ADVERTISEMENT

Listened to wuw with JD and JL again.

From the sounds of it, all of the coaches were also focused on those same statistics and it was no secret in the program that they were trying to fix it as early as 2017. They set up a diversity task force and KF was regularly meeting with the black players on the team about this. Lomax had some sort of advisory role.

Unfortunately I didn’t hear any concrete changes that came from those meetings, although I believe they said KF was considering letting up on the twitter ban as a result. I think that probably at least partly explains why James Daniels felt like he needed to go to Twitter with his complaints. The real painful changes weren’t going to happen (or were going to take many years) doing things that way. In comparison, look at how many changes have been implemented in just a few weeks doing things this way.

James Daniels refers to some stats about player retention. Did he get these numbers ahead of time from rob howe?
Grad rates are on the players. The academic help provided for these players is incredible. If a player doesn’t graduate, they need to look in the mirror. Skin color makes no difference. This “Victim Card” is getting ridiculous. Go to YouTube and search for Dr. Shelby Steele or Burgess Owens and listen. These black players that consider themselves victims should definitely listen. And yes, this is Burgess Owens the former NFL Star.

The other thing that amazed me that I heard on the WuW podcast was when Lomax said many of the black kids come from areas and teams where they had few if any white players. It’s like the reverse of small town Iowa where teams will maybe have one black player. Lomax talked about how he was fortunate because his parents sent him to a high school where the team was 50% white so he went through that culture shock when he was in 9th grade instead of other players when they get to Iowa City and have never had so many white teammates before. That blew my mind.

From the sounds of it, all of the coaches were also focused on those same statistics and it was no secret in the program that they were trying to fix it as early as 2017. They set up a diversity task force and KF was regularly meeting with the black players on the team about this. Lomax had some sort of advisory role.

Unfortunately I didn’t hear any concrete changes that came from those meetings, although I believe they said KF was considering letting up on the twitter ban as a result. I think that probably at least partly explains why James Daniels felt like he needed to go to Twitter with his complaints. The real painful changes weren’t going to happen (or were going to take many years) doing things that way. In comparison, look at how many changes have been implemented in just a few weeks doing things this way.
What’s interesting about the twitter ban is that the seniors that year were the ones that told KF to keep it in place.

I also thought the WuW comments on Doyle were interesting. Basically said that they had always been card carrying members of the Doyle fan club but looking back on it they can now see that there were times when he would cross the line. They didn’t give any specific examples, just sort of talked about how he would evidently somewhat routinely go after players and hold grudges and it was a lot easier to get in his dog house than get out. And everyone was fairly terrified of Doyle’s dog house because he would hound you.

They also said all along it was no secret that some players liked Doyle and some players really didn’t like Doyle. Which made me realize that in spite of the stupid amount of hours of my life that I waste on this site, there are a lot of things about the program that I’m fairly clueless about.

In general while listening to these comments I was thinking about how great coaches like Dan Gable talked about tailoring their coaching to what an individual athlete needs. Some athletes respond best to the hard ass approach, and I actually kind of like that coaching style myself, weird as it sounds. But clearly many other players don’t respond well to that type of coaching and evidently Doyle had zero finesse and was like a hammer that treated every player as a nail. It’s disappointing because it’s contrary to the image I had of him and how he was always into constantly trying to be a better person as well as a better player. Clearly in hindsight he could use a bit of refinement in his approach sometimes and I hope he finds that.

Unfortunately I didn’t hear any concrete changes that came from those meetings, although I believe they said KF was considering letting up on the twitter ban as a result

I can't speak to specific changes after the 2017 meetings, but it does seem like the program is retaining black players at a much higher rate since those meeings. I believe our strong core of young black coaches (Copeland, Woods, Bell, Foster) has a lot to do with that.

Player retention is the first step towards higher graduation rates.

Grad rates are on the players. The academic help provided for these players is incredible. If a player doesn’t graduate, they need to look in the mirror. Skin color makes no difference. This “Victim Card” is getting ridiculous. Go to YouTube and search for Dr. Shelby Steele or Burgess Owens and listen. These black players that consider themselves victims should definitely listen. And yes, this is Burgess Owens the former NFL Star.
We ain't come here to play school!!

;)

They might not have said it in this one can’t remember. But Ward has mentioned it several times prior because he was a captain that year.
Yeah, I don’t doubt it. I guess the counter argument is so many of the players that were upset had already left the program so they weren’t around to vote as seniors. I think the twitter thing was bound to change once players start getting paid for sponsored tweets so that policy was going to die soon no matter what.

James Daniels refers to some stats about player retention. Did he get these numbers ahead of time from rob howe?
Btw dmps says around 16% of black boys in high school get a "b" or better in algebra 1. Their "goal" is about 1/4 of them.
Sounds like Iowa is doing pretty good lmao.

Also what about schools like braska who don't care if they even go to class but still somehow keep moving on?

I can't speak to specific changes after the 2017 meetings, but it does seem like the program is retaining black players at a much higher rate since those meeings. I believe our strong core of young black coaches (Copeland, Woods, Bell, Foster) has a lot to do with that.

Player retention is the first step towards higher graduation rates.
Actually now that I’ve thought about it more I believe I heard something about making sure more black players get to be captain and get chosen to go to Chicago for media day, etc. So I think there were more concrete changes already implemented than I initially remembered. I thought the WuW comments on captains were interesting. Sort of implied that before these changes the captains had supposedly been decided by an anonymous vote of the players but the results sometimes made the players question if the coaches put their finger on the scale to get the results they wanted. I assume that has now been changed for the better.

Actually now that I’ve thought about it more I believe I heard something about making sure more black players get to be captain and get chosen to go to Chicago for media day, etc. So I think there were more concrete changes already implemented than I initially remembered. I thought the WuW comments on captains were interesting. Sort of implied that before these changes the captains had supposedly been decided by an anonymous vote of the players but the results sometimes made the players question if the coaches put their finger on the scale to get the results they wanted. I assume that has now been changed for the better.
So certain colored players need a guaranteed representative because either the coaches or others players are racist?

So certain colored players need a guaranteed representative because either the coaches or others players are racist?
My interpretation - and anyone else that listened can correct me if you think I heard it wrong - is that there were times when one of the captains would end up being some white kid that nobody had voted for but that the coaches must have liked because he fit their image of the Iowa try-hard football player. It wasn’t implied that he was chosen because he’s white, it just happens that most of our walkons that have to try to our-effort everyone tend to be white because of the demographics of the state.

Last edited:
Colored? Did you just get here from 1960? Jesus...
Don't get me started on that crap. White and brown are colors too!

2nd of all there is no damn difference between what I said and this stupid bullshit "person of color" crap that is "acceptable" to say!

Don't get me started on that crap. White and brown are colors too!

2nd of all there is no damn difference between what I said and this stupid bullshit "person of color" crap that is "acceptable" to say!

So it's cool you refer to all non Caucasian people as colored? It's literally a term that hasn't been used in at least 30 years, if not 40, and even then was derogatory.

You can't be serious, right?

Great point. Athletes have their own academic building, access to tudors, first choice of classes, recommendations of what to take, so much extra help if they are struggling and the list goes on. I know being an athlete there is a lot of time commitment but lot of regular students like myself and roommates worked jobs on top of a full class load as well without all the assistance. Also when they speak about time I know lot of people who have gone to Iowa we all had athletes whose attendance to class could sometimes be sparse and for 2 football players I had in one my class this was true but tell you what come dollar you call it night Thursday at sports column they never missed that....

End of the day if an athlete doesn’t graduate they need to look in the mirror and ask themselves why instead of point the finger at others.

So it's cool you refer to all non Caucasian people as colored? It's literally a term that hasn't been used in at least 30 years, if not 40, and even then was derogatory.

White is a color you moron! White people ARE colored you tool....

And say white not Caucasian

White is a color you moron! White people ARE colored you tool....

And say white not Caucasian

I mean if you want to be scientifically correct white isn't a color but I digress...

Do you really think there's nothing wrong, or at least no legitimate stigma, with referring to any minority as "colored"?

And no, saying a "person of color" is not the same or better because even by your own, misguided, definition that would mean every person. So why would saying "colored" or "person of color" be necessary if every person falls into that definition and therefore there's no need to distinguish between any certain "color"?

To be clear I laugh at people who say "people of color"...however it is perfectly acceptable these days. At least to the masses.
As I said white IS a color.

I mean if you want to be scientifically correct white isn't a color but I digress...

Do you really think there's nothing wrong, or at least no legitimate stigma, with referring to any minority as "colored"?

And no, saying a "person of color" is not the same or better because even by your own, misguided, definition that would mean every person. So why would saying "colored" or "person of color" be necessary if every person falls into that definition and therefore there's no need to distinguish between any certain "color"?
Dude why don't you go search "people of color" under Google news. You'll see CBS Fox news Washington Post etc using the term. I don't make the rules so don't bitch at me. all I said was black is a color. If you disagree so be it I'm done with this.....

I think you misread his post. He wasn’t calling black players “colored.” He was referring to the skin color of all the football players, and suggesting players of a certain color shouldn’t be guaranteed representation

Don’t agree at all with the take, given Iowa’s and Iowa City’s demographics in contrast with the demographics of the football team, but also don’t think the comment was racist or anything like that

Reactions: H4wkfan4life

Just curious if using skin color isn't ok....how do you classify a dark Hispanic like Jorge Soler? Other than American how would you classify him... Of course that's even if he classifies himself as American.

Dude why don't you go search "people of color" under Google news. You'll see CBS Fox news Washington Post etc using the term. I don't make the rules so don't bitch at me all I said was black is a color. If you disagree so be it I'm done with this.....

That was the whole point of my calling you out...

You are claiming anyone that isn't white is "colored", which not only is the whole problem but also has incredibly racist connotations historically that you are pretending not to know about. Trying to argue that white as a race is commonly included with "colored" is hilariously ignorant.

Just because society has used the terms colored and person of color doesn't make it right. By commonly referring to any non Caucasian as a person of color is inherently racist. Like, it's the very basic definition of racism. How stupid do you have to be to not realize that labeling any one not the same "color", as it it's a choice, as you as different isn't the simplest form of discrimination or racism?

I think you misread his post. He wasn’t calling black players “colored.” He was referring to the skin color of all the football players, and suggesting players of a certain color shouldn’t be guaranteed representation

Don’t agree at all with the take, given Iowa’s and Iowa City’s demographics in contrast with the demographics of the football team, but also don’t think the comment was racist or anything like that
Thanks. And bottom line nothing about the decision screams equality. Fake forced equality maybe but not true equality.

Just curious if using skin color isn't ok....how do you classify a dark Hispanic like Jorge Soler? Other than American how would you classify him... Of course that's even if he classifies himself as American.

By where he's from and not how he looks. He'sCHe's or Cuban American if he has citizenship, how do you identify him?

By where he's from and not how he looks. He'sCHe's or Cuban American if he has citizenship, how do you identify him?
We don't classify everyone by their original nationality get real. Is he Hispanic American (even though most just say Hispanic) or African American? how many people you call Kenyan American or Egyptian American

By his roots I'd say Hispanic but to say he isn't black is pretty ridiculous too.

My point was the term "colored" hasn't been used in 40 years and it's amazing that anyone would try to use it in any discussion legitimately.

Unless it was being used ironically, which he's proven wasn't the case, how can anyone think that's an appropriate term?

We don't classify everyone by their original nationality get real. Is he Hispanic or African American to you? how many people you call Kenyon American or Egyptian American

Neither Hispanic or African American have anything to do with skin color. Soler would be considered Hispanic by that definition, so where does the "colored" or "person of color" legitimacy come in?

They should really be looking at the statistics WITHOUT transfers as that is mostly about playing time. Curious to see that data cut with just guys who choose to stay at each school. I could not find overall transfer data by school.

We don't classify everyone by their original nationality get real. Is he Hispanic or African American to you? how many people you call Kenyon American or Egyptian American

And that's further to my point, classifying any individual based on anything but where they were born is inherently racist. If someone was born in the United States, what does it matter how they look or what color skin they have?

Just because current statistics ask those questions doesn't make it right.

Reactions: TouchdownMyPants
My point was the term "colored" hasn't been used in 40 years and it's amazing that anyone would try to use it in any discussion legitimately.

Unless it was being used ironically, which he's proven wasn't the case, how can anyone think that's an appropriate term?
What the hell are you talking about? Hell black lives matter talks about the color of ****ing skin dude. This is completely pointless bye.....

Neither Hispanic or African American have anything to do with skin color. Soler would be considered Hispanic by that definition, so where does the "colored" or "person of color" legitimacy come in?
So he shouldn't count towards black lives matter then is that your opinion?

What the hell are you talking about? Hell black lives matter talks about the color of ****ing skin dude. This is completely pointless bye.....

Exactly, because people like you still use the term colored like there is a difference between black and white. There shouldn't be, that's the whole reason they make the argument of BLM. If there wasn't a difference, like there shouldn't be, there would be no reason to protest or make the argument in the first place.

Exactly, because people like you still use the term colored like there is a difference between black and white. There shouldn't be, that's the whole reason they make the argument of BLM. If there wasn't a difference, like there shouldn't be, there would be no reason to protest or make the argument in the first place.
"People like you" is ok but not to admit we have different colored skin. Lmfao, seriously.....BYE.

I still don’t think you are grasping his usage of the word “colored.” Unless you are albino, everybody has a skin color. Recognizing this isn’t racist; harboring negative feelings towards people with a specific skin tone/color is. Within the context of this thread and Mountain Man Hawk’s comments, the way it was used makes sense. If he had used the word “pigmented” instead, the comment would have meant the exact same thing

This is a completely dumb argument, but trying to be helpful because I don’t think H4wkfan said anything out of line

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT