ADVERTISEMENT

Leistikow: "It's time to Quiet the 'Kris should be starting' takes."

Journalists and coaches say always stick up for each other(except Howard and Gard). Every article written by a colleague is "great" if you follow any of them on Twitter. And Izzo thought Lick should get more time for example so people should hold off on the "Izzo said this...".

it does however give you the highest likelihood of playing them the most minutes.

It would be fun to have some type of "rotation builder" that people on the message boards could use to show their rotations perhaps. I think most of us agree on the fact that Kris should be getting 20-25 mpg given the advanced stats show he's our 2nd best player. Its just a matter of timing.

If Keegan gets 30 mpg, then there are 10 minutes that he is not on the floor. As long as Kris is on the floor during those 10 minutes, then we are fine I think. Additionally, he should also be in the game whenever Rebraca is not in the game, and with Rebraca only playing 20 mpg that's another 20 minutes to cover (some of this overlaps with Keegan's bench time, some not). To cover those gaps, it's almost a given that he has to come off the bench, otherwise you have to play your young centers a lot more than you would want.

You mean like how the first half was harder and everyone freaked out about the losses? But that’s fine, right? Everything is cool as long as the team, and especially Fran, doesn’t get any credit.
Gee, thanks for misrepresenting me. It does appear that they are jelling right now. Sure helps that JBo is connecting and even Conner has hit some crucial shots.

So we should take the word of someone who signed onto this board last fall and is consistently negative regarding everything concerned with the coaching staff and players, over Kris himself? In your own teenage lingo, LMAO!
No you should common sense, though you clearly have none....

I've said plenty positive things you just clearly ignore them because I'm not afraid to mention issues. Oh well

Kris is tied with Rebraca for averaging the most fouls per game of any of the top 10 players. He is doing that in almost 4 less mpg.

He's averaging 5.2 fouls per 40 minutes. That's more than anyone on the team other than Ogundele or Mulvey.

He has had foul trouble. McC is trying to coach him to play without the silly fouls (he's made several). Let's hope he learns by the end of the season!
Well they lead the team in fouls partially because Fran has zero legit b1g big on the team, so frans part of that problem.

I will agree though that Kris does make some foolish could. I also think he has about the worst damn luck in the team with the refs.

He also tries harder on defense than some, certainly not all(for the word twisters here).

All we can go by is from what Kris said. And from what he said, he seems satisfied with his role, the team chemistry, and most importantly, winning.

Kris said he enjoys the low-pressure role of coming off the bench.

And when it came to being the 6th man, he also said this:

“I like it, just because it helps us keep the same intensity as the first group. And there’s no let-up at all from the first group to the second group.”
If Kris made this statement without being asked if he likes coming off the bench, it would be more telling. If you honestly think that Kris would respond by stating that Fran is making a mistake by not starting him (if that is how he truly feels), you’re pretty dense.

Kenyon and Kris are not going to come out and say anything of the sort. They are both too level headed. If they had anything to say, they would go to Coach and talk. They are not coming to HR to air their displeasure, if they have any.
It's sad people are too slow to realize things like these.
And watching the news, it's clear the idiots aren't just here :(

It would be fun to have some type of "rotation builder" that people on the message boards could use to show their rotations perhaps. I think most of us agree on the fact that Kris should be getting 20-25 mpg given the advanced stats show he's our 2nd best player. Its just a matter of timing.

If Keegan gets 30 mpg, then there are 10 minutes that he is not on the floor. As long as Kris is on the floor during those 10 minutes, then we are fine I think. Additionally, he should also be in the game whenever Rebraca is not in the game, and with Rebraca only playing 20 mpg that's another 20 minutes to cover (some of this overlaps with Keegan's bench time, some not). To cover those gaps, it's almost a given that he has to come off the bench, otherwise you have to play your young centers a lot more than you would want.
I would have Kris starting in Rebraca's spot against teams that don't have a behemoth of a center. I think Rebraca is slightly better guarding pure post centers.

I don't think Kris' playing time is dependent on just those two players. He's our 2nd best player so you just reduce everyone else's minutes other than Keegan to increase Kris minutes. He can play the 2-5 position.

Reactions: littlez
If Kris made this statement without being asked if he likes coming off the bench, it would be more telling. If you honestly think that Kris would respond by stating that Fran is making a mistake by not starting him (if that is how he truly feels), you’re pretty dense.

Not once did I suggest that Kris would/should respond that he should be a starter. How dense are you?

AGAIN, we only know what Kris feels based on what he has stated. You're pretty dense for trying to read more into Kris' answers than what is actually there.

Seriously, this is not that hard. Why are you so dense?

Not once did I suggest that Kris would/should respond that he should be a starter. How dense are you?

AGAIN, we only know what Kris feels based on what he has stated. You're pretty dense for trying to read more into Kris' answers than what is actually there.

You don't KNOW anything based on a bs interview with typical bs answers.

It's not hard to figure out

You aren't going to convince me that Kris Murray would prefer to be a substitute rather than a starter.
Apparently, Matt Painter doesn’t know what he is doing either when he doesn’t start Trevion Williams(All Big Ten last year)!

Reactions: ZumaHawk

Is it really that difficult for you to understand? you are claiming it is not that hard, yet you miss the entire point

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Kris gets higher points per minute than PMac because he is playing more minutes with Keegan on the bench than PMac is, and thus his opportunities to score are much higher.

That being said, all the advanced metrics indicate that Kris is playing better than PMac overall.

I support Kris coming off the bench, however, as our rotations are MUCH better doing it this way than if he started. I do think his overall minutes could go up, but in terms of just starting I think the debate is kind of dumb. The team is better with him coming off the bench......just get him 3-5 more minutes per game though :)
Pmac should have EASIER opportunities with teams putting their focus on jbo and Keegan....???

dense would be thinking that people competitive enough to play d1 sports want to come off the bench. There may be a couple but they're as rare as a unicorn.

apparently, Matt Painter doesn’t know what he is doing either when he doesn’t start Trevion Williams(All Big Ten last year)!
Williams plays more than edey and edey is still getting 15ppg 7rpg in under 20mins.
He also leads conf in fg%
Pretty poor comparison imo

The better this team does the more exposure Kris gets, as well as someone closely related to him, so I’d be willing to bet that the father of both of those guys is happier now than a few weeks ago.

Kris Has been just as important as Keegan or anyone else to the teams recent success, because he’s been the leader when Keegan isn’t on the floor. And it seems to me that Kris is playing more aggressive defense than anyone else on the team, so he’s earning his increased minutes and expanded role.

dense would be thinking that people competitive enough to play d1 sports want to come off the bench. There may be a couple but they're as rare as a unicorn.
It's circular reasoning to believe any coach or player is going to be completely forthcoming to the media with how they actually feel. Does Kris see the advantages of coming off the bench? Quite possibly. I'm sure he's going to have a positive attitude regardless. But, yeah, deep down, if you're any sort of competitor, of course you think you should start and garner more minutes. That doesn't mean you don't value your role or try to fit in to the team concept, but no competitive person is completely okay with coming off the bench. No way.

It's circular reasoning to believe any coach or player is going to be completely forthcoming to the media with how they actually feel. Does Kris see the advantages of coming off the bench? Quite possibly. I'm sure he's going to have a positive attitude regardless. But, yeah, deep down, if you're any sort of competitor, of course you think you should start and garner more minutes. That doesn't mean you don't value your role or try to fit in to the team concept, but no competitive person is completely okay with coming off the bench. No way.
The worst part about the op is the mention of Kris enjoys the "low pressure spot" imo. That's kind of a slap in the face to any player, especially with NBA hopes!

He has only had only 4 games with over 25 minutes; he has not had that much foul trouble. So let’s not kid ourselves into thinking he gets starter minutes. The lack of more playing time is one of the most perplexing things I have ever seen in Iowa basketball. What’s the possible rationale; the other players are better? Please. We don’t get players like this very often and it would sure be nice if we could take full advantage of them when we have them.
How many minutes has Rebraca had every game? Isn't that where he gets most of his minutes? It seems to be he plays as much as he does. We have 6 guard/wings Fran is playing so Kris, probably a wing, is playing inside. JBo, Perkins, Joe T, Ulis, PMac, and Sandfort all play the wing.

Kris is too smart to say publicly that he should be starting over the coaches kid but I would bet a lot of money that he feels he deserves more than the 17.9 mins he averages. Patrick is a decent player but his conditioning and strength just aren't there and his shot selection is an absolute joke with all his out of control floaters. Right now Kris is a much better all around player AINEC defensively. I'm glad to hear him saying he's content though, those Murray boys are class acts and ideal teammates it seems

Franisdaman and BNG both suck ass, btw

exactly, he couldn't puke out one article during the football season without mentioning race
I'm pretty indifferent on Leistikow but that's not anywhere near the realm of truthful. But carry on being a fragile drama queen if you must

Reactions: Franisdaman
I think Kris is a better player than PMac. Thats all I can say. If they both reach their potential Kris is still way better.

I like having at least 2 (hopefully 3) guys who are legit scorers on the court at all times. It just seems to be a lot easier to do this with Kris coming off the bench.

And I know this will fall on deaf ears, but it is tiresome and even embarrassing that these threads continue to degenerate into stupid pissing matches.

I like having at least 2 (hopefully 3) guys who are legit scorers on the court at all times. It just seems to be a lot easier to do this with Kris coming off the bench.

And I know this will fall on deaf ears, but it is tiresome and even embarrassing that these threads continue to degenerate into stupid pissing matches.
Are you saying pmac isn't a scorer and is in for his defense?

How many minutes has Rebraca had every game? Isn't that where he gets most of his minutes? It seems to be he plays as much as he does. We have 6 guard/wings Fran is playing so Kris, probably a wing, is playing inside. JBo, Perkins, Joe T, Ulis, PMac, and Sandfort all play the wing.
I think most agree that Kris can play effectively inside and the wing. So take your list and add CMac and from that group find at least 8 more minutes for Kris per game, unless you think they are better than him. I think that would make them a better team.

Reactions: longliveCS40
I guess nit picking minutes is all that’s left when a team has won 5/6, all the wins by DD, with 3 wins by 20+ points.

For me it’s a game by game thing. Ke Murray will always be around 30. The rest ebb and flow based on matchups and game flow.

It feels like Fran has settled into a nice rotation. The players have responded positively. And that really quirky, shake your head kind of line ups have pretty much disappeared.

Sometimes you get the vibe from players when they’re unhappy with minutes or their role. If that’s the case, I haven’t seen one bit of evidence that’s the case this year.

All the players seem engaged and really playing together as a team. I wouldn’t say that they have defined roles but they know what skills they bring to the table.

I can believe that Kris likes minutes with the second team where he’s going to be the primary focus for the offense rather than deferring to Keegan. If he’s on the floor at crunch time he’s probably okay with that. He’s no doubt wanting more minutes, but I can believe he’s content to come off the bench.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I think "any sort of competitor" wants to WIN more than start. Kris's explanation of the benefits to the team's success indicate he feels his coming off the bench helps the team win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT