog.

Is it? The #1 pick is a complete crapshoot and it can produce a no-brainer Hall of Famer like LeBron, or it can produce a total dud like Kwame Brown that can set a franchise back several more years. For comparison, teams that barely make (or just miss) the playoffs can still get a tremendously talented player that takes them to the next level. A terrific example is Giannis Antetokounmpo - arguably the top player in the NBA today - and at #15 was barely a lottery pick.

While the #1 selection does carry legit value, for every Batman selected, there are ten Robins - good to very good players in their own right, but lack the charisma to make their teammates better and/or lack the "alpha" gene that enables legends to carry their respective franchises on their backs. Michael Jordan definitely had both those traits - would people remember Toni Kukoc if it weren't for MJ? And it's fair to surmise that Scottie Pippen - probably the paramount example of a Robin - probably wouldn't have had nearly the same career if he didn't play for Chicago in the 90s.

I can't say that LBJ made teammates better (at least consistently)- he was already blessed with plenty of talent in Miami and Los Angeles. If anything, one can say considering the cast he's underperformed in the postseason (and his latest championship was a pretty noteworthy upset over the most successful regular-season team in NBA history). He did show the capability of carrying a team on his back with his lone championship in Cleveland (this was before Kyrie was Kyrie, and his only other notable teammate was Kevin Love) but with guys like Westbrook and AD, and Bosh and DWade, just netting 3 other championships seems a bit underwhelming. LBJ probably should have 2 more titles to be honest.
Might be the dumbest take on Lebron I've seen outside of Skip Bayless.

Reactions: GlenHawk
Def agree on greaser. His family won't talk to him but lebron wants to play basketball with his. I don't think they are even close to the same but lebron has certainly fired off enough ammo for a guy to feel that way.
Huh?

I was surprised to see LeBron sign the 2-year extension, having him under contract with LA for 3 more seasons.

In my mind, they are nowhere near a contender even at full-health. They have an ill-fitting roster, no draft capital, no talented young pieces, and 3 guys making around $120M, one of which being Russell Westbrook.

This could be one of those freezing cold takes, but signing this extension probably eliminated LeBron competing for an NBA title over the next 3 years (unless he forces a trade). Due to the reasons highlighted above, LA has very few ways in which they can make their team appreciably better. LeBron pushing management to go all-in for Anthony Davis helped them win the bubble title, but hurt them long-term. His follow-up move last summer when he pushed the front office to acquire Westbrook set them back even further.

I would love the Thunder to draft him. Lebrun will try to find a way to monetize the year-long experiment/experience. Maybe have Lebron’s wife start/join The Real Housewives of Oklahoma City.

I was surprised to see LeBron sign the 2-year extension, having him under contract with LA for 3 more seasons.

In my mind, they are nowhere near a contender even at full-health. They have an ill-fitting roster, no draft capital, no talented young pieces, and 3 guys making around $120M, one of which being Russell Westbrook.

This could be one of those freezing cold takes, but signing this extension probably eliminated LeBron competing for an NBA title over the next 3 years (unless he forces a trade). Due to the reasons highlighted above, LA has very few ways in which they can make their team appreciably better. LeBron pushing management to go all-in for Anthony Davis helped them win the bubble title, but hurt them long-term. His follow-up move last summer when he pushed the front office to acquire Westbrook set them back even further.

The only thing I can think of is the Lakers told Lebron that they would not trade any more future picks unless he was willing to sign an extension.

The only thing I can think of is the Lakers told Lebron that they would not trade any more future picks unless he was willing to sign an extension.

I'm sure there are a number of NBA teams clamoring to give assets away for the Lakers 2027 First Round Pick, Talen Horton-Tucker, and Austin Reaves.

LeBron is an incredible, top 3 of all time player. I understand why Cleveland let him push their front office into "win right now at all costs mode," but I'll never understand why one of the most storied franchises in pro sports allowed LeBron to push them to make decisions that have been so damaging to their future.

I'm sure there are a number of NBA teams clamoring to give assets away for the Lakers 2027 First Round Pick, Talen Horton-Tucker, and Austin Reaves.

LeBron is an incredible, top 3 of all time player. I understand why Cleveland let him push their front office into "win right now at all costs mode," but I'll never understand why one of the most storied franchises in pro sports allowed LeBron to push them to make decisions that have been so damaging to their future.

About the only one I can think of is the Nets who might be tired of the whole Kyrie drama and are willing to take the loss on the front end of the trade if they get some unprotected picks in the late 2020's hoping that the stars are gone or ojt of their prime.

The Lakers weren't exactly a well run organization before Lebron got there. They hadn't really been relevant in the title discussion for the 8+ years. The front office was a mess with Magic/Pelinka/Jeanie Buss. Desperation and disfunction are good motivators for letting a star seize power.

Lakers sucked before Lebron. They were desperate.

Lebron is no doubt a top 5 all time player. His biggest fault is his heavy handed de facto GMing of teams he is on. Sacrifice everything for today and when it burns to the ground he leaves. I think he left titles on the table because of it.

Reactions: Finance85

Lakers 2027 & 2029 first round picks will probably be lottery picks, maybe top 5.

I was not surprised. I think a late 30's Lebron is thinking beyond his playing days at this point. He's always had a home in L.A. and loves it there. He's cashing in and getting ready for his first post-basketball move.

Lebron is no doubt a top 5 all time player. His biggest fault is his heavy handed de facto GMing of teams he is on. Sacrifice everything for today and when it burns to the ground he leaves. I think he left titles on the table because of it.
It’s an interesting contrast with Steph Curry, who while nowhere near the all-around player, is still a top 20 player of all time, and a more beloved guy than LeBron.

They would have won the title in 2019 had Durant and Thompson not gotten hurt. With Durant leaving to continue his never-ending quest for happiness (still hasn’t found it) and Thompson out for 2019-2020, they had no real path to competitiveness. With Thompson getting hurt again during COVID, they again were not going to compete in 2020-2021.

Most megastars in his situation would demand some “win now” moves as another year of his prime drifts away. But Curry does not interject himself in the front office, and it allowed the Warriors to make some sneaky moves (Andrew Wiggins) and to develop an outstanding young player in Jordan Poole.

This (along with GS ownership willingness to spend exorbitant luxury tax) allowed them to build their next championship team. Had Steph demanded desperation moves (as LeBron would have) they would be horribly positioned moving forward.

Related, but I heard an interview with Steve Kerr after the recent title where he recalled that their acquisition of Wiggins was made possible by two previous moves, the first of which was trading Andre Iguodala. When they traded Iguodala, Kerr was beside himself, but looking back, he says this is a prime example of why players and coaches should have minuscule input with roster decisions, because they cannot be objective enough.

The Lakers were irrelevant from 2012-LeBron because of their irrational loyalty to Kobe Bryant.

If LeBron decides to, he's the real GM/coach.
He’s already the real GM/coach. Is there any real chance JJ Redick will stand up to Lebron under any circumstances? Lebron is calling all the shots. Bronny will be a Laker by the end of the day.

Draft him, send his G-League ass to Australia. The old man will be an even older man when that contract runs out.
F- them both.
Well no GM is going to piss off a power agent for the reason you posted. He won't get touched if LeBron and Rich don't want him to.

Reactions: McLovin32
Well no GM is going to piss off a power agent for the reason you posted. He won't get touched if LeBron and Rich don't want him to.
That can work both ways though. Rich Paul pisses off too many owners and they're not as excited to answer the phone when he calls. It seems like a mistake for millionaires to think they've always got leverage over billionaires.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT