ADVERTISEMENT

Loose Meat Sandwich

Something like this. Pure deliciousness. NOT a sloppy joe. My recipe includes ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, creamy horseradish, salt, pepper and the family seasoning blend. Top with onions and pickles.

qvnz63pzzuzhs18wpmia.jpg
Please invite me.

I love EC BBQ. I lived in Goldsboro for a year (kindergarten) and got corrected immediately when I asked for some red sauce for pulled pork. So glad they straightened me out.

Reactions: Tom Paris
OK, I got to ask this so be kind. Are they really good or are they good because you grew up eating them like I did chopped N.C. bbq?
I don't eat them a ton but I do like them quite a bit when I do. They aren't some high class fancy meal but they are tasty.

And it's strange how regional these are. When I lived in St Louis, no one has heard of loosemeats. Or monster cookies. And you have to specify that you don't want your tea sweet (sweet tea is an abomination). Bunch of savages.

What is a typical side to these sandwiches?

In my experience a legendary loose meat place always has amazing fries, rings and/or tenderloins.

A tenderloin is not an ideal side for a loose meat, but if it’s your last day on earth.......

Reactions: dgordo
About the furthest south I have seen them is Wichita Kansas and they call them nuway crumbly burgers

I just made 4 pounds of loosemeat for tomorrow's tailgate. Tastees recipe out of Sioux City, to be exact. And based on my quality control sammich, they're perfect.
I have both the Tastee and Charlie Boy recipe (got them both from former employees) and can make them both spot on.

The one thing I can't do, and this is what makes Charlie Boys great, is how they sit there in the fat and grease and how all that meat just sits there and marinates. That's what adds that extra element to them.

I have both the Tastee and Charlie Boy recipe (got them both from former employees) and can make them both spot on.

The one thing I can't do, and this is what makes Charlie Boys great, is how they sit there in the fat and grease and how all that meat just sits there and marinates. That's what adds that extra element to them.

I supposedly have the CB recipe, but it's never come out the same. never peppery enough. My mom worked at Tastees as a yoot, so I have that one down pat. And the onion chip dip recipe.

You are a true afficionado. Never eaten Skylight though it's on my list. I love Wilber's and Grady's. I got to talk to Steve Grady once - there's a guy dedicated to his craft.
So far Wilber’s and Skylight are the best in the state IMO. I had plans to try Grady’s last week on the way to Ocracoke but the storm ended that. I’ve heard good things about the place.

OK, I got to ask this so be kind. Are they really good or are they good because you grew up eating them like I did chopped N.C. bbq?
They’re pretty decent.. better than they look for sure... but no, they really aren’t THAT great. They are just good considering how easy they are to make.

I could destroy 5 hush puppies a plate of EC pulled pork right now. Jesus Christ no wonder Papa John's is going out of business. It has nothing to do with the NFL. Get that shit on the roster.

How did these come into existence? Was someone too lazy to make a patty?

I supposedly have the CB recipe, but it's never come out the same. never peppery enough. My mom worked at Tastees as a yoot, so I have that one down pat. And the onion chip dip recipe.

The peppery-ness of the CB is what gives them a leg up on Tastees to me.

Damn, all this talk - now I gotta head over there this afternoon and pick a few up. Maybe I'll get a couple of each just to verify my grading scale.

I grew up in Iowa City and we didn't eat these at all, maybe saw them at graduation parties or something but I might have been confusing it with sloppy Joe's. Neither are appealing to me.

The peppery-ness of the CB is what gives them a leg up on Tastees to me.

Damn, all this talk - now I gotta head over there this afternoon and pick a few up. Maybe I'll get a couple of each just to verify my grading scale.

I have often gotten some onion chips and dip at tastees then went up the hill and are them with a couple Charlie Boys and a schooner.

It's one of the few things I miss about my hometown.

So far Wilber’s and Skylight are the best in the state IMO. I had plans to try Grady’s last week on the way to Ocracoke but the storm ended that. I’ve heard good things about the place.
That’s my problem with Ayden...it’s not on my way to anything so it’ll have to be a BBQ road trip...which sounds like a great idea now that I think about it.

Can we move Fight Bar to Miles Inn so we can have some Charlie Boys before and after we settle our differences?

Also Bobs in LeMars or GTFO

I grew up in LeMars and lived on Bobs. The recipe I use is very close to theirs.

That’s my problem with Ayden...it’s not on my way to anything so it’ll have to be a BBQ road trip...which sounds like a great idea now that I think about it.
Trust me, it is worth the trip. Two great ones in Adyen, Skylight of course and then there's Bum's, owned by some of the Jones family. The bbq is great at Bum's but their sides are the best around. Like I said, if you ate Wilber's and the Skylight, you have eaten the best N.C. has to offer. Another good one is in Greenville called B's BBQ. I've heard since they built hwy 70 bypass around Goldsboro that Wilber's is struggling. I hope they make it.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
If you were going to try making these at home, what kind of hamburger would you use? Fat, lean, etc,,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT