• 1970 Men's Basketball

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • 1980 Men's Basketball

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
Where does this Women's team rank in the history of great Iowa teams post 1960?

Pick your top few teams.

This Iowa team is nails, I hope they do well in the Dance!

Where does this Women's team rank in the history of great Iowa teams post 1960?

Pick your top few teams.

This Iowa team is nails, I hope they do well in the Dance!

Why did you pick 1996 for wrestling? Just my opinion but 1986 we had 5 National Champions and scored 158 points ( something like 73 points better than the runner up)

Or 1997 were we scored 170 (an all time record) and 57 points better than the runner up). Also 5 individual champions including the strongest man in the world Jessie Whitmer

Why did you pick 1996 for wrestling? Just my opinion but 1986 we had 5 National Champions and scored 158 points ( something like 73 points better than the runner up)

Or 1997 were we scored 170 (an all time record) and 57 points better than the runner up). Also 5 individual champions including the strongest man in the world Jessie Whitmer
I assumed he meant 1997.

BTW - the answer to the poll is “TBD.”

I admit. Not an Iowa wrestling expert or even close. Just knew I had to have them in the mix.

🫣

If there had been no national titles in wrestling, the '56 national runners-up in men's basketball would deserve a mention.

But given that is not the case, the answer is one of the national title wrestling teams. No other team is even in the conversation. What are we talking about here?

Reactions: littlez and HawCory
Most votes so far for the 2024 women. Best team ever?
I think they were a better team last year. We don't have a big near the capability of Czinano or Gustafson on this team and without that, there's no way this team is better than last year. Add in the loss of Warnock as well. No way this team is as good as last year and we're seeing that with inconsistent play and some spectacular losses to teams we should've been beating this year. Not to be a Debbie downer as they'll get a chance to prove otherwise regardless but yeah, this is going to be tougher than last year in my opinion.

I really struggle seeing us even getting back to a final 4 this year, depending on matchups, let alone being an actual contender. We don't have a chance against USC like we did last year because we had Czinano. I guess anything is possible but it's an uphill battle that rivals Sisyphus.

I think they were a better team last year. We don't have a big near the capability of Czinano or Gustafson on this team and without that, there's no way this team is better than last year. Add in the loss of Warnock as well. No way this team is as good as last year and we're seeing that with inconsistent play and some spectacular losses to teams we should've been beating this year. Not to be a Debbie downer as they'll get a chance to prove otherwise regardless but yeah, this is going to be tougher than last year in my opinion.

I really struggle seeing us even getting back to a final 4 this year, depending on matchups, let alone being an actual contender. We don't have a chance against USC like we did last year because we had Czinano. I guess anything is possible but it's an uphill battle that rivals Sisyphus.

I’m guessing we can’t get the boulder quite as close this year and only halfway up the hill next year.

Well honestly I'd have to disagree totally. We are better THIS year on EVERY single metric you look at. We are better on offense AND defense. We are a better rebounding team then last year. Monica was neither a good rebounder or defender, nor did she run the floor like HS. Iowa is the ONLY team in the game besides S Carolina who has beaten EVERY team on their schedule. Just those top two teams have done that. Our record is two games better then last season. Frankly the really good teams in the NCAA tourney really slowed MC down last year other then the pick and rolls against SC and we can still do that this year even better with Hannah. We have just as much a chance as last year against SC, LSU, or whomever because we aren't going to beat those teams with a low post game anymore then we did last year. WE'll have to spread the floor and let Clark drive and kick to shooters or dish when she draws two or 3 players....And drop bombs of course...

I don't disagree, and 3 weeks ago I would have totally agreed with you. But Syd is really coming on and Kate & Hanna are more consistent and make more plays. If Gabby gets hot they can do well in the Dance.

Reactions: Bishop-71
Now the 24 Iowa Women have the most votes (by a pretty wide margin) beating the second place 23 Iowa Women by 6 votes.

I find that interesting ..... and totally awesome.

Great work by the gals getting to the E8. Need to get this one tonight cement their place at or near the top!

Back to back FF's? Unheard of here in little old Ioway.

Win two more W's it would be tough to argue that any Iowa team in history was better than the CC-led Hawks.

• Haha
Reactions: Underscore2
1956 Men's Basketball, 1958 Football, 1986 Wrestling, 1997 Wrestling, and last year's team are the only parallels. Win the natty, and this years team can take the crown.

*That 1956 men's team is the only one without a national championship. Too bad they had to face Bill Russell.

Reactions: WSC72
Back to back FF's? Unheard of here in little old Ioway.

Win two more W's it would be tough to argue that any Iowa team in history was better than the CC-led Hawks.
Other than winning 9 Wrestling National Championships in n a row under Gable you mean?

Then that time Wrestling won 3 in row?

Then that other time we won 6 titles in a row.

Sorry that might come across as a bit sarcastic. Not intended that way. Sometimes I think we get too caught up with the 'now' rather than seeing the big picture. It will be almost impossible for Iowa to top what Gable and the wrestling program did. (and I kind of strayed from the actual question of 'one team')

Last edited:
I can only vote on teams in my lifetime that I've seen, that would dismiss the 1980 BB team as I was just 4 years old.

As far as what teams I've enjoyed the most:

1: 86-87 mens BB
2. 85 Football
3. 02 football
4/5. 2022/23 & 2023-24 women's bball

Other than winning 9 Wrestling National Championships in n a row under Gable you mean?

Then that time Wrestling won 3 in row?

Then that other time we won 6 titles in a row.

Sorry that might come across as a bit sarcastic. Not intended that way. Sometimes I think we get too caught up with the 'now' rather than seeing the big picture. It will be almost impossible for Iowa to top what Gable and the wrestling program did. (and I kind of strayed from the actual question of 'one team')
Touché. The Iowa wrestling teams displayed dominance that is unparalleled.

I wasn't so caught up in the "now" as I was focused on football and BB. My bad.

Touché. The Iowa wrestling teams displayed dominance that is unparalleled.

I wasn't so caught up in the "now" as I was focused on football and BB. My bad.

That makes total sense. We all have our points of focus. The post brings up some great memories of a lot of sports!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT