ADVERTISEMENT

Lester presser

Lester; “Alright boys, how about a deep shot here?”

Kirk, Budmayr, Hodge, Phil, everyone with a headset: “NO.”

Kirk; “Holy shit, Tim, OK? We’re up three scores, we don’t need to be stupid, OK?”

• Haha
Reactions: cm8124
When you are up 17, why show anything that late? Other than to rub Peej's face in it. #2 was running wild and eating clock.
Plus, everyone knows Kirk is reluctant to run up a score and really embarrass the opposing coach/team even if he dislikes the coach.
That's his nature. Play to win but not curb stomp.

lester does make it sound like he has all the answers and i like that but the fact is we/he lost to isu. also imo it was unnecessary to expose he had long plays ready that were not green lighted. given the dominant win against mn shows the decision was solid and even more so in light of the manner in which we achieved the isu loss

Last edited:
Reactions: acuhawk
If true, going deep was unnecessary against the Gophers, and probably more valuable to save for the Buckeyes...
Trying a play for the first time against one of the best defenses in the country does not sound like a recipe for success to me.

But need to make a few attempts anyway. On first down though; third down and long, the OSU four rushers (or 5) will get to Cade before those long routes have time to develop.

I don't mind a head coach having veto power but my question is it seems pretty ****ing obvious this team would benefit greatly from opening up even just a tiny bit so why in the hell is he vetoing a deep shot? I do not understand what the hell he's so scared of
That's always been my thing with Kirk. He'd rather shit his pants on 3rd and 5 and punt instead of a 40/50 yard pass that may be intercepted. Newsflash Kirk they both end in the same result field position wise.

This is Cade's 6th year in college.

And his footwork is still an issue.

The full text of the tweet:

Tim Lester on Cade McNamara's performance so far:

"This is going to go against the popular opinion, but I thought last game was one of his best games."

Adds that he had a good throwaway on a bad ball. Had a couple drops in there.

He says that his footwork was a LOT better last week.

He had Brian Ferentz as a QB coach... probably a lot to correct.

Reactions: your_master5
Has anyone here ever coached anything above youth sports? If so, did you ever have an idea and then asked coaches or the coached what they thought about the idea? Seriously, nobody knows what was said to whom and by whom. Now we are all the way to Lester is leaving at the end of the season, in a matter of hours.

One ill-timed pick 6, thrown by a QB with a weak arm, could have gotten the Gophers back into the game. It happened just two weeks ago. We were piss pounding the Goophers in the second half. While the rules still attribute sacks as lost rushing yardage Iowa pounded out 300+ in positive gains. If it ain't broke, don't break it. The response to Lester's statement is more hysterical than a 3 year old discovering big dogs bark loud.

Last edited:
I like the guy. We haven't played a full game yet,which is understandable, but I see enough improvement this year to wish he had been the OC here the last 3-4 years. When Iowa has gotten going on O this year, they're pretty damn good and look formidable.

I really wanted Ludwig but this guy is doing his thing and I could see this turning into something really good the next few years.

Last edited:
Is it me or did Phil seem on edge today? He came out of the gate swinging and then seemed a little pissed with some of the questions.

He didn't seem to suggest they need to play better - instead he seemed to think they were playing better than they did last year.

Reactions: thunderstruck1
Everybody keeps bemoaning the fact Iowa doesn't take any deep shots down the field, rightfully so, but what exactly is everyone's definition of a "deep shot"? Especially KF's??

To me, a deep shot is 30 to 35+ yards. After watching Cade McNamara so far this season, I don't want him attempting a few deep shots, let alone a bunch of them.

He's not super accurate and his arm strength seems quite less than ideal for such throws.

And before you start yelling "Then play Sullivan!!! (for more than just handing off or keepers)", we all know KF won't - unless he has no other choice - so that's a non-starter of an argument or possible solution to the above problem.

Everybody keeps bemoaning the fact Iowa doesn't take any deep shots down the field, rightfully so, but what exactly is everyone's definition of a "deep shot"? Especially KF's??

To me, a deep shot is 30 to 35+ yards. After watching Cade McNamara so far this season, I don't want him attempting a few deep shots, let alone a bunch of them.

He's not very accurate and his arm strength seems quite less than ideal for such throws.

And before you start yelling "Then play Sullivan!!!", we all know KF won't, so that's a non-starter of an argument or possible solution to the above problem.

You have to keep the defense honest. If Cade can't overthrow a receiver, he shouldn't be playing.

I remember one fight on here, a few years ago. One poster jumped an older guy's ass for liking an old-fashioned steakhouse with padded leather chairs (comfortable) and cigars. Anyway the other guy ended up saying he'd rather just buy a steak at HyVee and cook it better than an upscale steak house. So I said "you think you can cook a steak better than people who spend their entire lives perfecting the art of cooking the perfect steak for every kind of order?"

Every game, even checkers, has elements has complexities and nuance. The coaches spend their entire lives trying to be better coaches. They see the players in practice. They understand the complexities and nuance, like which foot goes where on a passing route. Everybody has an opinion, hence the 20 million websites to voice opinions. No one should be kidding themselves into thinking they know more about the Iowa football team than the coaches.
This is an appeal to authority fallacy.

Kirk certainly knows more about this team and its personnel than anyone on this board, that's not really in dispute, but it doesn't make him infallible.

You're trying to set up the idea that Kirk and the coaches are unquestionable or unchallengeable.

This is Cade's 6th year in college.

And his footwork is still an issue.

The full text of the tweet:

Tim Lester on Cade McNamara's performance so far:

"This is going to go against the popular opinion, but I thought last game was one of his best games."

Adds that he had a good throwaway on a bad ball. Had a couple drops in there.

He says that his footwork was a LOT better last week.

Pros work on footwork every single day

Reactions: obfuscating
Another interesting point was his talk about running against a stacked box.
Said that the box will almost always be stacked because of how Iowa's offense aligns.

Just more info to shoot down the nauseating "stacked box" narrative.

It doesn't matter people. Lester just told you they align in a way that literally invites the D to stack the box. There's a reason the offense does not care about stacked boxes. Put it to rest

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
That's always been my thing with Kirk. He'd rather shit his pants on 3rd and 5 and punt instead of a 40/50 yard pass that may be intercepted. Newsflash Kirk they both end in the same result field position wise.
Exactly! Why doesn't anyone else see this? I never hear anyone else mention it and I've been saying it for years
All sorts of things that can go wrong. Bad shotgun snap, sack, strip sack, return yardage after the INT, etc

Reactions: thunderstruck1
All of those can happen with a short pass as well
Butters implied that Iowa would rather run the ball than attempt the deep pass.

But since you brought it up, a sack or strip sack is much more likely when dialing up a deep ball than it is on a short pass

This is an appeal to authority fallacy.

Kirk certainly knows more about this team and its personnel than anyone on this board, that's not really in dispute, but it doesn't make him infallible.

You're trying to set up the idea that Kirk and the coaches are unquestionable or unchallengeable.
Easy big boy. Are doing blow tonight? Paranoids chasing you around?

Two simple points: Everyone here can have an opinion and free to voice it. The other, when criticizing Kirk Ferents bear in mind it is after the fact and not before we see the results of the play and knows more about the cause of a mistake

Exactly! Why doesn't anyone else see this? I never hear anyone else mention it and I've been saying it for years
It isn't the same if you drop back and wait 3 seconds to get a man downfield and get sacked.

You act like the outcome is binary.

The other point I have…this throw downfield stuff. Lester answered that. The point many seem to be
making is that this keeps people from stacking the box. Sure. But stacking just create a numbers advantages. It doesn't magically create some other benefit. He suggested he solves that by placing more of our guys in the box to match theirs rather than a secondary concept of throwing downfield to remove their guys from the box. Seems to work. I mean we seem to be running the ball well. Which is really the goal. Not burning downs by chucking it downfield just to open it up so we can run it. We already are with the scheme TL is running.

Some of you on here think you know football just because you can type it.

The offensive solution to defensive schemes isn't just throwing it long, playing KB or sitting CM like most if you seem to think. The solution was to have an OC that knows football which BF didn't and TL seems to.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
He said (regarding deep plays) "I had a couple of them ready for later in the game and wanted to run them but got voted down" . So is KF voting him down? The OC should have full autonomy to call the f'ing plays.

Presser
Listening is a skill. He explained that they were calling plays by committee and that he was over ruled. Generally, a committee is more than one other person, so cut the KF crap. Just because you phrased it as a question,, don't come back saying it was just a question. Your following sentence makes it clear that it was a statement disguised as a question. Context is the key as we all learned in grade school.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT