ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Hollywood's been reading HROT - CIVIL WAR 2024 Trailer

The "real Americans" portrayed in the trailer are 60-100 pounds underweight based on the footage I've seen of the self-styled militia gravy seals.
There are rules!

8bl43i.jpg

Some observers are pointing to the fact the trailer does not specifically address the politics of why the conflict is taking place.

“Whatever disagreement is at the heart of the conflict, which the first trailer carefully avoids pinning down, puts California and Texas in the same boat, which sounds unthinkable at the present moment,” one reviewer wrote in an article for the online news site Polygon.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Some observers are pointing to the fact the trailer does not specifically address the politics of why the conflict is taking place.

“Whatever disagreement is at the heart of the conflict, which the first trailer carefully avoids pinning down, puts California and Texas in the same boat, which sounds unthinkable at the present moment,” one reviewer wrote in an article for the online news site Polygon.

Yep…they lost me with the California/Texas alliance.

WTF?

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
The real question is can Hollywood pull this off without alienating half the country and thus impact ticket sales? Will they take the Jordan approach or will they do what they normally do?
The thing that's totally off with states seceding from the Union in the modern day is even in "R or D" states there's a very sizeable opposing party population.

It's not like 1860 when peoples allegiance was more to their state and not to the U.S. Most people in 1860 didn't travel more than 20 miles from their home. For folks in Georgia, New York was a far off alien land that 99% of the people didn't visit. That just isn't the case now...

Let's say California seceded from the Union....they'd be spending their time putting down rebellions in their own state. At the very least you'd have fertile ground for extremely strong partisan opposition.

I just don't see it as a feasible scenario to have a repeat of 1860.

Any Civil War in the future wouldn't have the cut and dried line the civil war mostly did....every state would be like the border states in the Civil War....opposing factions like there were in Kentucky or Missouri.

Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
Yep…they lost me with the California/Texas alliance.

WTF?
I actually thought it might be an entertaining/interesting movie….as I usually like disaster/war action movies….and then they said California and Texas were united and I couldn’t stop laughing.

Then Ron Swanson started to recite the pledge of allegiance and I realized this is a comedy.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
It looks like they are very clearly going out of their way to not portray red or blue as the good guy and the other one aa the bad guy so the movie appeals to everyone. I’m guessing that’s why the Texas/California alliance getting wiped out is a plot point because then both sides view themselves as the good guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT