ADVERTISEMENT

Sayings which you find profound

It isn't about the size of the wave, it is about the motion in the ocean. Or is that what i keep telling myself, I forget

I have two.

The first is choose the pain you want or the pain will choose you. I heard this in the context of financial advice in making a tough choice with no great options, but it applies to everything. It really had me thinking about health as I stare down 50 this summer. I can choose the pain of working out and such, or some type of pain will choose me eventually down the road. You can apply this to almost any short term/long term choice you have to make, whether it is dealing with the environment, health, or finances.

The other is there are long days and fast years. There are many long days with kids, especially when they are very young, but damn, the years go fast.
Not everything old is valuable and not everything valuable is old.

The biggest one for me really is: There but for the grace of God go I.

The line between being a "have" and a "have not" is really thin. One or two things break the other way, and I could easily be the guy begging for spare change and sleeping on a bench. I always try to remain thankful that things have turned out like they have, and never take it for granted.

I will add another one of my favorites in the Des Moines skywalk:

images

Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

Don’t dip your pen in company ink.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.
Some good ones.
Cuban refined it to perfection is the enemy of profit.
Gretzky was asked if he was a gunner and said “over 99% of the shots i don’t take don’t go in”.
I’ll add :
Never do business with a guy wearing more jewelry than your wife.
When speaking to a group be brilliant and brief, if you can’t be very brilliant
be very brief.
Everybody hates a know it all.
The smartest guy in the room never has to talk about it.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT