ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion If you want to save democracy in 2024, Biden is the only viable choice

There will be another election, sure. But we may not get much of a choice of candidates. I could easily see the rates of deadly "accidents" increasing dramatically to potential electoral threats.
Don't we already have that with the Clintons?

But, seriously, are you kidding? Talk about conspiracy theory.

Don't we already have that with the Clintons?

But, seriously, are you kidding? Talk about conspiracy theory.
Hey, this is the shit coming from Trump. You are a complete fool if you don't listen to what he is saying and believe him when he says he's going to do that crap.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Hey, this is the shit coming from Trump. You are a complete fool if you don't listen to what he is saying and believe him when he says he's going to do that crap.
is doobs one of those posters who is a non trump supporter with centrist sensibilities who always take an anti-Democrat position when he posts?

is doobs one of those posters who is a non trump supporter with centrist sensibilities who always take an anti-Democrat position when he posts?
He's not a centrist at all no matter what he claims to be. But the rest is generally correct although I think I have actually agreed with him once or twice.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Lol. Do you want to admit you were wrong about migrants bringing fentanyl in killing our kids? My outrage is real. Yours is made up to fit your narrative. Stick to the topic. I’ve given my thoughts on the border a dozen times here. Learn or don’t.
Like I said. Head up your ass. Apparently, Governor Newsom thinks it’s a pretty big deal. But keep running around screaming about the end of democracy that’s never gonna happen during your lifetime. LOL.

Fentanyl seizures at the Mexico – U.S. border increased 164% from 2020 to 2022. Seizures in 2023 of 21,846 pounds (about 9909 kg) (FYTD) have already surpassed last year’s 14,104 pounds (about 6397 kg). Most fentanyl seizures occur in the states of California and Arizona and both states have seen an increase in fentanyl seizures over the period of 2020 – 2023 (FYTD).   Seizures in Texas and New Mexico, on the other hand, are a fraction of the previously mentioned states and seizures in these states collectively, decreased from 2021 to 2022.

The prevalence of fentanyl seizures in California and Arizona is linked directly to the dominance of the Sinaloa Cartel and the Jalisco New Generation Cartel in Baja California and Sonora, the two neighboring Mexican States.  New Mexico and Texas, on the other hand, border Mexican states where the previously mentioned cartels are not dominant. Cartels hire both Mexican and U.S. citizens to smuggle the easily concealable drug through ports of entry on foot and by passenger and cargo vehicles. This practice results in close to 90% of illicit fentanyl seizures occurring at official border crossings, according to CBP. The DEA has named the two cartels as the major suppliers of fentanyl in the United States.

The increase in fentanyl seizures at the Southwest border is not replicated in seizures of cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamine.  Cocaine seizures decreased slightly in 2022 over 2021 while heroin seizures decreased far more dramatically over the past two years from 5,157 pounds (about 2339 kg) in 2020 to 1,498 pounds (about 679 kg) in 2022. Methamphetamine remains the most seized drug with seizures along the southern border in 2021 of 182,561 pounds (about 82808 kg) and 160,305 pounds (about 72713 kg) seized in 2022. Seizures in 2023 (FYTD) suggest that fentanyl may surpass cocaine as the second most seized illicit substance at the Southern border.

Like I said. Head up your ass. Apparently, Governor Newsom thinks it’s a pretty big deal. But keep running around screaming about the end of democracy that’s never gonna happen during your lifetime. LOL.

Fentanyl seizures at the Mexico – U.S. border increased 164% from 2020 to 2022. Seizures in 2023 of 21,846 pounds (about 9909 kg) (FYTD) have already surpassed last year’s 14,104 pounds (about 6397 kg). Most fentanyl seizures occur in the states of California and Arizona and both states have seen an increase in fentanyl seizures over the period of 2020 – 2023 (FYTD).   Seizures in Texas and New Mexico, on the other hand, are a fraction of the previously mentioned states and seizures in these states collectively, decreased from 2021 to 2022.

The prevalence of fentanyl seizures in California and Arizona is linked directly to the dominance of the Sinaloa Cartel and the Jalisco New Generation Cartel in Baja California and Sonora, the two neighboring Mexican States.  New Mexico and Texas, on the other hand, border Mexican states where the previously mentioned cartels are not dominant. Cartels hire both Mexican and U.S. citizens to smuggle the easily concealable drug through ports of entry on foot and by passenger and cargo vehicles. This practice results in close to 90% of illicit fentanyl seizures occurring at official border crossings, according to CBP. The DEA has named the two cartels as the major suppliers of fentanyl in the United States.

The increase in fentanyl seizures at the Southwest border is not replicated in seizures of cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamine.  Cocaine seizures decreased slightly in 2022 over 2021 while heroin seizures decreased far more dramatically over the past two years from 5,157 pounds (about 2339 kg) in 2020 to 1,498 pounds (about 679 kg) in 2022. Methamphetamine remains the most seized drug with seizures along the southern border in 2021 of 182,561 pounds (about 82808 kg) and 160,305 pounds (about 72713 kg) seized in 2022. Seizures in 2023 (FYTD) suggest that fentanyl may surpass cocaine as the second most seized illicit substance at the Southern border.
I don't understand why you think stopping more of this stuff at the border is a bad thing. Would you prefer that it gets through the border like it did previously? I hate to break it to you, but smuggling drugs across the border has been going on for a long time. It did not start with Biden's Presidency. Pointing to increased seizures as some sort of bad thing is idiotic. But then you think that Trump is just joking around up there, even after he has already orchestrated an attempted coup.

I don't understand why you think stopping more of this stuff at the border is a bad thing. Would you prefer that it gets through the border like it did previously? I hate to break it to you, but smuggling drugs across the border has been going on for a long time. It did not start with Biden's Presidency. Pointing to increased seizures as some sort of bad thing is idiotic. But then you think that Trump is just joking around up there, even after he has already orchestrated an attempted coup.
Let’s use your logic then. I don’t know why you think stopping attempted coups is a bad thing.

I don’t know why you think the number one killer of people 18-45 is not a real problem.

And no…drugs that kill you when you merely touch them flooding over the border has not “always been a problem”.

Reactions: goldmom
Let’s use your logic then. I don’t know why you think stopping attempted coups is a bad thing.

I don’t know why you think the number one killer of people 18-45 is not a real problem.

And no…drugs that kill you when you merely touch them flooding over the border has not “always been a problem”.
You really have no floor when it comes to demeaning yourself for the sake of a troll. Good God.

Reactions: Ree4 and JRHawk2003
The Republican-led House Oversight Committee subpoenaed a bank for Hunter Biden’s records and obtained two wire transfers from Chinese nationals to Hunter Biden in 2019 that listed President Joe Biden’s Wilmington, Delaware, home as the beneficiary address, the panel announced Tuesday.

So something like this is a big deal when it comes to the Biden family but when it comes to the McConnell family or the Trump family or God knows how many other politicians families that do business with China it's a big whoop?

Again, what's the issue/crime here? Joe Biden was even a private citizen at the time.

And your insane Chicken Little act while ignoring bad shit that’s actually happening is quite remarkable.
I'm not ignoring anything. From the article you posted it seems like a lot is being done. A lot more than what has been done under other Presidents. They are seizing more illegal goods. Yet somehow you take that as a bad thing, that they somehow aren't doing their job. I ask you again, how is this bad? You keep not answering that question. Gee, I wonder why.

So, while you keep focused on stuff that is being handled better than it has in the past, there is a lunatic who has already tried to overthrow the government once saying he's going to turn the entire government into his personal revenge weapon. Banning news agencies he doesn't like, arresting democrats, organizing assassinations of political rivals. These are all things he has either said at speeches or over social media. But it doesn't appear to be a concern to you.

So something like this is a big deal when it comes to the Biden family but when it comes to the McConnell family or the Trump family or God knows how many other politicians families that do business with China it's a big whoop?

Again, what's the issue/crime here? Joe Biden was even a private citizen at the time.
It's a big deal for all of them..

Unfortunately team politics come into play and it's difficult to hold them to account.

We have a massive "honest graft" problem and it's bipartisan.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I'm not ignoring anything. From the article you posted it seems like a lot is being done. A lot more than what has been done under other Presidents. They are seizing more illegal goods. Yet somehow you take that as a bad thing, that they somehow aren't doing their job. I ask you again, how is this bad? You keep not answering that question. Gee, I wonder why.

So, while you keep focused on stuff that is being handled better than it has in the past, there is a lunatic who has already tried to overthrow the government once saying he's going to turn the entire government into his personal revenge weapon. Banning news agencies he doesn't like, arresting democrats, organizing assassinations of political rivals. These are all things he has either said at speeches or over social media. But it doesn't appear to be a concern to you.
Jesus. There aren't any stats on fentanyl before 2018 because it's such a new thing. You know Bill Clinton did more to stop internet crime than Reagan and GHWB combined! Fentanyl is the #1 killer of all Americans from 18-45. Makes up almost 80% of all overdoses, of which more than half are accidental. Pretty much all of it comes in from the southern border.

But since we are talking about records, the border under Biden has had more "got aways" than anytime in our history as well. Don't see you bragging on that stat much. None of them are probably here to cause any trouble though.

Unfortunately team politics come into play and it's difficult to hold them to account.

I was a Warren supporter in 2020 partly because of this "issue" and her promises to attempt to reign it in. But Republicans who complain about it are pretty much always completely full of shit. Any legislation on this issue coming from Comer or any of the others? Hee hee, I make myself laugh.

This is so "Clinton rules". Take something that everybody in Washington does and then pretend it's corrupt or whatever when you look at a particular person or family.

So **You're** a terrible speller? Just say so.

You get the drift.

Biden is by no means a great president, but has a normal functioning administration. Trump and the Republicans cant govern. This insanity with the shutdown shows it yet again.

I was a Warren supporter in 2020 partly because of this "issue" and her promises to attempt to reign it in. But Republicans who complain about it are pretty much always completely full of shit. Any legislation on this issue coming from Comer or any of the others? Hee hee, I make myself laugh.

This is so "Clinton rules". Take something that everybody in Washington does and then pretend it's corrupt or whatever when you look at a particular person or family.
Like I said...team politics prevent us from reigning in the graft.

Opinion If you want to save democracy in 2024, Biden is the only viable choice​

While the general premise is actionably true, I can't help but think:

Democrats think they're getting this.

393ca4fd4e9474a7_GettyImages-526903476.jpg

And the reality is, this is what they're getting:

16833938582606.jpg

It’s entirely possible to be a non-Trump person who also thinks the Democrats are not the answer either.

Reactions: Finance85
It’s entirely possible to be a non-Trump person who also thinks the Democrats are not the answer either.
Yet those people in real life and online ways seem to defend the Trump position, depsitensaying they sre not a “Trump person”

Reactions: Ree4
Yet those people in real life and online ways seem to defend the Trump position, depsitensaying they sre not a “Trump person”
No they don't.

It's also possible to support some political positions while not supporting politicians who favor those same positions.

• Haha
Reactions: auntie_fah

Biden sees warning signs with independent voters in lackluster polls​

President Biden is seeing warning signs with independent voters nearly a year out from Election Day, with new polls suggesting he’s losing support from a crucial group poised to decide who will next serve in the White House.

Independent voters reported a lackluster 36 percent approval rating of Biden in an NBC News poll taken in mid-September, and 3 in 5 Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents in a Washington Post-ABC News poll said they want a nominee other than Biden.

The numbers could mean trouble for Biden in the general election, especially if it’s a rematch against former President Trump.

“There are going to be a fair number of cross-pressured voters — including many people who consider themselves independents — who hold a negative view of Biden and Trump. These are the folks who are going to decide the election,” said Kyle Kondik, managing editor of Sabato’s Crystal Ball at the University of Virginia Center for Politics.

Trump’s support among likely Republican primary voters, meanwhile, has seen a continued surge despite facing a myriad of legal troubles, but that’s a different matter among voters who are not staunchly GOP.

Trump led the GOP presidential field with 67 percent of Republicans, but that number dwindles to 47 percent when it comes to those who lean Republican — a 20-point disconnect — a recent Quinnipiac University poll found. In August, that gap was 17 percent, with 62 percent of Republicans and 45 percent of GOP-leaning voters.

Among independents, Biden earned a 36 percent approval rating on his job handling in the Washington Post-ABC News poll. Asked to look back on Trump’s job handling, 47 percent of that group said they approved of the former president — and the pollsters note that comparison with Biden could be a factor in Trump’s retrospective rating.

Persistent concerns about Biden’s age also permeate the polling, while voters don’t appear as worried about Trump’s. At 80, Biden is the oldest sitting president, and 80 percent of independents in the Post-ABC poll said Biden is too old for another term. By contrast, 58 percent of independents said the same of Trump, who at 77 is only a few years younger.
In 2020, Biden led Trump by nearly 10 points with independents. Fifty-two percent of independent voters supported Biden, compared to 43 percent supporting Trump, according to Pew Research Center. Independents nearly split their vote in 2016, with 43 percent supporting Trump and 42 percent supporting Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Biden’s lead over Trump with the independent voting bloc in 2020 was essential to his success in winning back swing states Clinton had lost.

Losing those gains would be a major issue for Biden’s campaign, which has been focused on reminding voters of Republicans’ far-right stances on issues like reproductive rights, as well as certain legislative victories for Biden that were attractive to independents.
The infrastructure law and the CHIPS and Science Act both passed with a bipartisan vote and tackle issues — manufacturing and building in the U.S. and competition with China — that are important to voters on both sides of the aisle.

Democratic strategist Eddie Vale underscored that independents will likely be key in the upcoming race — but if the election comes down to a Biden-Trump rematch of 2020, Biden “has a good track record to keep independents in his column.”

“We [saw] from Biden’s last race, and the midterms as well, that independents are sticking with him,” Vale said.

Overall, Biden has faced dismal approval ratings going into the election year. Biden surrogates often point to his ability to defy the odds, like when he turned around the 2020 Democratic primary and went on to win the nomination. His campaign, too, does not appear concerned by the consistently bad polling numbers over the past few months.

A source familiar with the campaign’s thinking said that once the campaign gears up more, it will be able to message wins to independent voters and get that bloc to give Biden more credit.

“They will message these wins directly to independents as the campaign gears up. I don’t doubt that they will get this right and be fine,” the source said.
Some pollsters also argued that the Post-ABC poll, which found Biden was trailing Trump by 10 percentage points, is a one-off “outlier.” Sabato called it “a ridiculous outlier” and Matt Barreto, a Democratic and Latino pollster, said it’s a “big outlier poll” that should be ignored.

Another Democratic operative chalked up recent polling to the focus on the Republican presidential primary, saying once that is settled, Biden’s numbers will improve with blocs like independents.

“Voters are watching the circus of a Republican primary but aren’t thinking about the general election. Once we are closer to November 2024 and it’s a head-to-head matchup, President Biden’s long record of wins is going to stand in stark contrast,” said Andrea Riccio, Democratic strategist and founder of Velocity Partners.

“Biden’s once-in-a-generation investment in infrastructure to build roads, fix bridges and create American jobs will be one of the key accomplishments that sways independents,” she added.

Jesus. There aren't any stats on fentanyl before 2018 because it's such a new thing. You know Bill Clinton did more to stop internet crime than Reagan and GHWB combined! Fentanyl is the #1 killer of all Americans from 18-45. Makes up almost 80% of all overdoses, of which more than half are accidental. Pretty much all of it comes in from the southern border.

But since we are talking about records, the border under Biden has had more "got aways" than anytime in our history as well. Don't see you bragging on that stat much. None of them are probably here to cause any trouble though.
First of all, I don't know how you accurately count people who weren't caught so that number doesn't mean jack shit. But while we're on the topic of increased volume, there are more people moving north and it's not because of anything our politicians are doing here. It's everything to do with how miserable and unsafe life is in central America. Because of climate change they have been having massive crop failures which has caused the ruling powers (I wouldn't even really call it a government) to crack down even harder on the people living there as they try to maintain a stable rule. As a result more people are headed our way.

And guess what? It's only going to get worse. I know how terrified of people from other countries you are but they are going to the one place they think is safer than where they are at. I don't disagree that we need a new plan but you keep blaming Biden for Congress inability to do jack shit on this. Biden can't just swoop in like Superman and round up all the foreigners. Congress needs to do something. I only wish you'd bitch to your Congressperson about this as much as you do on these boards.

Please stfu when it comes to crimes and dishonesty when it comes to sides.

First of all, I don't know how you accurately count people who weren't caught so that number doesn't mean jack shit. But while we're on the topic of increased volume, there are more people moving north and it's not because of anything our politicians are doing here. It's everything to do with how miserable and unsafe life is in central America. Because of climate change they have been having massive crop failures which has caused the ruling powers (I wouldn't even really call it a government) to crack down even harder on the people living there as they try to maintain a stable rule. As a result more people are headed our way.

And guess what? It's only going to get worse. I know how terrified of people from other countries you are but they are going to the one place they think is safer than where they are at. I don't disagree that we need a new plan but you keep blaming Biden for Congress inability to do jack shit on this. Biden can't just swoop in like Superman and round up all the foreigners. Congress needs to do something. I only wish you'd bitch to your Congressperson about this as much as you do on these boards.
Am I blaming Biden? Or am I pointing out that the blind Biden faithful refuse to accept that it's a shit show at the border and the people and things coming through there are going to be a continued source of major problems going forward whether you want to blame a Dem or not? I mean here you are in this thread continually sweeping the fentanyl crisis under the rug because it's inconvenient for it to be a reality while there's a Dem president. And your cheap shot about me fearing people from other countries puts you in the scumbag category now. Congrats.

Am I blaming Biden? Or am I pointing out that the blind Biden faithful refuse to accept that it's a shit show at the border and the people and things coming through there are going to be a continued source of major problems going forward whether you want to blame a Dem or not? I mean here you are in this thread continually sweeping the fentanyl crisis under the rug because it's inconvenient for it to be a reality while there's a Dem president. And your cheap shot about me fearing people from other countries puts you in the scumbag category now. Congrats.
Trump and MAGA's are a far larger Clear and Present Danger to the United States than some refugee illegal citizens coming across the border. You are desperately trying to find any reason to not have to pay attention to the giant one pounding down your door. You watch, your next post will have continue to have nothing to do with the topic of this thread as you constantly try to deflect to a topic that we are actually doing better at than we have in the past. Again, if this is your concern, spend your time and energy bitching about it to your Congressperson since any solution for it needs to start with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT