Another Central Little League alum :)

You and your brother played for Pepsi
Me and my brothers played for Eagle Signal/McDonalds
Also in the league at that time:

Pizza Works/Pizza Hut
Happy Joes
KFC
LE Chute

My brother's PONY League team should have made it to Washington. I am convinced a certain coach on that team messed up the pitching rotation in the tournament at Emeis so they would lose cause he was about to be indicted for embezzlement... (I need to let that go at some point)
I totally forgot about Eagle Signal before McDonald's. Such good times

That makes sense. Davenport East was always the power (and I believe last Dport team to advance there).

Our little league wasnt sanctioned by the actual Little League until about five years after our group went through. We scrimmaged the East LL several times, through the years so I’m guessing a few dads knew each other or something.

We played a lot of pick up games at Garfield and Junge. Yelling at the Annie Wittenmeyer boot camp kids was always pretty funny. The best pick up games were played at Jefferson though. You might hit a HR or you might get shot at. It was 50/50
I had a practice at Garfield during Pony League and were using the far east diamond near where the pool use to be. Out of nowhere some of the Annie Whitmeyer kids escaped and were running through the outfield with security/officers in close pursuit. Kids were pretty fast. We were told they were caught by Garfield school.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
Keep in mind, at this level the umps give a HUGE strike zone to ensure the game actually moves. Otherwise they’d all have 20 walks and run 4 hours despite being 6 innings.
That shouldn't be the case at this level. My daughter umps girls softball. Her strike zone changes depending on the level of competition. For All-Stars it's pretty tight. But the most important thing is that it's consistent all game.

I totally forgot about Eagle Signal before McDonald's. Such good times
Pizza place, Pizza place, Fast Food, Soda, Printing Company, and...traffic signal manufacturer?

Do they still do the City Tournament with all of the leagues? That was always a fun time...

Pizza place, Pizza place, Fast Food, Soda, Printing Company, and...traffic signal manufacturer?

Do they still do the City Tournament with all of the leagues? That was always a fun time...
Not sure. Hopefully they do. I assume all the leagues except Junge are still there

My dad coached the 1975 Davenport Southeast Little League team to Williamsport. They ended up finishing 3rd. Back then, there was no double elimination, so the '75 team got through city/state/regionals without losing a game. Lost to Tampa in the semis and defeated a California team in the consolation game.

For two years (1975 and 1976, I believe) there were no foreign teams due to issues with the Taiwanese teams bringing kids over who were much older than 12.
That Tampa team was Belmont Heights. Same team Gooden played as a 12 year old in 77. Any chance he was on that 75 team too?

Kid from Hawaii right now is pitching with both arms. Right to righties and left to lefties. Has a specialty glove to accommodate the style.

Was just watching the Northwest Region Championship. Washington won, but they said both Oregon and Washington had already punched their tickets to the LLWS. How?

Was just watching the Northwest Region Championship. Washington won, but they said both Oregon and Washington had already punched their tickets to the LLWS. How?
Since there are no international teams this year they’re taking two teams from each region.

Reactions: runkpanole
Also keep in mind that they are letting 12 year olds throw from 46', run 60' bases, and play on a field with fences at 225', which makes them look like studs - those are what 10 year olds play at in USSSA. Anyone who plays USSSA at 11U or 12U throws from 50', and the field is 70' bases with fences that are usually at least 275' in tournament play (though there are some exceptions). I have no data to prove this, but I suspect a decent USSSA 12U AAA squad would run through most of the U.S. teams at the LLWS - and Majors teams would absolutely annihilate them.
I agree. I don't think it helps their development to not be holding runners, leading off, etc. I would think when they move on as 13 year old teams to school ball, they'd be behind.

We made it to Fl sectionals and got dbl eliminated by a team from Coral Springs (Ft Laud). They had a pitcher that switched R and L. They also had a kid that went on to play infield for the White Sox. We had been mowing through teams and jacking homers left and right up until that point. Our team seemed to all hit puberty that summer and half our team was over 6', causing the other teams to request our birth certificates. Having a pitcher slice through our lineup like butter, switching arms every other batter brought us down to earth real quick.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Kid from Hawaii right now is pitching with both arms. Right to righties and left to lefties. Has a specialty glove to accommodate the style.

Little League International is big on limiting pitch counts, with maximum number of pitches in a day & mandatory days rest that varies depending on how many pitches you throw. Does he get X number of pitches lefty AND X number of pitches righty?
:)

Excellent MILF watching.

Just a PSA.
answer-me-phone.gif

Little League International is big on limiting pitch counts, with maximum number of pitches in a day & mandatory days rest that varies depending on how many pitches you throw. Does he get X number of pitches lefty AND X number of pitches righty?
:)

That's a great question!

So my son’s 10 year-old all-star team played a team this year from Perry, Iowa. I sh!t you not, there was a kid who was about that size. Again, they were 10, not 11 or 12. Everyone thought he was the coach’s older son helping coach, until he ran out onto the field and played. Our coach even asked their coach for proof of his age, half jokingly of course. Had to of been 6’1” or 6’2” ish, and about 250 lbs.

So my son’s 10 year-old all-star team played a team this year from Perry, Iowa. I sh!t you not, there was a kid who was about that size. Again, they were 10, not 11 or 12. Everyone thought he was the coach’s older son helping coach, until he ran out onto the field and played. Our coach even asked their coach for proof of his age, half jokingly of course. Had to of been 6’1” or 6’2” ish, and about 250 lbs.
Yep, that kid is huge, but terrible.

Aren't the USSSA teams way better than the Little League teams?
Most of these little league all star teams are made up of kids who play both LL and travel ball. For example the Davenport team I mentioned 80% play together of the Rage club team.

They use different bats and a few different rules too.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
Most of these little league all star teams are made up of kids who play both LL and travel ball. For example the Davenport team I mentioned 80% play together of the Rage club team.

They use different bats and a few different rules too.

I don't know who the Rage is. I do know that the QC area has the better baseball teams in the area.

Iowa beats Wisky 3-2 on walk off sac fly

woohoo

They play Missouri on Wednesday at 10:00 on ESPN?

Edit: appears to be updated to that. Missou has beat SD (0-2) by 1 and ND (1-1) by 10. Winner of that to the regional finals.

It irritates me that it is a double elimination bracket except for the championship game.

You got it!
10am CT Wednesday on ESPN vs Missouri

eat poop mizzou

SE little league beat my kids LL team but I’m still rooting for them!

Same here. Beat us 8U, 10u, and 12u. They are a baseball factory. Their 8U B squad beat us by a baker’s dozen.

It won’t be long before they’re broken up, just my thought.

Same here. Beat us 8U, 10u, and 12u. They are a baseball factory. Their 8U B squad beat us by a baker’s dozen.

It won’t be long before they’re broken up, just my thought.
their player pool is just enormous, they need to add another little league for the NE side of Davenport.

my sons 8U team lost by 1 to their B team but their A team beat us 12-2

That is an all-time Pepsi my man!

Only one post between the original and your fizzy sweet screw up. :D

giphy.gif
Speaking of Pepsi...from another thread...which family were you?

Always a tell tale sign back in Little League when the post game pop duty rotated through the roster:

Cooler full of beer and name brand pop = well off family
Cooler full of Shasta and Faygo = South of Locust Street
Pop from the concession stand = both parents work and one barely got there before the game ended...

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
Speaking of Pepsi...from another thread...which family were you?

Always a tell tale sign back in Little League when the post game pop duty rotated through the roster:

Cooler full of beer and name brand pop = well off family
Cooler full of Shasta and Faygo = South of Locust Street
Pop from the concession stand = both parents work and one barely got there before the game ended...
I'm so old that family members rarely showed up for our Little League games.

I distinctly remember putting my glove on one handle bar, slinging the bat across the front, and riding down Buckeye Road by myself to play and coach giving us orange Hi-C and bags of doritos after the game.

It was a better time. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT