ADVERTISEMENT

Longtime Oklahoma Sooners football assistant Cale Gundy resigns after reading aloud 'shameful' word off player's iPad

Obviously he needs to apologize and maybe show contrition by taking a class or something.

Asking him to resign is absurd. People make mistakes. This hardly seems grounded in any actual prejudice.

Reactions: lucas80
This seems a little over the top. Like if he started reading the pad and the pad had the N word (I'm assuming that's the shameful word since it's the only word I know of that people will outright refuse to say or print.) in there and he read it off, was then contrite and apologized this doesn't seem like a quit your job sort of mistake here.

Sounds like most wanted him to stay but he resigned anyway. I wonder if we'll be seeing him at USC or Okie State in the near future.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I thought that word was perfectly acceptable when used by certain people. Is it safe to assume Mr. Gundy lacks the necessary amount of melanins to qualify?

Reactions: 24 so far
This seems a little over the top. Like if he started reading the pad and the pad had the N word (I'm assuming that's the shameful word since it's the only word I know of that people will outright refuse to say or print.) in there and he read it off, was then contrite and apologized this doesn't seem like a quit your job sort of mistake here.
Absolutely agree. Something is missing that will make this make sense. It certainly doesn't right now.

Reactions: HawkMD
I don’t understand why using the N word in a non-derogatory way is so awful. Obviously, it was dumb of Gundy to say it, given how it toxic the N word is now. But, wow. All he did was read it. Why is that so bad?

Is he wrong?

I assume it’s the ‘N’ word. Celebrated in hip hop culture in hundreds of songs.
You guys sound like the kids on the playground who get left out of playing football. Nobody picked you to be on their team so you go and tell the teacher who has to come over and tell the other kids to include you. You guys sound like a bunch of babies because you're not allowed to say the N word, meanwhile others can because its culturally acceptable.

You guys sound like the kids on the playground who get left out of playing football. Nobody picked you to be on their team so you go and tell the teacher who has to come over and tell the other kids to include you. You guys sound like a bunch of babies because you're not allowed to say the N word, meanwhile others can because its culturally acceptable.
I couldn’t care less who is allowed to say something and not based on the official woke police.

I do think it would be nice to have a spokesperson publicly state what percentage of black you need to be to say it without being cancelled. Mostly because it would be hilarious and highlight a double standard.

getting to the point of offensive language not being uttered by anybody is a place society needs to get if you really want progress.

I do to want to say it. It’s an awful word that nobody should use.

Yeah, I mean, I lose sleep over it being unacceptable for me to say it.

This story reminds me of:
profit.jpg

It’s almost as if context matters when using words. What a concept! 🙄
That is what is so confusing about this story. In the context we are given to believe the word in question was used, everybody seems to agree that this shouldn't be an offense that would lead to one being fired or having to resign.

On top of that, it is being reported that the players that were in the room at the time aren't the ones that took offense.

That is what is so confusing about this story. In the context we are given to believe the word in question was used, everybody seems to agree that this shouldn't be an offense that would lead to one being fired or having to resign.

On top of that, it is being reported that the players that were in the room at the time aren't the ones that took offense.
I agree with you.

But there are plenty of posters who didn’t seem able to grasp that context matters and that there are reasons for a so-called “double standard.”

It’s the usual subjects who are too dull-normal to ascertain gray areas on issues and can only think in the binary.

Reactions: HawkMD and HawCory
I agree with you.

But there are plenty of posters who didn’t seem able to grasp that context matters and that there are reasons for a so-called “double standard.”

It’s the usual subjects who are too dull-normal to ascertain gray areas on issues and can only think in the binary.
Oh, that.

Addressing them seems like a waste of time, imo. Rinse, repeat and all.

Reactions: HawkMD and torbee
Is he wrong?

I assume it’s the ‘N’ word. Celebrated in hip hop culture in hundreds of songs.
My 14 yo son listens to a lot of rap. Our rule is that you never say the word. So he sings the lyrics then goes silent when the word come up, which in some songs, is multiple times. He hears the word 50 times per day, I would have to think eventually it might slip out. Does everyone now sit on pins and needles waiting for the consequences of mistakenly reading or singing the word?

Libs in this thread: There has to be more to this story. We don't have all the facts. Because I don't want to admit that forces on my side have created an environment that results in such outcomes.

Anybody can use any word they want to at anytime. It's called Free Speech.

There's a document somewhere that talks about it................. Look it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT