ADVERTISEMENT

Sayings which you find profound

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I have two.

The first is choose the pain you want or the pain will choose you. I heard this in the context of financial advice in making a tough choice with no great options, but it applies to everything. It really had me thinking about health as I stare down 50 this summer. I can choose the pain of working out and such, or some type of pain will choose me eventually down the road. You can apply this to almost any short term/long term choice you have to make, whether it is dealing with the environment, health, or finances.

The other is there are long days and fast years. There are many long days with kids, especially when they are very young, but damn, the years go fast.

Last edited:
1. Nullum gratuitum prandium.
2. The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.
3. If you don't believe that people hew strongly to irrational opinions, try telling somebody their baby is ugly.
No free lunch? Tell that to our would-be redistributioners of wealth.

• Haha
Reactions: Aardvark86
giphy.gif

Similarly, don't let a choice you make in the next seconds ruin the rest of your life. I heard this uttered in the context of heated moments, whether it be family strife or road rage.
on the other hand, if it's not worth worrying about five years from now, it's not worth worrying about.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
I have a few.

1. Life is lived forward, but learned backwards.
2. If you want to shine in front of everyone, you have to work in front of no one.
3. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.
4. Winners focus on winning, losers bitch about winners.
5. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Players make plays, and losers lose. That's my philosophy on sports, and ties into another that recruits are like a tube of tooth paste. Any given year there are only so many playmakers to spread around, and if you don't get them, you will lose. See, e.g., Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, and OSU.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

This slogan was on the wall of the office of our
high school football coach..

Don't eat yellow snow.
Sometimes you're the windshield; Sometimes you're the bug.
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. ~ Shane Falco, The Replacements
Endeavor to persevere. ~ Chief Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josie Wales

"It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand."
- Apache Tribe

Reactions: h-hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT