ADVERTISEMENT

Legal options for cannabis in Iowa?

Hey gang. Does anyone have any knowledge about what is available using cannabis as a pain reliever in Iowa? The pain in both of shoulders has gotten so bad that I am not sleeping much at all which impacts my day to day life a great deal. I can’t have surgery on both shoulders at once and don’t want a script for something that will do more harm than good. I have heard that obtaining such a thing in Iowa is/will be very, very difficult. Any knowledge on the subject or first hand accounts would be greatly appreciated.
Read there is a store opening up in a DM suburb. May be others elsewhere. Google the subject.

There is a CBD subreddit too. I’ve been researching it because my oldest son has been struggling with his anxiety and hates the side effects from prescription meds. CBD people insist it is legal everywhere if it has less than.03 thc which is the case with most of it. Some has 0. Check out the reddit. There is a lot of really good info and if you research enough you will see the same 4 or 5 companies recommended a lot.

Reactions: jellyfish10
You have to be dying in order to qualify for the weak legal cannabis in Iowa. I’ve done quite a bit or research on it. Shoulder pain, as well as my back pain doesn’t qualify. I’ve tried Kratum and CBD lotions and drops. Neither of those work for me. So, I get my weed in either CA, OR or NV and ship it home. Luckily I have a job that requires a spend a bit of time every 2-3 months in those states.

I started out getting my medical card in CA, back when it was still required. Now that it’s legal, the medical card still helps as I can buy more potent weed as well as larger quantities in one trip. I started out with edible gummies, which were ok. I prefer the instant high from smoking though. 2nd issue is I don’t really like the taste of smoking weed. So, I’ve moved on to wax and vaping, which I have found is perfect for me. Wax is very easy to ship as it doesn’t take up much space, it doesn’t smell even remotely has harsh as bud does and it barely has the marijuana taste.

I prefer the feeling smoking cannabis wax has over drinking. No calories, no hangover. It helps tremendously with my back pain. I don’t feel a thing for the 2 hour high, on a piece of wax the size of a grain of rice. I also feel like it’s changed my life. I’ve become much more tolerable to be around. I was getting to be a grumpy old cuss to be around. I’ve mellowed quite a bit over the past year.

I smoked occasional crap weed in high school and college. Gave it up for 25 years due to the stigma attached to it...you know, being a grown up, a Dad and all of that. Now I smoke every night. With the vape pen, I can be buzzed in about 2-3 minutes.

I’m really hoping MO passes medical marijuana with their election and I can get my card there. It’s only an hour to the border from where I live.

Iowa needs to get on board with at least the medical marijuana options. It’s befuddling to me that we allow the junior college dropouts in the Statehouse to make these decisions for all Iowans.

You have to be dying in order to qualify for the weak legal cannabis in Iowa. I’ve done quite a bit or research on it. Shoulder pain, as well as my back pain doesn’t qualify. I’ve tried Kratum and CBD lotions and drops. Neither of those work for me. So, I get my weed in either CA, OR or NV and ship it home. Luckily I have a job that requires a spend a bit of time every 2-3 months in those states.

I started out getting my medical card in CA, back when it was still required. Now that it’s legal, the medical card still helps as I can buy more potent weed as well as larger quantities in one trip. I started out with edible gummies, which were ok. I prefer the instant high from smoking though. 2nd issue is I don’t really like the taste of smoking weed. So, I’ve moved on to wax and vaping, which I have found is perfect for me. Wax is very easy to ship as it doesn’t take up much space, it doesn’t smell even remotely has harsh as bud does and it barely has the marijuana taste.

I prefer the feeling smoking cannabis wax has over drinking. No calories, no hangover. It helps tremendously with my back pain. I don’t feel a thing for the 2 hour high, on a piece of wax the size of a grain of rice. I also feel like it’s changed my life. I’ve become much more tolerable to be around. I was getting to be a grumpy old cuss to be around. I’ve mellowed quite a bit over the past year.

I smoked occasional crap weed in high school and college. Gave it up for 25 years due to the stigma attached to it...you know, being a grown up, a Dad and all of that. Now I smoke every night. With the vape pen, I can be buzzed in about 2-3 minutes.

I’m really hoping MO passes medical marijuana with their election and I can get my card there. It’s only an hour to the border from where I live.

How old are you? All of the young guys that work for me anymore don’t smoke much...wax, edibles, vape are far more popular. As an old school smoker, I still enjoy the aroma, the tools, and the environment.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
How old are you? All of the young guys that work for me anymore don’t smoke much...wax, edibles, vape are far more popular. As an old school smoker, I still enjoy the aroma, the tools, and the environment.
Wax was really expensive when I was still smoking regularly (5-6 years ago and for a couple months 2 years ago when I had a reliable non-college and non-dirtbag source). It was also hard to find. Found hash oil a few times (which I really liked). Nobody really had the gear for wax either, so the kids who had it seemed to waste it compared to what I've read about it since. We really only made edibles when we found some inexpensive mids in larger quantities. Didn't like to risk screwing up a batch with good stuff. Nobody we knew was selling edibles from medical suppliers.

Wax is my favorite method. I use to vape oil, but wax is superior. Wax is a clean high that has also helped me with lower back pain and I sleep much better at night. It is all about dosage. It can be too intense for some people, but there are so many different kinds of wax with different levels of thc. Delivery method is also a factor. My vaporizer has several different cartridges. If I'm in a hurry I pop on the dab cartridge and can be high in 10 seconds. Usually I use the wax cartridge and it only takes a little bit to get high. It is amazing.

I’m 48. I still have some bud around in case I run out of wax. Wax is just ridiculously smooth and extremely convenient. I use the Evolve Plus vap pen. It has a storage container at the bottom. Loads within seconds and is discrete.

Hey gang. Does anyone have any knowledge about what is available using cannabis as a pain reliever in Iowa? The pain in both of shoulders has gotten so bad that I am not sleeping much at all which impacts my day to day life a great deal. I can’t have surgery on both shoulders at once and don’t want a script for something that will do more harm than good. I have heard that obtaining such a thing in Iowa is/will be very, very difficult. Any knowledge on the subject or first hand accounts would be greatly appreciated.
CBD oil has helped my shoulder and other aches more than biofreeze or such.

Last edited:
What distributor have you been using? Also do you get capsules or the powder?
The best vendors vary (some of the same ones reorganize as laws change, new competition, the demand shifts as the awareness/popularity changes). I would have to search through my gmail archive for the one I used a couple times last year. You have to visit reddit and other user forums and go on testimonials to keep up with the quality vendors.

As for administration, start with capsules from a currently reputable vendor just to try it. The markup is there, but you don't want to taste kratom. Even with the capsules, you'll burp a little kratom flavor. If you like kratom and decide you want to be more economical, buy powder and a capsule filling machine. A 00 capsule packed holds about half a gram of kratom. The vendor mark up for capsules is prohibitive. You can learn how to use a capsule filling machine in about 10 minutes and from there it takes you about 10-15 minutes each time you want to make your own capsules. The capsule filling machine I used made 100 capsules, or somewhere between 40-50 grams of kratom. That's 3-4 heavy doses or 10 small doses.

You can get powder to save money and not put it in your own capsules to save money, but kratom tastes gross. Capsules are by far the best way to ingest.

For those that live in or travel to the legalized states, how much are the oil cartridges for 500 mg and let's say around 90% THC? I've heard all sorts of answers to this. $60 is the price I'm seeing in central Iowa. I've heard they are in the $30-40 range in Colorado, California, etc.

For those that live in or travel to the legalized states, how much are the oil cartridges for 500 mg and let's say around 90% THC? I've heard all sorts of answers to this. $60 is the price I'm seeing in central Iowa. I've heard they are in the $30-40 range in Colorado, California, etc.

That’s pretty accurate. $60 in Illinois from a dispensary.

My wife gets horrible migraines. I keep telling her she should try to get medicinal marijuana but I guess I don't know if Iowa allows that.

Just heard someone talking about a new migraine med.

I know nothing about it, but you might want to check it out.

That’s pretty accurate. $60 in Illinois from a dispensary.

I think these are being shipped (or driven?) from California, but thanks for the answer because it surprises me. Are you sure the ones you're referring to aren't a full gram? I've seen those "double" cartridges here, but they were $100.

I think these are being shipped (or driven?) from California, but thanks for the answer because it surprises me. Are you sure the ones you're referring to aren't a full gram? I've seen those "double" cartridges here, but they were $100.

Definitely half grams. Mine are made in Illinois, by law they have to be. They are way overpriced but I can deal with that for the legality.

My dispensary has an online menu

https://www.leafly.com/dispensary-info/medmar-chicago

Last edited:
Reactions: Pepperman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT