ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk John Wayne

The Quiet Man is still one of my favorite movies, The Searchers is still a top 5 western, McLintock is still entertaining as hell. Still enjoy watching many of his movies.

And...

The dude is one of the biggest POS Hollywood has ever produced.
Roman Polanski says hi....Harvey Weinstein.... probably dozens or hundreds of others in all reality

His best film in my opinion is was "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence." I always like films set against the transitioning of the Old West into the modern era and this may have been the first one I saw.

I still love the song 44 years later!

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas80
If you'd had a different actor you wouldn't have gotten the best scripts, best production staff, and the incredible supporting actors that Wayne drew into productions.
He wasn't the best actor in the world, but he made great movies for the most part.
There’s a reason Wayne became a big name. He dodged the draft in WWII when actors like Jimmy Stewart and Clark Gable were volunteering. Stewart guzzled beers after failing his physical for being underweight and refused service as a training pilot to became a bomber pilot flying 20 combat missions. Gable dodged service in a motion picture unit and served as an aerial gunner on five combat missions. Wayne was booed by soldiers when he went over with USO entertainers. They knew.

There’s a reason Wayne became a big name. He dodged the draft in WWII when actors like Jimmy Stewart and Clark Gable were volunteering. Stewart guzzled beers after failing his physical for being underweight and refused service as a training pilot to became a bomber pilot flying 20 combat missions. Gable dodged service in a motion picture unit and served as an aerial gunner on five combat missions. Wayne was booed by soldiers when he went over with USO entertainers. They knew.
All of this was covered in a Lucas80 book review of Mission, about Stewart.
Gable, incidentally, probably had a death wish. He went on way more than 5 missions. He made deals with other members of crews and went on missions in their place, it's why the Army sent him home. He was so despondent over the death of Carole Lombard he took unnecessary risks.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Good quote attributed to Ford when talking to Hawks after he saw Red River. He'd directed Wayne many times, and saw that Hawks got much more from him, "I didn't know the SOB could act", as he talked about Wayne.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT