ADVERTISEMENT

Leistikow: "It's time to Quiet the 'Kris should be starting' takes."

I guess nit picking minutes is all that’s left when a team has won 5/6, all the wins by DD, with 3 wins by 20+ points.

For me it’s a game by game thing. Ke Murray will always be around 30. The rest ebb and flow based on matchups and game flow.

It feels like Fran has settled into a nice rotation. The players have responded positively. And that really quirky, shake your head kind of line ups have pretty much disappeared.

Sometimes you get the vibe from players when they’re unhappy with minutes or their role. If that’s the case, I haven’t seen one bit of evidence that’s the case this year.

All the players seem engaged and really playing together as a team. I wouldn’t say that they have defined roles but they know what skills they bring to the table.
Why is everyone so mad that we are having a discussion about who should start and get minutes? Yes we are winning. Yes it's great. That doesn't mean we can't discuss what we think will make the team even better.

I'd say it's often the case all players are happy when the team is winning. When they lose you start to see true feelings sometimes. I'm quite sure Kris would trade his minutes for wins. The Murray boys are unselfish team players. But, I don't think Kris playing less gives us a better chance at wins. Quite the opposite.

We are going to close out the Big Ten regular season with a couple tough games and then hopefully play several tough games in the Big Ten tourney and NCAAs. These next couple games would be a fine time to experiment with throwing more minutes to Kris in my opinion.

If you're going to win against the best teams, your chances are going to be better if you can keep your best players on the floor as many minutes as possible. Wisconsin is not any better than us, but their top reserve plays 12 minutes a game. Their 2 stars get 34.5 minutes a game. We are a deeper team for sure, but we should have no problem getting Kris 25 to 30 minutes a game.

I'm pretty indifferent on Leistikow but that's not anywhere near the realm of truthful. But carry on being a fragile drama queen if you must
so you are saying he NEVER ONCE mentioned it and never once mentioned Fentanyl Floyd being black in what should have been a sports article?

so you are saying he NEVER ONCE mentioned it and never once mentioned Fentanyl Floyd being black in what should have been a sports article?
You may want to review your post

‘exactly, he couldn't puke out one article during the football season without mentioning race’

that would mean you said he did it in every article. Not ‘never once’.

You may want to review your post

‘exactly, he couldn't puke out one article during the football season without mentioning race’

that would mean you said he did it in every article. Not ‘never once’.
this generation fails to understand sarcasm I see

this generation fails to understand sarcasm I see
Wow, you look really smart using couldn’t puke out one then going with NEVER ONCE when called on your fabrication.

That is probably a far better use of sarcasm than what you attempted. You may want to brush up on what sarcasm is as well.

Wow, you look really smart using couldn’t puke out one then going with NEVER ONCE when called on your fabrication.

That is probably a far better use of sarcasm than what you attempted. You may want to brush up on what sarcasm is as well.
I see the soy boy is triggered

Apparently, Matt Painter doesn’t know what he is doing either when he doesn’t start Trevion Williams(All Big Ten last year)!

I guess this is why

ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM
Andre Curbelo, Illinois
Keegan Murray, Iowa
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
Zach Edey, Purdue
Jaden Ivey, Purdue

Reactions: unclesammy
D Blade said:
Apparently, Matt Painter doesn’t know what he is doing either when he doesn’t start Trevion Williams(All Big Ten last year)!

I guess this is why
ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM
Andre Curbelo, Illinois
Keegan Murray, Iowa
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
Zach Edey, Purdue
Jaden Ivey, Purdue
Are you saying that being on the ALL-FRESHMAN team is better than being ALL BIG 10?

What really makes my head hurt is that people keep talking about Patrick vs Kris.

Kris plays the fvcking 5 spot people.

Patrick plays the 3 as well as Connor, and Sandfort.

Its Rebraca vs Kris. You can't play Kris at the 3 unless Josh backs up the 5 for 15 minutes a game and thats not happening.

Iowas best most effective lineup is Keegan and Kris at the 4 and 5.

Last edited:
D Blade said:

Are you saying that being on the ALL-FRESHMAN team is better than being ALL BIG 10?
I'm not sure what point is trying to be made by who here but Zach Edey has the highest PER in all of college basketball ahead of you know who. I'm guessing he knows what he's doing by starting Edey ahead of Williams. They both play the same minutes anyway.

I'm not sure what point is trying to be made by who here but Zach Edey has the highest PER in all of college basketball ahead of you know who. I'm guessing he knows what he's doing by starting Edey ahead of Williams. They both play the same minutes anyway.

That's a relevant point. That he was all-freshmen wasn't.

I guess the NBA scouts agreed that Kris probably should have been starting and playing more mins too, it's not like they are experts or anything. Such an all around better player than second born, it was nice of Keegan to move on to the NBA to open up a spot for Kris. I'm shocked OP hasn't pulled this one from the archives too😂

Kris definitely could have started on last years team.. his take on coming off the bench and the second unit being able to keep a great deal of pressure on the other team is what a good team mate says that isn’t starting and has accepted his current role.. it was the right thing to say and mature..

One thing is for sure, kris has to stop the fouls or it won't matter if he starts or not.

If not we will be hearing about Frans foul strategy in every other post on here!

Reactions: BBHawk
Kris definitely could have started on last years team.. his take on coming off the bench and the second unit being able to keep a great deal of pressure on the other team is what a good team mate says that isn’t starting and has accepted his current role.. it was the right thing to say and mature..
Starting, not starting isn't all that important. It's always about minutes and who is getting the most minutes. Your best players should play more. Period.

Fran takes a lot of heat on rotations (most every coach does). If it's me, I'm finding a way to play Kr. Murray more, I don't really care about position. He's one of the best 5 players on the team.

I will say Fran made tough decisions about starting Perkins (and playing him more), and putting Joe T on the bench. It was absolutely the right move and kudos to Fran for seeing it. There wasn't a lot about Perkins' play prior to Fran doing that to indicate he should start. But it improved the team in two areas, put the ball in Bohannon's hands to make him more effective and allowed Perkins to blossom as a scoring, physical guard.

I will say Fran made tough decisions about starting Perkins (and playing him more), and putting Joe T on the bench. It was absolutely the right move and kudos to Fran for seeing it. There wasn't a lot about Perkins' play prior to Fran doing that to indicate he should start. But it improved the team in two areas, put the ball in Bohannon's hands to make him more effective and allowed Perkins to blossom as a scoring, physical guard.

I hope you're right about this. It certainly resulted in the departure of Joe T. Remains to be seen as to whether it resulted in Perkins taking a big step as a scoring guard, in my opinion.

One thing is for sure, kris has to stop the fouls or it won't matter if he starts or not.

If not we will be hearing about Frans foul strategy in every other post on here!
In the 2022 season, Kr. Murray averaged 5.5 fouls per 40 minutes. In 2020-21, Keeg. Murray averaged 4.3 fouls per 40 minutes. Keegan's fouls per 40 dropped to 2.4 in 2021-22. He definitely got better about not challenging everything and once he became great he definitely got calls from Big 10 refs. I would guess Kris Murray will see a similar arc on the fouls. Less challenging/reaching, and more respect from refs if he is a really good player.

I hope you're right about this. It certainly resulted in the departure of Joe T. Remains to be seen as to whether it resulted in Perkins taking a big step as a scoring guard, in my opinion.
Agree that that jury is still out on Perkins. In his last 9 games, he averaged 11.4 points, made 30-57 2 pointers, 9-19 3-pointers, 38 rebounds, 10 steals, 25 assists. Toussaint has never had a 9-game stretch approaching that level of consistency with 3 years on the Iowa roster.

I wish Joe T nothing but the best at W Virginia. He had ample shot to take the reins at Iowa but the inability to shoot and high turnover rate made him impossible to play heavy minutes. There's a reason Iowa won down the stretch. Bohannon's 8.7 turnover rate, and Perkins 14% TOV compared to Toussaint's 23.8 meant Iowa was giving away fewer possessions. And with their efficient offense, that is good.

Joe T was making progress...fewer turnovers and hitting some shots..BUT in this lay person's view the offense just did not flow with him as the PG. I don't claim any expertise, I don't know what evidence to cite to support that assertion, it just is what it looked like to me as someone who is not that knowledgeable about how a PG running Fran's offense should look. When JBO was in the game the offense generally looked better.

That said, I wish Joe T had stayed...and wish him the best. He seemed like a great kid and a great teammate.

Last edited:
Joe T was making progress...fewer turnovers and hitting some shots..BUT in this lay person's view the offense just did not flow with him as the PG. I don't claim any expertise, I don't know what evidence to cite to support that assertion, it just is what it looked like to me as someone who is not that knowledgeable about how a PG running Fran's offense should look, that when JBO was in the game the offense generally looked better.

That said, I wish Joe T had stayed...and wish him the best. He seemed like a great kid and a great teammate.

Spacing....

Teams began to pack the lane to take away Keegan's quick hits in post. That also clogs up lanes for cutters. Once the ball was back in J-Bo's hands at PG teams had to pick him up at 30 feet which opens the passing/driving lanes.

I loved Joe Toussaint, he was a warrior and he will be greatly missed. Not sure we win the BTT w/o his contributions on defense that weekend.

People will always complain about who should start and how many minutes everyone should play. When Fran moved JBo back to starting PG and Tony to the starting shooting guard there was a lot of complaining on here. But that move had a huge impact. Iowa was 12-2 over it's last 14 games heading into the NCAA Tournament so I think it's pretty clear Fran was pushing the right buttons heading into the NCAA Tournament.

8-2 -- last 10 games of the Regular Season
4-0 -- in the B1G Tournament, resulting in a B1G Tournament Championship

And Iowa would not have not been in the Richmond game if not for PMac. PMac was 4-7 from 3 and was the 2nd leading scorer in that game (18 points). The rest of the team was 2-22 (9%) from 3. Kris and Keegan were a combined 0-8 from 3.

2 Pt..3 Pt..Total
FG.....FG....FG....FTs...Pts...Reb...TO's...Min
8-12...0-3....8-15...5-5......21.......9........2.....38.....Keegan
3-10...4-7....7-17....0-0.....18......2........0......25.....PMac
1-1......0-5.....1-6.....1-2.......3.......5........0......16......Kris
0-1.....2-7.....2-8....0-0......6.......2.........1......33.....JBo
2-3.....0-2.....2-5....2-3.......6.......1.........3......19......Tony
2-5....0-0.....2-5.....1-2.......5......9.........0......25.....Filip
1-2.....0-3.....1-5.....0-0......2......3.........0........8.....Payton
1-3....0-0.....1-3.....0-0......2.......1..........1.......13.....JoeT
0-0...0-2....0-2.....0-0......0......3.........2......23......Connor

Last edited:
People will always complain about who should start and how many minutes everyone should play. When Fran moved JBo back to starting PG and Tony to the starting shooting guard there was a lot of complaining on here. But that move had a huge impact. Iowa was 12-2 over it's last 14 games heading into the NCAA Tournament so I think it's pretty clear Fran was pushing the right buttons heading into the NCAA Tournament.

8-2 -- last 10 games of the Regular Season
4-0 -- in the B1G Tournament, resulting in a B1G Tournament Championship

And Iowa would not have not been in the Richmond game if not for PMac. PMac was 4-7 from 3 and was the 2nd leading scorer in that game (18 points). The rest of the team was 2-22 (9%) from 3. Kris and Keegan were a combined 0-8 from 3.

2 Pt..3 Pt..Total
FG.....FG....FG....FTs...Pts...Reb...TO's...Min
8-12...0-3....8-15...5-5......21.......9........2.....38.....Keegan
3-10...4-7....7-17....0-0.....18......2........0......25.....PMac
1-1......0-5.....1-6.....1-2.......3.......5........0......16......Kris
0-1.....2-7.....2-8....0-0......6.......2.........1......33.....JBo
2-3.....0-2.....2-5....2-3.......6.......1.........3......19......Tony
2-5....0-0.....2-5.....1-2.......5......9.........0......25.....Filip
1-2.....0-3.....1-5.....0-0......2......3.........0........8.....Payton
1-3....0-0.....1-3.....0-0......2.......1..........1.......13.....JoeT
0-0...0-2....0-2.....0-0......0......3.........2......23......Connor
That’s some great stuff!

I think we will find out if the offensive success had more to do with JBo at the point or Perkins getting minutes instead of Joe T.

The offensive numbers bear out that the lineup down the stretch worked better on offense but was it due to Perkins or due to JBo at the point?

The other thing that always gets lost in this discussion is the other end of the floor. Joe T was our best perimeter defender by a good margin.

Reactions: littlez
I think we will find out if the offensive success had more to do with JBo at the point or Perkins getting minutes instead of Joe T.

The offensive numbers bear out that the lineup down the stretch worked better on offense but was it due to Perkins or due to JBo at the point?

The other thing that always gets lost in this discussion is the other end of the floor. Joe T was our best perimeter defender by a good margin.
Joe T might have been....though Tony P seemed pretty good as well. That said JBO will no longer be defending, and I think the guys likely to take his place could/should be quite a bit better defenders just based on size and athleticism. Overall I think a pretty good upgrade on the defensive end of the floor....does that mitigate the loss of Joe T on that end?

I would add that I think JBO actually turned up the defensive effort and was better on that end of the floor his final year. He was a great Hawk.

Our backcourt should be PG: 6' 2/3" and 2G 6' 4/5" and fairly athletic.....that should help in defending the 3 and hopefully limiting penetration.

Joe T might have been....though Tony P seemed pretty good as well. That said JBO will no longer be defending, and I think the guys likely to take his place could/should be quite a bit better defenders just based on size and athleticism. Overall I think a pretty good upgrade on the defensive end of the floor....does that mitigate the loss of Joe T on that end?

I would add that I think JBO actually turned up the defensive effort and was better on that end of the floor his final year. He was a great Hawk.

Our backcourt should be PG: 6' 2/3" and 2G 6' 4/5" and fairly athletic.....that should help in defending the 3 and hopefully limiting penetration.
I don't disagree with any of that. I just wish we still had Joe T. That would allow the incoming freshman some playing time but not necessitate them being vital. Freshman guards often struggle a bit in the Big Ten.

At least we will still have CMac to come in if turnovers become a big problem. He's not going to score but he is dependable and will steady the ship.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this year's team pans out. There's a lot of talent/athleticism and two potential superstars in Kris and PMac.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT