ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion If you want to save democracy in 2024, Biden is the only viable choice

Trump and MAGA's are a far larger Clear and Present Danger to the United States than some refugee illegal citizens coming across the border. You are desperately trying to find any reason to not have to pay attention to the giant one pounding down your door. You watch, your next post will have continue to have nothing to do with the topic of this thread as you constantly try to deflect to a topic that we are actually doing better at than we have in the past. Again, if this is your concern, spend your time and energy bitching about it to your Congressperson since any solution for it needs to start with them.
Again...why can't BOTH be a concern? My point this in this thread is that I'm hearing the ranting and raving fearmongering "end of Democracy" from people who defend or ignore so many other things that are detrimental to our society.

And how can I "complain to my congress people" when it's the congress people themselves (see AOC, Kamala and the Squad) taking pictures of themselves at the border as if there's nothing they can do? Why weren't you giving AOC shit for her stances on the border. Stances that magically went away the day Biden was elected. Weird.

Who has it so bad right now? I am curious.
Do business owners count? You know...ones who get robbed every other week with zero accountability for the criminals? I'd say it sucks for those having to close their decades owned businesses and those in neighborhoods watching supermarkets go away because it's more important to protect scumbags than it is productive citizens.

Again...why can't BOTH be a concern? My point this in this thread is that I'm hearing the ranting and raving fearmongering "end of Democracy" from people who defend or ignore so many other things that are detrimental to our society.

And how can I "complain to my congress people" when it's the congress people themselves (see AOC, Kamala and the Squad) taking pictures of themselves at the border as if there's nothing they can do? Why weren't you giving AOC shit for her stances on the border. Stances that magically went away the day Biden was elected. Weird.
Besides you, who said they aren't? Why do we have to debate every single problem all at the same time?

AOC isn't the reason no immigration legislation hasn't been passed in 40 years. That belongs almost exclusively in the hands of Republicans. That's why I don't blame her. There have been at least two serious attempts, by Republican Presidents by the way, of getting comprehensive immigration legislation and Republicans torpedoed them both. AOC would have voted on one of those as well.

Biden sees warning signs with independent voters in lackluster polls​

President Biden is seeing warning signs with independent voters nearly a year out from Election Day, with new polls suggesting he’s losing support from a crucial group poised to decide who will next serve in the White House.

Independent voters reported a lackluster 36 percent approval rating of Biden in an NBC News poll taken in mid-September, and 3 in 5 Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents in a Washington Post-ABC News poll said they want a nominee other than Biden.

The numbers could mean trouble for Biden in the general election, especially if it’s a rematch against former President Trump.

“There are going to be a fair number of cross-pressured voters — including many people who consider themselves independents — who hold a negative view of Biden and Trump. These are the folks who are going to decide the election,” said Kyle Kondik, managing editor of Sabato’s Crystal Ball at the University of Virginia Center for Politics.

Trump’s support among likely Republican primary voters, meanwhile, has seen a continued surge despite facing a myriad of legal troubles, but that’s a different matter among voters who are not staunchly GOP.

Trump led the GOP presidential field with 67 percent of Republicans, but that number dwindles to 47 percent when it comes to those who lean Republican — a 20-point disconnect — a recent Quinnipiac University poll found. In August, that gap was 17 percent, with 62 percent of Republicans and 45 percent of GOP-leaning voters.

Among independents, Biden earned a 36 percent approval rating on his job handling in the Washington Post-ABC News poll. Asked to look back on Trump’s job handling, 47 percent of that group said they approved of the former president — and the pollsters note that comparison with Biden could be a factor in Trump’s retrospective rating.

Persistent concerns about Biden’s age also permeate the polling, while voters don’t appear as worried about Trump’s. At 80, Biden is the oldest sitting president, and 80 percent of independents in the Post-ABC poll said Biden is too old for another term. By contrast, 58 percent of independents said the same of Trump, who at 77 is only a few years younger.
In 2020, Biden led Trump by nearly 10 points with independents. Fifty-two percent of independent voters supported Biden, compared to 43 percent supporting Trump, according to Pew Research Center. Independents nearly split their vote in 2016, with 43 percent supporting Trump and 42 percent supporting Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Biden’s lead over Trump with the independent voting bloc in 2020 was essential to his success in winning back swing states Clinton had lost.

Losing those gains would be a major issue for Biden’s campaign, which has been focused on reminding voters of Republicans’ far-right stances on issues like reproductive rights, as well as certain legislative victories for Biden that were attractive to independents.
The infrastructure law and the CHIPS and Science Act both passed with a bipartisan vote and tackle issues — manufacturing and building in the U.S. and competition with China — that are important to voters on both sides of the aisle.

Democratic strategist Eddie Vale underscored that independents will likely be key in the upcoming race — but if the election comes down to a Biden-Trump rematch of 2020, Biden “has a good track record to keep independents in his column.”

“We [saw] from Biden’s last race, and the midterms as well, that independents are sticking with him,” Vale said.

Overall, Biden has faced dismal approval ratings going into the election year. Biden surrogates often point to his ability to defy the odds, like when he turned around the 2020 Democratic primary and went on to win the nomination. His campaign, too, does not appear concerned by the consistently bad polling numbers over the past few months.

A source familiar with the campaign’s thinking said that once the campaign gears up more, it will be able to message wins to independent voters and get that bloc to give Biden more credit.

“They will message these wins directly to independents as the campaign gears up. I don’t doubt that they will get this right and be fine,” the source said.
Some pollsters also argued that the Post-ABC poll, which found Biden was trailing Trump by 10 percentage points, is a one-off “outlier.” Sabato called it “a ridiculous outlier” and Matt Barreto, a Democratic and Latino pollster, said it’s a “big outlier poll” that should be ignored.

Another Democratic operative chalked up recent polling to the focus on the Republican presidential primary, saying once that is settled, Biden’s numbers will improve with blocs like independents.

“Voters are watching the circus of a Republican primary but aren’t thinking about the general election. Once we are closer to November 2024 and it’s a head-to-head matchup, President Biden’s long record of wins is going to stand in stark contrast,” said Andrea Riccio, Democratic strategist and founder of Velocity Partners.

“Biden’s once-in-a-generation investment in infrastructure to build roads, fix bridges and create American jobs will be one of the key accomplishments that sways independents,” she added.

Elaborate. What gives you that opinion? Google Biden accomplishments and then I would like to know why you’re against those things. Again all I hear is age from people here. Occasionally the troop withdrawal. That’s it. Otherwise he’s been damn presidential
"Otherwise he’s been damn presidential"
You are right there. The best money can buy, anyways.

Exactly. He has enough psychos that would be fine with it. We already have a Congressman who wanted Trump to declare martial law. Yet some think this is a damn joke. The Republic isn’t safe until Trump and MAGA have been eviscerated.
by Tom Paris.
images

Dude, Trump should not be POTUS. If you want to make a point, there are other GOP candidates that will serve you better in doing so. Trump deserved to be charged with crimes in FL, DC, & GA. Hopefully he will be convicted in at least 2 of those jurisdictions, if not all 3.
I said whomever the Republicans nominate, including Trump. Trump is not my favorite either but if the race is between Biden and Trump, the country was ALOT better under Trump in every matrix.

So? This doesn't mean anything. Let me know if they actually charge him with anything rather than just making sure they are extra thorough so they don't get accused of not putting much effort into it.
see-no-evil-vector-id483769659

I said whomever the Republicans nominate, including Trump. Trump is not my favorite either but if the race is between Biden and Trump, the country was ALOT better under Trump in every matrix.
Disagree. We don't need a revenge tour President along with all his other baggage.

Time to move on Abby...

Like I said. Head up your ass. Apparently, Governor Newsom thinks it’s a pretty big deal. But keep running around screaming about the end of democracy that’s never gonna happen during your lifetime. LOL.

Fentanyl seizures at the Mexico – U.S. border increased 164% from 2020 to 2022. Seizures in 2023 of 21,846 pounds (about 9909 kg) (FYTD) have already surpassed last year’s 14,104 pounds (about 6397 kg). Most fentanyl seizures occur in the states of California and Arizona and both states have seen an increase in fentanyl seizures over the period of 2020 – 2023 (FYTD).   Seizures in Texas and New Mexico, on the other hand, are a fraction of the previously mentioned states and seizures in these states collectively, decreased from 2021 to 2022.

The prevalence of fentanyl seizures in California and Arizona is linked directly to the dominance of the Sinaloa Cartel and the Jalisco New Generation Cartel in Baja California and Sonora, the two neighboring Mexican States.  New Mexico and Texas, on the other hand, border Mexican states where the previously mentioned cartels are not dominant. Cartels hire both Mexican and U.S. citizens to smuggle the easily concealable drug through ports of entry on foot and by passenger and cargo vehicles. This practice results in close to 90% of illicit fentanyl seizures occurring at official border crossings, according to CBP. The DEA has named the two cartels as the major suppliers of fentanyl in the United States.

The increase in fentanyl seizures at the Southwest border is not replicated in seizures of cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamine.  Cocaine seizures decreased slightly in 2022 over 2021 while heroin seizures decreased far more dramatically over the past two years from 5,157 pounds (about 2339 kg) in 2020 to 1,498 pounds (about 679 kg) in 2022. Methamphetamine remains the most seized drug with seizures along the southern border in 2021 of 182,561 pounds (about 82808 kg) and 160,305 pounds (about 72713 kg) seized in 2022. Seizures in 2023 (FYTD) suggest that fentanyl may surpass cocaine as the second most seized illicit substance at the Southern border.
Oh JFC. You blamed migrants. That’s who you originally referred to when crying about the border. I said that Americans are the majority bringing drugs across. It’s fact. Now you posted and helped prove my point. Just one damn time on here admit you’re wrong on something and STFU about it. You are the most scatterbrained debater I have come across in my life.

is doobs one of those posters who is a non trump supporter with centrist sensibilities who always take an anti-Democrat position when he posts?
I wouldn't say I have centrist sensibilities but otherwise yeah, for the most part you are correct. I don't always take an anti Democrat position except for the topics we usually talk about on here. I am for legalizing marijuana and am absolutely for ending the death penalty for example.

He's not a centrist at all no matter what he claims to be. But the rest is generally correct although I think I have actually agreed with him once or twice.
Never once claimed to be centrist. I also think I've agreed with you a time or two.

Reactions: BioHawk
Bull. Shit. Better under a rapist, grifting conman. Do you listen to yourself? Where was his infrastructure plan? Healthcare plan? Education plan? He made the wealthy wealthier. That’s it. Added billions if not trillions to the debt. Who tells you how to think because they’re lying to you??

Bull. Shit. Better under a rapist, grifting conman. Do you listen to yourself? Where was his infrastructure plan? Healthcare plan? Education plan? He made the wealthy wealthier. That’s it. Added billions if not trillions to the debt. Who tells you how to think because they’re lying to you??
Sorry, but you and I are looking for two different things from a president. I don't want the government in my healthcare, or the federal government in education and Obama and now Biden have spent more money on infrastructure that needed because they wasted it on "green" nonsense and paid off dem lobbyists.

I want a small federal government who secures our border, maintains a strong national defense and then gets out of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT