ADVERTISEMENT

Lone Tree and Highland looking at 4 day school weeks.

I teach adults. Who said I wasn't willing to teach my kids? I teach them everyday when I get home from work.

What else do you have for me sunshine?

Ohhhh, you teach adults, that's why you don't want to teach at your kid's school, just like all the other teachers have a reason for not wanting to teach at your kids school too. Maybe it's not that they teach adults, but that they don't want to live in rural Iowa. Or maybe they don't want to teach at your kid's school because a different school will pay them better. There's plenty of reasons, just like yours. That's the reality, some schools can't find teachers to fill positions, so they are trying new strategies to attract teachers who are willing to teach at your kid's school.

Martensdale St Marys voted to approve the 4 day weeks. So it begins

Interesting one of the main selling points is that it would attract better/higher quality teachers to the school. The thing is there are no openings currently. What teachers that are there now will leave now they only have to work 4 days a week with the summer off still?

Reactions: Pinehawk
Martensdale St Marys voted to approve the 4 day weeks. So it begins

Interesting one of the main selling points is that it would attract better/higher quality teachers to the school. The thing is there are no openings currently. What teachers that are there now will leave now they only have to work 4 days a week with the summer off still?
do you whine if someone works 4-10 hour shifts? I know plenty of people that work 3-12 hour shifts. It is what it is.
The amount of time a teacher teaches/works will not change.

It’s good to see, we will have some data and real world experiences to look at.

Will test score drop?
Will this cause people to move away?
Will it have adverse effects on kids mental health?

Sadly, school lunch is the best food some kids get all day.

I really don’t see many positives but we will find out.

IMO the best solution is fewer school districts and get the next round of consolidations started.

It's pretty clear there are too many school districts to support, if their solution in regards to teacher retention is to have them actually teach kids one less day per week.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
If only Kim and the mullahs hadn't taken $180 million tax payer dollars away in order to give the kids of Regina/Xavier/Dowling a fair shot in life.

• Haha
The Iowa GOP wants less public school districts and this will definitely force consolidation.

Not sure forcing longer bus rides for rural Iowa students is a positive, but I doubt Terrace Hill cares about it.

It's pretty clear there are too many school districts to support, if their solution in regards to teacher retention is to have them actually teach kids one less day per week.
You are a selfish person that doesn't appear to be very educated.

• Wow
Ignorance. Teachers would still be working on the 5th day. I wonder if they will have to go to the building on that day, OR WORK FROM HOME, like the rest of you.
Highland teachers from my understanding would be there every other Friday for a half day. They would work longer days Mon-Thur

Your comments prove who you are. Too many schools districts you say. Let's get those 1st graders up at 5am to get on the bus and have them get home at 5pm. How idiotic. Do you live in Iowa City?
You don't even care if those 1st graders get left at home on Fridays because the teachers didn't want to teach a full week anymore.

You don't even care if those 1st graders get left at home on Fridays because the teachers didn't want to teach a full week anymore.
There is also a lack of funding. I wonder why? This isn't just for staff to enjoy some extra time at home. This is why others are dumbfounded by your comments. You are ignorant yet speak on the topic as though you aren't.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT