ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion If you want to save democracy in 2024, Biden is the only viable choice

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Max Boot
Columnist|
September 25, 2023 at 5:45 a.m. EDT

I fear for America’s future and hence the world’s — more so now than ever. I had relaxed a bit after the last two national elections, which had seemed to signal a return to normalcy. Donald Trump was decisively defeated in 2020 and, in 2022, most of his fellow election deniers also lost in their bids to take over the election machinery of swing states.

Make sense of the news fast with Opinions' daily newsletter

But now we’re back in Crazytown. Trump is the almost certain Republican nominee in 2024. And, if current polls are to be believed, he has an excellent chance of winning the presidency again — despite his two impeachments, his incitement of an insurrection, and the 91 felony counts he currently faces in four criminal cases.
A year ago, I naively imagined that Trump would be politically hurt by being indicted. Once again, I either overestimated the American public or underestimated Trump. If anything, the criminal cases seem to have helped him politically. He leads all his Republican challengers by a very wide margin: In the FiveThirtyEight polling average, he is at nearly 56 percent among Republican voters.

Even more disturbing, Trump is running neck and neck with President Biden in general-election matchups. That means — given the Republican advantage in the electoral college — that he is probably ahead in the electoral count. Somehow, most voters have decided that Biden is too old for the presidency, but Trump, who is only three years younger and infinitely less cogent, isn’t.

The prospect of another Trump term is the greatest foreseeable disaster that can befall the United States and the world. Trump is likely to be 10 times more dangerous this time around, because he won’t allow any adults in the White House to act as a check on his worst instincts — no more Jim Mattis as defense secretary, John F. Kelly as chief of staff or H.R. McMaster as national security adviser. In a second term, Trump is likely to only appoint advisers as unhinged as he is.
We can only speculate what this will mean, but the likelihood is that Trump will cut off aid to Ukraine, pull out of NATO, eviscerate the civil service and the military’s top ranks, and appoint an attorney general who will prosecute his enemies. For a start. He was eager to do all of those things in his first term but was dissuaded or blocked by the “deep state.” He’s unlikely to allow that to happen again. He has become even more radical and more authoritarian since leaving office, and he now has much more experience in getting what he wants out of the government.

The consequences will be dire enough domestically, imperiling U.S. democracy, but they will be even worse internationally. Among other alarming consequences, a Trump presidency could allow Russian leader Vladimir Putin to defeat Ukraine and remake the 21st-century global order in favor of tyrants and aggressors.
David Von Drehle

counterpointDemocrats are crazy to insist only Biden can beat Trump

So how do we stop Trump? Biden is a feeble vessel at best, but he’s the only realistic option we have. It’s true that he is 80 years old (and would be 82 at the start of a new term), and he often stumbles rhetorically and sometimes physically. But his successful performance in office belies his doddering image.
He has managed to pass big, bipartisan bills, including infrastructure legislation that Trump only talked about. He has been even more impressive internationally, assembling a large coalition to oppose Russia’s war of aggression in Ukraine and another coalition in East Asia to deter China from aggression of its own. The economy — the ultimate barometer of a president’s performance — has been doing much better than expected, with low unemployment, declining inflation and no recession in sight. That’s a record any president can be proud of. Yet the polls haven’t been giving Biden the credit he is due, possibly because perceptions of the economy still lag the reality.

ADVERTISING

In an ideal world, Biden would head off to a well-deserved retirement and a younger, more vigorous successor — someone such as Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, California Gov. Gavin Newsom or Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo — would run in his place. The likelihood is that any of those candidates would be stronger than Biden in the general election.
Press Enter to skip to end of carousel

But we don’t live in that ideal world. In the world as it is, we’re just a few months before the start of the primaries, so if Biden were to step down now, the almost certain Democratic nominee would be Vice President Harris. (The last sitting vice president who sought but failed to secure a party’s presidential nomination was Alben Barkley in 1952.) And I have yet to meet a Democrat who has any confidence in Harris’s ability to beat Trump.
Harris has a poor track record in national politics. She exited the 2020 Democratic race before a single vote was cast and has done little to elevate herself as vice president (admittedly a difficult task in a low-profile post with few fixed responsibilities). Moreover, unfair as it is, there is good cause to worry that Trump would run a sexist and racist campaign that could hurt Harris among working-class White voters in industrial states. The RealClearPolitics polling average shows that, while Trump is beating Biden by just 0.5 points, he leads Harris by 4 points — and that’s before he has begun to focus his fire and fury on her.

At the same time, any move to challenge Biden in the primaries or to replace Harris on the ticket would lead to Democratic fratricide which would likely ease Trump’s path back to power. Anyone who believes in preserving American democracy and the U.S.-led world order, therefore, has no choice but to back Biden in 2024, however uninspiring that might be.
We had better hope that popular perceptions of the economy improve … and that a likely Trump conviction might dissuade swing voters from supporting him … and that a third-party candidate won’t split the anti-Trump vote … and that Biden doesn’t experience any Mitch McConnell-like freeze-ups or other health scares. Otherwise, come November 2024, we might be facing the end of the world as we know it.
You can see why I’m not feeling good about the future — not when the fate of the world depends on the vitality and vigor of an octogenarian who looks his age. But it does.

I never thought I would see someone openly campaigning on ending 250ish years of representative democracy in the United States but here we are. What's more, I never thought that campaigning on "screw freedoms and the Bill of Rights!" would actually get someone so much support here. Boy, mandatory saying the pledge of allegiance in class every day sure has worked wonders.

Is it “end of democracy” season again already?
It’s like some of you pay zero attention to what Trump and Republican groups behind the scenes say they want to do. How many things do these people have to say about attacking American democracy before you and bins take it seriously? At some point you need to take them at their word.

If you’re wrong America will never be the same. I hope you’re correct and that all the warnings I read and hear are delusional.

Is it “end of democracy” season again already?
Have you been listening to what Trump has been saying at his rallies? It's ok if you haven't, I try to avoid listening to him too, but it's terrifying. Today he said he was going to go after journalists who were critical of him and he threatened the outgoing head of the Joint Chiefs Mark Milley with execution. He is telling us what he is going to do and this time nobody should just laugh it off as some joke or Donnie being Donnie.

Biden has not been good in my opinion. Biden will get even worse because of his age. If that is the best presidential candidate in the US we are in big trouble.
Elaborate. What gives you that opinion? Google Biden accomplishments and then I would like to know why you’re against those things. Again all I hear is age from people here. Occasionally the troop withdrawal. That’s it. Otherwise he’s been damn presidential

It’s like some of you pay zero attention to what Trump and Republican groups behind the scenes say they want to do. How many things do these people have to say about attacking American democracy before you and bins take it seriously? At some point you need to take them at their word.

If you’re wrong America will never be the same. I hope you’re correct and that all the warnings I read and hear are delusional.
Screaming about the end of democracy while downplaying the complete clusterfvck at our borders is complete idiocy. So excuse me if I shrug off your selective outrage.

Have you been listening to what Trump has been saying at his rallies? It's ok if you haven't, I try to avoid what listening to him too, but it's terrifying. Today he said he was going to go after journalists who were critical of him and he threatened the outgoing head of the Joint Chiefs Mark Milley with execution. He is telling us what he is going to do and this time nobody should just laugh it off as some joke or Donnie being Donnie.
Exactly. He has enough psychos that would be fine with it. We already have a Congressman who wanted Trump to declare martial law. Yet some think this is a damn joke. The Republic isn’t safe until Trump and MAGA have been eviscerated.

Screaming about the end of democracy while downplaying the complete clusterfvck at our borders is complete idiocy. So excuse me if I shrug off your selective outrage.
No, ending Democracy is far more important. And this border crap only seems to be a problem for Republicans when Democrats are in charge, with the notable exception of Trump where the philosophy of "the more cruel, the better" seemed to have worked well with them.

For a party where the border is really the only policy issue that any Republicans have campaigned on, and even then it isn't everyone, they sure as shit don't have any good ideas on what to do about it. Murder traps at the border is not a good policy idea, for the record.

No, ending Democracy is far more important. And this border crap only seems to be a problem for Republicans when Democrats are in charge, with the notable exception of Trump where the philosophy of "the more cruel, the better" seemed to have worked well with them.

For a party where the border is really the only policy issue that any Republicans have campaigned on, and even then it isn't everyone, they sure as shit don't have any good ideas on what to do about it. Murder traps at the border is not a good policy idea, for the record.
Good thing democracy isn’t ending then.

Lol. Do you want to admit you were wrong about migrants bringing fentanyl in killing our kids? My outrage is real. Yours is made up to fit your narrative. Stick to the topic. I’ve given my thoughts on the border a dozen times here. Learn or don’t.

Elaborate. What gives you that opinion? Google Biden accomplishments and then I would like to know why you’re against those things. Again all I hear is age from people here. Occasionally the troop withdrawal. That’s it. Otherwise he’s been damn presidential
Come on you can't be that blind. The only thing that I can think of off of the top of my head that Biden handled well is Covid. He's not a good president regardless of his age. His age just makes him that much worse when you think of him in 5 years.

Come on you can't be that blind. The only thing that I can think of off of the top of my head that Biden handled well is Covid. He's not a good president regardless of his age. His age just makes him that much worse when you think of him in 5 years.
So you googled Biden accomplishments and disagreed with all of them besides Covid? Honestly? You like none of those things? I posted a ton of them earlier. Dozens of things he’s done and you’re like, “Meh.”

Unbelievable.

Good thing democracy isn’t ending then.
It is if Trump wins the next election. No matter what you think his chances are, this is as close as the US has ever been to ending short of the beginning of the civil war. The motherf****r already tried to do it once, why don't you believe that he will try it again? When Trump says he is going to go after individuals and consolidate power into the Presidency, you need to believe him.

So you googled Biden accomplishments and disagreed with all of them besides Covid? Honestly? You like none of those things? I posted a ton of them earlier. Dozens of things he’s done and you’re like, “Meh.”

Unbelievable.
I disagreed with a lot of them and I have no dog in this fight unlike you. Biden hasn't been a great president and won't get any better in the next 5 years.

Hahahahahahahaha can't sell biden on his record so they fall back to this laziness. 2024 is going to be extraordinarily painful for dems and they've earned it with the nonstop failures these past few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT