ADVERTISEMENT

Looks Like Downey is gone from ISU

Travis Paulsen had a great tweet today talking about how wrestling for ISU is a privilege than can be taken away if not appreciated or something to that extent.

Reactions: HIWILLE
In other news...

featured-2-625x352.jpg

Iowa State's coaches need to take a lot of blame here. They let Downey do the same stuff last year and still wrestle. Downey would be wrestling right now if the coaching staff didn't essentially get fired. They should have been strict with him from the beginning. Instead they did throw him away when they had nothing to save. Not to excuse Downey's actions, but he is the same guy that was allowed to wrestle last year.

Iowa State's coaches need to take a lot of blame here. They let Downey do the same stuff last year and still wrestle. Downey would be wrestling right now if the coaching staff didn't essentially get fired. They should have been strict with him from the beginning. Instead they did throw him away when they had nothing to save. Not to excuse Downey's actions, but he is the same guy that was allowed to wrestle last year.

I see your point but Downey did exactly NOTHING that makes a case that he deserved to be on the Team. In fact, because he is on scholarship, there is a certain level of accountablility one would expect from him.

I am not talking the dumb tweets, the drugs,
Or the snowboarding. I'm talking skipping practice. Is it a big deal he chose not to go? Probably not. Does it create turmoil & frustration in the room? Yes. Are his teamates standing up for him? No.

To me, the only mistake ISU made is that they did not kick him off the team or revoke his scholarship sooner.

I see your point but Downey did exactly NOTHING that makes a case that he deserved to be on the Team. In fact, because he is on scholarship, there is a certain level of accountablility one would expect from him.

I am not talking the dumb tweets, the drugs,
Or the snowboarding. I'm talking skipping practice. Is it a big deal he chose not to go? Probably not. Does it create turmoil & frustration in the room? Yes. Are his teamates standing up for him? No.

To me, the only mistake ISU made is that they did not kick him off the team or revoke his scholarship sooner.
That's the whole point. He didn't change his actions. He got kicked off because his coaches weren't fighting for their jobs any longer. They should have had him on a tight leash starting last season. The coaches failed in their handling of him. I am not making excuses for Downey, but why would he change when the coaches didn't have a problem with him last year and prior to Jackson stepping down. The coaches and admin are letting him be a scapegoat to take attention off their massive failures.

That's the whole point. He didn't change his actions. He got kicked off because his coaches weren't fighting for their jobs any longer. They should have had him on a tight leash starting last season. The coaches failed in their handling of him. I am not making excuses for Downey, but why would he change when the coaches didn't have a problem with him last year and prior to Jackson stepping down. The coaches and admin are letting him be a scapegoat to take attention off their massive failures.

And my problem is that Downey thinks it was OK to not be part of the team while hurt. No accountability, another entitled youth. Neither side comes out looking good on this one.

And my problem is that Downey thinks it was OK to not be part of the team while hurt. No accountability, another entitled youth. Neither side comes out looking good on this one.
The buck stops with the coaches. They had a chance to straighten his ass out last year and didn't do anything. The kid needed the Montel Marion treatment. Downey would have either changed his ways or been given the boot within 24 hours at Iowa. Iowa State said keep doing what your doing buddy, until they lost their jobs.
At no point am I sticking up for what Downey has done. He has been a terrible teammate and distraction. It's the coaches responsibility to nip that in the bud. They didn't so long as he could still help them.

Reactions: ih8iast8
I think Downey was under strict policy. Think that is why he didn't wrestle versus UNC, WV & Minnesota.

I do think the coaches were to lenient with him sometimes also

Downey wasn't missing practices last year, so not sure how that is relevant.
He was doing similar partying and twitter/snapchat, and who is to say he wasn't missing practices? All I am saying is the coaches dropped the ball and they are letting Downey take all the backlash. Do you guys really think he wouldn't be wrestling if the coaches still had their jobs?

He was doing similar partying and twitter/snapchat, and who is to say he wasn't missing practices? All I am saying is the coaches dropped the ball and they are letting Downey take all the backlash. Do you guys really think he wouldn't be wrestling if the coaches still had their jobs?

No, I'm pretty sure you also said he was "Doing the same stuff last year." Not saying that it changes your overall point, but it sounds like you maybe aren't the expert on the subject that you pretend to be.

Reactions: pumpdog20
To save time for those of us reading on phones, can you simply say "See what I said above"?

No, I'm pretty sure you also said he was "Doing the same stuff last year." Not saying that it changes your overall point, but it sounds like you maybe aren't the expert on the subject that you pretend to be.
I don't believe he attended every practice last year. I'm moving on. My blame is on the coaches for how they handled him from day 1. You can blame whoever you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchL
The buck stops with the coaches. They had a chance to straighten his ass out last year and didn't do anything. The kid needed the Montel Marion treatment. Downey would have either changed his ways or been given the boot within 24 hours at Iowa. Iowa State said keep doing what your doing buddy, until they lost their jobs.
At no point am I sticking up for what Downey has done. He has been a terrible teammate and distraction. It's the coaches responsibility to nip that in the bud. They didn't so long as he could still help them.
My view regarding the coaches handling of the Dooney circus is that it was a trickle down affect with the rest of the team. I think his actions and influence created a huge distraction in the room and resulted in the miserable season ISU endured.
So who gets the blame for that? Pretty simple... the entire coaching staff is to blame. I think this is also a reason neither of the Paulsens was ever seriously considered for the HC vacancy.
At this point it doesn't matter. There has already been a complete flush of the old staff. No way KD keeps anyone from the old regime around. They are completely incompetent.

My view regarding the coaches handling of the Dooney circus is that it was a trickle down affect with the rest of the team. I think his actions and influence created a huge distraction in the room and resulted in the miserable season ISU endured.
So who gets the blame for that? Pretty simple... the entire coaching staff is to blame. I think this is also a reason neither of the Paulsens was ever seriously considered for the HC vacancy.
At this point it doesn't matter. There has already been a complete flush of the old staff. No way KD keeps anyone from the old regime around. They are completely incompetent.
The inmates ran the asylum over there. I believe Earl overslept and missed a November tournament. The Paulson's are every bit as bad as KJ.

Reactions: MitchL

To be fair, maybe the Paulsen's wanted him gone the whole time. Might not be a coincidence that he was booted as soon as Travis was allowed to takeover.

What is the deal with Downey? There is more conversation about this clown than any of the Hawks. I'm done with Downey.

Reactions: wasdt21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT