ADVERTISEMENT

Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin

• Total voters
Mount Rushmore of rock bands.

Eddie Vedder>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>My imaginary dog>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Deion Sanders>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>My left Testicle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dexter Morgan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mike Hunt>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kirk Ferentz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Haywood Jablome>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Joe Rogan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bobby Boucher>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>a Rock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Robert Plantz.

I've always had very mixed feelings about them. I think they are tremendously talented, but I really don't like very many of their songs. There are only a few with which I won't change the channel.

Like their music, hate their morals - they are notorious for ripping off songs from black bluesmen.
(And I can't believe they beat the rap for stealing the idea for Stairway to Heaven from Spirit who was opening for them. George Harrison lost a similar case decades earlier.)

Not only is Robert Plantz literally a worse vocalist than the lady singing from Rush (I know guys, it's really a dude), I find out they steal all their songs from others? Good Band guyzzzzzzz!

I hate them. F*cking thieves.

When Holmes was made aware of the plagiarism, he wasn't even upset by it. I don't think he pursued any compensation.

Zeppelin ripped off a lot, but they certainly wrote volumes of their own songs and they are rock royalty

Ironically, I was sent a cease and desist letter from a guy claiming to be Jimmy Page's attorney for creating and selling replicas of his Dragon Telecaster. It was flattering, looking back. That was over 10 years ago.

Reactions: pablow
Led Zeppelin is one of the most overrated (cover) bands out there. I'd be happy if their entire catalogue disappeared as it would save me from having to switch the channel whenever one of their songs come on. If I wanted to listen to one of their songs, somebody else probably recorded a version of it first anyway. Come at me bro.

**Oddly enough, I like some of Robert Plant's solo stuff though...that can stay.

Eddie Vedder>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>My imaginary dog>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Deion Sanders>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>My left Testicle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dexter Morgan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mike Hunt>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kirk Ferentz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Haywood Jablome>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Joe Rogan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bobby Boucher>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>a Rock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Robert Plantz.

No. Anyone that records this is musical trash. I love the live versions when Pearl Jammers cheer it on like it's not trash. But it is trash. And so is Pearl Jam with marble mouth Eddie Vedder. Come at me bro.

Top 5 for me. Maybe top 10 if I try really hard to remember other bands. But probably still top 5.

Back in the day, I learned a valuable life lesson by listening to people praise or hate on Led Zeppelin.

"Led Zeppelin is awesome. Every one of their albums has 3 or 4 really good songs."

"Led Zeppelin sucks. None of their albums has more than 3 or 4 really good songs."

I would expect them to be even more popular if they came along today since modern music marketing means never having to buy tunes you don't like.

Led Zeppelin is one of the most overrated (cover) bands out there. I'd be happy if their entire catalogue disappeared as it would save me from having to switch the channel whenever one of their songs come on. If I wanted to listen to one of their songs, somebody else probably recorded a version of it first anyway. Come at me bro.

**Oddly enough, I like some of Robert Plant's solo stuff though...that can stay.
In a literal starscape of bad takes on this forum, this one is the dogstar.

Easily in my top 5.

Again, musical tastes are individual, much like tastes in food or drink or women or men. What sounds awesome to one person sounds like crap to another. It does not make either opinion right or wrong.

And there are very very few artists out there that one cannot state they weren't influenced in some fashion by what they grew up on. Now, I do find the downright stealing of songs to be somewhat abhorrent - but we also (for example) can or probably should loathe where other bands maybe did not borrow actual songs, but they did rip off the look, style, musical tastes etc.

You show me a successful musical act, and chances are I can show you another act that effectively copied them.

Led Zeppelin, there is enough of a body of work to where if one removed what and whom they copied, the rest of their material still ranks them up there for me. LZ's 50th best song still kicks the shit out of 99% of any band one can name's best song. That's why I don't hold the song stealing against them.

Easily in my top 5.

Again, musical tastes are individual, much like tastes in food or drink or women or men. What sounds awesome to one person sounds like crap to another. It does not make either opinion right or wrong.

And there are very very few artists out there that one cannot state they weren't influenced in some fashion by what they grew up on. Now, I do find the downright stealing of songs to be somewhat abhorrent - but we also (for example) can or probably should loathe where other bands maybe did not borrow actual songs, but they did rip off the look, style, musical tastes etc.

You show me a successful musical act, and chances are I can show you another act that effectively copied them.

Led Zeppelin, there is enough of a body of work to where if one removed what and whom they copied, the rest of their material still ranks them up there for me. LZ's 50th best song still kicks the shit out of 99% of any band one can name's best song. That's why I don't hold the song stealing against them.
You beat me to it about the rest of the catalog. Most of that stuff is found on the first couple records, and PG and Houses of the Holy later on are all time records for any group, Graffiti especially.

In a literal starscape of bad takes on this forum, this one is the dogstar.

Don't care. Their music...

9_2_14_Andrea_Mexico_trash_1050_788_s_c1_c_c.jpg

The thing about hating on Zeppelin for “stealing” content is that these controversial songs only add up to a small fraction of their catalog. It’s undeniable that they wrote dozens of legendary songs on their own. It’s also undeniable that the musicianship in the band is arguably the best ever assembled in rock history. Writing them off simply as a bunch of thieves isn’t even close to fair.

. . .

Ironically, I was sent a cease and desist letter from a guy claiming to be Jimmy Page's attorney for creating and selling replicas of his Dragon Telecaster. It was flattering, looking back. That was over 10 years ago.

Wow - that takes some chutzpah.

Reactions: strummingram
I'd put them in around 10. In terms of bands I like, they'd be lower. If they hadn't stolen a bunch of songs, they'd be higher.

Their best is amongst the best ever. Their worst is really meh. They are a lot like the Who in that regards (I know, completely different sounding bands), but I'd rather listen to the Who.

Related to the topic of stealing songs, here's a very nice story about one of the giants in the music industry. This is what it looks like to treat people fairly and not steal their intellectual property.

In 1957, Sadie Vimmerstedt, a widowed hairdresser from Ohio, thought she came up with a nice line for a song - "I wanna be around to pick up the pieces when somebody breaks your heart." She wrote the line down and mailed it in a letter to Johnny Mercer, one of the greatest singer/song writer ever. Here's the envelope -

gsu_music_942.jpg

As you can see, the post office forwarded it to ASCAP because there was no address. Eventually Mercer got and did nothing with it.

Years later in 1962, Mercer decided to act on it and wrote one of Tony Bennett's biggest hits - "I Wanna Be Around." Amazingly, he gave Sadie a 50% writing credit. Toward the end of 1963 a $50,000 check showed up in her mailbox. She attended the Grammys when the song was nominated for song of the year. She retired and was able to travel the world. Royalties came in for the rest of her life.

MN0055126.gif

I love a lot of their songs and understand the talent and how revered they are, I was just too obsessed with Black Sabbath at the time. I never owned an album.

Got them in my Top 50. They were in my boyfriend/husband’s stereo and played every time we were in his room doing the hokey pokey. Memories y’all 😉

Robert Plant - Greatest lead singer of all time.
Jimmy Page - Greatest guitarist of all time.
John Paul Jones - Greatest bassist of all time.
John Bonham- Greatest drummer of all time.

They're the most musically talented band of all time.

They're in the top 2 greatest bands of all time. The other are the Beatles.

Every Zeppelin song is good. They're amazing.

Last edited:
The thing about hating on Zeppelin for “stealing” content is that these controversial songs only add up to a small fraction of their catalog. It’s undeniable that they wrote dozens of legendary songs on their own. It’s also undeniable that the musicianship in the band is arguably the best ever assembled in rock history. Writing them off simply as a bunch of thieves isn’t even close to fair.

Exactly.

They took songs that no one knew about and made them great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT