ADVERTISEMENT

Leistikow: "It's time to Quiet the 'Kris should be starting' takes."

Kris gets higher points per minute than PMac because he is playing more minutes with Keegan on the bench than PMac is, and thus his opportunities to score are much higher.

That being said, all the advanced metrics indicate that Kris is playing better than PMac overall.

I support Kris coming off the bench, however, as our rotations are MUCH better doing it this way than if he started. I do think his overall minutes could go up, but in terms of just starting I think the debate is kind of dumb. The team is better with him coming off the bench......just get him 3-5 more minutes per game though :)

Understood and completely agree. Kris is an extremely intelligent young man who's not very likely to say something without first giving it careful thought.
Correct. And again, Kris may genuinely feel that way. Like I said, I take a lot of these public comments with a grain of salt. Who knows how he really feels? If he likes coming off the bench and it works, I think it's great.

Reactions: mstp1992
Yes, and I'm very happy to be wrong about this season.

I also admit I shouldn't have wasted the board's time arguing with someone like franisdaman. Again, I hope he gets the validation he needs.

"experts" like you need to get called out for your BS and I was glad to do it

you really need to get over yourself. After all, for some reason you think you are an expert on:

* What Kris really meant when he said he was happy coming off the bench

* Who should start and how many minutes everyone should get

* Who should get fired (you have called for KF's firing, too, btw)

Kris gets higher points per minute than PMac because he is playing more minutes with Keegan on the bench than PMac is, and thus his opportunities to score are much higher.

That being said, all the advanced metrics indicate that Kris is playing better than PMac overall.

I support Kris coming off the bench, however, as our rotations are MUCH better doing it this way than if he started. I do think his overall minutes could go up, but in terms of just starting I think the debate is kind of dumb. The team is better with him coming off the bench......just get him 3-5 more minutes per game though :)
They might be better with him coming off the bench, they might not be. How would we know? Kris has only started one game this season.

I have an agenda? Lol. Okay. I even admitted I was wrong about firing Fran after this season. Not because my opinion of Fran has changed, but because the facts no longer support it.

And newsflash: when you have someone as self absorbed and obsessed as frandamanis, it’s probably not a good thing that he is lapping your posts up. But hopefully you are receiving the same ego boost fran is. 🙄
You are pretty emotional after losses. I think you know this as we've discussed this before. Just take some time like I do, and go throw sh** outside.

Would need to dive into this to prove it or disprove it, but at least on the face of it, not true. Shouldn't it be easier to score and be efficient when doing so when Keegan is on the floor? Kris sat most of the first half against MSU due to 2 fouls. He scored all 11 of his points in the second half. 9 of them came while Keegan was on the floor. For the second half, Kr. Murray had 11 points in 12:37 of game time.

Kr. Murray starting or not starting is not all that important to me. If anything it's fine to introduce him into the game a ways in so that he doesn't get immediate fouls. The issue, as you pointed out, is his play warrants 5-ish more minutes of PT a game.

Reactions: longliveCS40
You are pretty emotional after losses. I think you know this as we've discussed this before. Just take some time like I do, and go throw sh** outside.
Lol. Maybe I should try that. Got a forest behind our backyard.

I actually disagree about being emotional after basketball losses. I've kinda become indifferent to them because of my Fran fatigue.

I've been pretty consistent with the following:

1. I've stated many times I've wanted to move on from Fran. Had the season played out like I originally expected, I believe he should have been fired after this season. However, you can't fire a coach who has had arguably their best coaching job and has guided this team into overachieving.

2. Regardless of who is speaking, player or coach, I take public comments with a grain of salt. That does not mean I believe said player or coach is lying or that I'm impugning anyone's integrity.

Reactions: Hawks4Life86
Why are we bickering with each other over a mostly insignificant topic? We're playing well. We're winning, The boys are having fun. Will this shit never end?

Escher-Penrose-500.gif

Probably not

Unless he is in foul trouble he gets starter minutes or nearly. I love the energy we get from the bench. Both point guard, Sandfort, and Kris give us a spark most nights. I'd put Conner in there too but not sure how available he will be. The last couple games, since Penn State, he has been excellent as well.
He has only had only 4 games with over 25 minutes; he has not had that much foul trouble. So let’s not kid ourselves into thinking he gets starter minutes. The lack of more playing time is one of the most perplexing things I have ever seen in Iowa basketball. What’s the possible rationale; the other players are better? Please. We don’t get players like this very often and it would sure be nice if we could take full advantage of them when we have them.

You're right. And I apologize to the board for triggering franisdaman and getting sucked into his crap.

My crap?

There you go again.

I simply pointed out to the board (1) your blatant lie; and (2) your "take what Kris said with a grain of salt" nonsense.

Both (1) and (2) obviously triggered you, because you then proceeded to post nonstop, where all you did was dig yourself an even bigger hole.

I think PMAC gets fewer ppm because he is an inefficient shooter---PMAC strength is he can create his own shot and his problem is he takes too many dificult shots. PMAC shooting form is flawed and he looks to be less of a pure 3pt shooter at 31% than Kris at 40%.

Kris sometimes making silly fouls---and that is symptom of his his lack of playing time and historic quick hook. Kris want to make things happen when he is on the court, so more cheap fouls on steal attempts, going for rebounds.

It is not possible for any human being to be 100% correct on every decision---so I doubt Fran has a 100%l track record on every decision he makes and the debate on KrisM playing time is reasonable. I personally would like to see more PT for Kris.

Would need to dive into this to prove it or disprove it, but at least on the face of it, not true. Shouldn't it be easier to score and be efficient when doing so when Keegan is on the floor? Kris sat most of the first half against MSU due to 2 fouls. He scored all 11 of his points in the second half. 9 of them came while Keegan was on the floor. For the second half, Kr. Murray had 11 points in 12:37 of game time.

Kr. Murray starting or not starting is not all that important to me. If anything it's fine to introduce him into the game a ways in so that he doesn't get immediate fouls. The issue, as you pointed out, is his play warrants 5-ish more minutes of PT a game.

Being efficient is easier with Keegan, yes, but in terms of just scoring when Keegan is on the bench it is clear that Kris is more aggressive in looking for his shot - in part because without Keegan there aren't many players who can create or score.

Reactions: unclesammy
"experts" like you need to get called out for your BS and I was glad to do it

you really need to get over yourself. After all, for some reason you think you are an expert on:

* What Kris really meant when he said he was happy coming off the bench

* Who should start and how many minutes everyone should get

* Who should get fired (you have called for KF's firing, too, btw)

I've never seen a player tell media he is dissatisfied with how Fran doles out his PT and it would be PT suicide to complain to media.

Player's let their opinions be known at the end of seasons when they transfer out, and Fran
has averaged around ~1.5 out transfers/yr for past 5 years.

I don't think Kris would transfer out because he is Iowa native, legacy, well grounded personality and he will
take Keegan's role next year. He could leave early to G-league and improve his game.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Izzo thinks Fran could be Big Ten coach of year. Think about it He has done an incredible job. Rebuilt a team and we can play with anyone.
My opinion to the coming year. PMac is special talent. Most coaches discuss him and many announcers too. Serious skills If he can get 5-7% jump in strength and weight he could be the second coming of Sir Jamalot. Kris needs a small jump in strength and if can develope a right hand baby hook or right hand finish then we have Keegan 2.0
We finally have inner city toughness guards with Joe , Perkins and Tullis. Tougher than MSU guards! Love them.

Let’s enjoy this ride with a very very fun team. Future very bright too.
Izzo usually beats IOWA like a drum….
Signal—izzo would rather play Fran than another

They might be better with him coming off the bench, they might not be. How would we know? Kris has only started one game this season.
It's all speculative because even if he started 10 games the sample sizes aren't very large either way if one was trying to prove something 100% based on statistics. So I guess it's just based on experience as a coach and as a fan of college basketball and the NBA.

Anyone with coaching experience knows that starting your best 5 players doesn't always provide the best outcome for a full game, because you need to rotate players in and out. So you need balance across 40 minutes. Clearly, as twins, Keegan and Kris' roles overlap quite a bit even if their skill sets differ slightly. This is exacerbated by the lack of a good backup for Rebraca or a player who can create their own scoring opportunities when Keegan is on the bench. Add all those together and I think it's fair to hypothesize that our team's overall offensive and defensive efficiencies are better with Kris coming off the bench. Fran and staff appear to feel the same way.

I've never seen a player tell media he is dissatisfied with how Fran doles out his PT and it would be PT suicide to complain to media.

Player's let their opinions be known at the end of seasons when they transfer out, and Fran

I don't think Kris would transfer out because he is Iowa native, legacy, well grounded personality and he will
take Keegan's role next year. He could leave early to G-league and improve his game.
How dare you call Kris a liar!! :p

I'm good with Kris coming off the bench, but we should run more plays for him. Mr. Kenyon is on record stating Kris (Not Keegan) was the focal point of the offense at CR Prairie and he excelled. I'm already looking forward to the Illinois game. Get the ball to Kris at the top of the key and have him just line drive past Kofi. Our only way to win this battle is to run Kofi off the court - our very own "death lineup." He also needs to shoot a minimum of four three points per game.

Last edited:
Reactions: acuhawk and no_one_
Iowa is finishing up the most favorable stretch of their Big Ten schedule. Slow down folks. The win - loss numbers were predictable.

Reactions: acuhawk
Wait, some think that Kris would say anything other than he is fine coming off the bench? I am sure Fran would have enjoyed reading Kris say he should be starting.

Team is playing well, that said, not playing your second best player more minutes is fair to be questioned.

Reactions: acuhawk

All we can go by is from what Kris said. And from what he said, he seems satisfied with his role, the team chemistry, and most importantly, winning.

Kris said he enjoys the low-pressure role of coming off the bench.

And when it came to being the 6th man, he also said this:

“I like it, just because it helps us keep the same intensity as the first group. And there’s no let-up at all from the first group to the second group.”

So we should take the word of someone who signed onto this board last fall and is consistently negative regarding everything concerned with the coaching staff and players, over Kris himself? In your own teenage lingo, LMAO!
Dude got banned for being an idiot awhile back, came back with a different name, and same thing will happen again.

It's all speculative because even if he started 10 games the sample sizes aren't very large either way if one was trying to prove something 100% based on statistics. So I guess it's just based on experience as a coach and as a fan of college basketball and the NBA.

Anyone with coaching experience knows that starting your best 5 players doesn't always provide the best outcome for a full game, because you need to rotate players in and out. So you need balance across 40 minutes. Clearly, as twins, Keegan and Kris' roles overlap quite a bit even if their skill sets differ slightly. This is exacerbated by the lack of a good backup for Rebraca or a player who can create their own scoring opportunities when Keegan is on the bench. Add all those together and I think it's fair to hypothesize that our team's overall offensive and defensive efficiencies are better with Kris coming off the bench. Fran and staff appear to feel the same way.
it does however give you the highest likelihood of playing them the most minutes.

How many teams out there don't start their 5 best players? Not many that I've seen.

Certainly, there are reasons not to. Mainly if you have a player in the starting lineup already that has the same skillset but is better than that 6th man in question. I just don't see that with Kris.

Kris has a great outside game and can defend guards. I see zero reason to be starting Perkins with his current struggles.

As with anything on this board, these are opinions. I don't think they warrant ad hominem attacks and silliness that I'm seeing in this thread.

Ultimately, it's up to the coaches to decide. To say their decisions are beyond reproach is equally silly in my opinion. They make mistakes and they adjust as they have this season with rotations.

This is a message board and it's for speculation and opinion. If not for that, it'd be an echo chamber of the same thing over and over.

Well, your hatred of anything Fran is quite clear and you have been calling for Fran to be fired all season long so I think we should take your comments with a grain of salt as well.

Did you even read the article? The players have bought in and are happy. And you know why? Because things are clicking and they are winning.

And maybe their dad, @PHawkKenyon , can add to the discussion and tell you whether he is pleased or displeased in how Fran has brought his 2 sons along over last season and this season. He's too nice but quietly he probably is thinking where you can put your grain of salt.
Kenyon and Kris are not going to come out and say anything of the sort. They are both too level headed. If they had anything to say, they would go to Coach and talk. They are not coming to HR to air their displeasure, if they have any.

Last edited:
He has only had only 4 games with over 25 minutes; he has not had that much foul trouble. So let’s not kid ourselves into thinking he gets starter minutes. The lack of more playing time is one of the most perplexing things I have ever seen in Iowa basketball. What’s the possible rationale; the other players are better? Please. We don’t get players like this very often and it would sure be nice if we could take full advantage of them when we have them.
Kris is tied with Rebraca for averaging the most fouls per game of any of the top 10 players. He is doing that in almost 4 less mpg.

He's averaging 5.2 fouls per 40 minutes. That's more than anyone on the team other than Ogundele or Mulvey.

He has had foul trouble. McC is trying to coach him to play without the silly fouls (he's made several). Let's hope he learns by the end of the season!

• Haha
Reactions: MikeyHawk
Iowa is finishing up the most favorable stretch of their Big Ten schedule. Slow down folks. The win - loss numbers were predictable.
You mean like how the first half was harder and everyone freaked out about the losses? But that’s fine, right? Everything is cool as long as the team, and especially Fran, doesn’t get any credit.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Kris is tied with Rebraca for averaging the most fouls per game of any of the top 10 players. He is doing that in almost 4 less mpg.

He's averaging 5.2 fouls per 40 minutes. That's more than anyone on the team other than Ogundele or Mulvey.

He has had foul trouble. McC is trying to coach him to play without the silly fouls (he's made several). Let's hope he learns by the end of the season!
Kris certainly does commit some silly fouls. Usually being overly aggressive on a switch after a screen or on a rebound where he doesn't have position.

That said, I don't think he's going to learn not to commit those fouls by sitting on the bench. You play him and if he gets 2 early fouls, sit him. If he gets to 3, sit him. But just sitting him for fouls that he might commit at some point doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT