ADVERTISEMENT

Loose Meat Sandwich

There is a recipe floating around the interwebs that is supposedly from Maid-Rite that has chicken broth Swanson's in the recipe

Wife and I actually bought a double boiler and made the Maid-Rite recipe with chicken broth and it's fairly good I could see how maybe it is possible they use chicken broth

There is a point to where these are too soggy into greasy it is possible to make a mush so drainage is pretty much the key here

They are really good, but they are a mess and frankly I'm not sure a hamburger bun is the right delivery vehicle. I think they work better on a hot dog bun or even something more substantive like a brat bun or a hoagie bun. You need to also have the meat strained well, because they are "wet". Initially, lots of meat falls out onto the plate and then eventually the bun breaks apart and more meat falls onto the plate. You pretty much have to finish one with a fork.
Or a spoon. Spoon is better.

They are really good, but they are a mess and frankly I'm not sure a hamburger bun is the right delivery vehicle. I think they work better on a hot dog bun or even something more substantive like a brat bun or a hoagie bun. You need to also have the meat strained well, because they are "wet". Initially, lots of meat falls out onto the plate and then eventually the bun breaks apart and more meat falls onto the plate. You pretty much have to finish one with a fork.
The trick is to invert the bun. Press a couple times with your thumb in the middle of what normally is the top bun and them drop the hamburger on it. Mustardize the other half of the bun and have at it.

You are a true afficionado. Never eaten Skylight though it's on my list. I love Wilber's and Grady's. I got to talk to Steve Grady once - there's a guy dedicated to his craft.

Damn, all those places are in the middle of nowhere.

Did they survive the floods?

A mayed right sounds like a baby's first words right now. My goodness. I got some ground in the fridge. May need to get some spicy. Whatevs. I think I have a drinking problem again.

The Tastee recipe linked here and above calls for 5 pounds of ground beef. I have roughly adapted this for 1 pound. It is pretty good. I am going to make some today and then drive across the bridge to Pete n Shorty's in Clearwater to see how it compares.

2 tbl ketchup
1 tbl mustard
1 tbl creamed horseradish
1 tbl Worcestershire
1 tsp salt
1/16 tsp pepper
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 tsp accent

The linked recipe says ground onion. A few times I used granulated onion but it is much better with fresh finely diced onion.

If any of you have any cooking tips for this, please share.

Reactions: jasonrann
The Tastee recipe linked here and above calls for 5 pounds of ground beef. I have roughly adapted this for 1 pound. It is pretty good. I am going to make some today and then drive across the bridge to Pete n Shorty's in Clearwater to see how it compares.

2 tbl ketchup
1 tbl mustard
1 tbl Worcestershire
1 tsp salt
1/16 tsp pepper
1 pound ground beef
1/4 tsp accent

The linked recipe says ground onion. A few times I used granulated onion but it is much better with fresh finely diced onion.

That actually looks like a decent recipe. I’m pretty sure the real MaidRite I had in Iowa consisted only of unseasoned Taco Bell horse meat, potato starch, corn starch and wallpaper paste.

mustard and a little sugar, water. Put it in a cast iron skillet to best results. Use at least an 85% fat meat..

I prefer a recipe that uses Coca Cola

This one uses a competing cola

I'd be really interested to see what other people's Charlie Boy recipes look like. I got mine from my brother in law from Sioux City with supposedly "the recipe". It's damn close from what I could tell, but I've only been to the Miles Inn once and it was years go.

OK, I got to ask this so be kind. Are they really good or are they good because you grew up eating them like I did chopped N.C. bbq?
They’re a fine quick lunch or dinner option. Nothing special.

As others have said, the Iowa pork tenderloin sandwich is the GOAT.

I prefer them unbreaded and grilled, myself:

8855237082_1e078be0b1_c.jpg

2 tbl ketchup
1 tbl mustard
1 tbl Worcestershire
1 tsp salt
1/16 tsp pepper
1 pound ground beef
1/4 tsp accent

I am going to have to try this, all the same ingredients as my recipe, although much less. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: TC Nole OX

2 tbl ketchup
1 tbl mustard
1 tbl Worcestershire
1 tsp salt
1/16 tsp pepper
1 pound ground beef
1/4 tsp accent

The Tastee recipe you linked is pretty much mine on the dot with 2-3 lbs. of ground beef.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I am going to have to try this, all the same ingredients as my recipe, although much less. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I was doing 2 tablespoons each of the ketchup, mustard and creamy horseradish for one pound of ground beef. It was too saucy so I scaled it back. Doing that and switching to finely diced fresh onion yielded significant improvement.

I saw in another Loose Meat thread on here that this is best cooked in a cast iron skillet, slowly, so each piece of meat has a brown crust. I don't know if that is authentic or accurate but I will give that a try.

"Easy to make, but if you do it right, in a cast iron pan until each little bit has some brown crust on it, well it takes forever."

Reactions: jasonrann
I've never had a loose meat sandwich (unless Sloppy Joe's count). Whenever I hear the term I think of:

d1c8b13d47224bf59464fce28c80ab7474cb377e.jpg

Pete and Shorty's on Gulf to Bay, east of 19 has a pretty good version. They have a location in Pinellas Park but I didn't think much of the quality there. Most of the waitresses are nice looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonolz
I'd be really interested to see what other people's Charlie Boy recipes look like. I got mine from my brother in law from Sioux City with supposedly "the recipe". It's damn close from what I could tell, but I've only been to the Miles Inn once and it was years go.

I found this searching for Charlie Boy Sioux City. It has some similarities to the Tastee recipe I have been using but uses water to cover the meat.

I've never had a loose meat sandwich (unless Sloppy Joe's count). Whenever I hear the term I think of:

d1c8b13d47224bf59464fce28c80ab7474cb377e.jpg

Yeah, I'd never heard of it until the Roseanne show.

There's now a place across the street from my office that makes them; I haven't tried one because from what I've heard/read, much of the flavor comes from mustard, and I don't like mustard so figure the odds are strong that I wouldn't like the sandwich.

I was doing 2 tablespoons each of the ketchup, mustard and creamy horseradish for one pound of ground beef. It was too saucy so I scaled it back. Doing that and switching to finely diced fresh onion yielded significant improvement.

I saw in another Loose Meat thread on here that this is best cooked in a cast iron skillet, slowly, so each piece of meat has a brown crust. I don't know if that is authentic or accurate but I will give that a try.

"Easy to make, but if you do it right, in a cast iron pan until each little bit has some brown crust on it, well it takes forever."

I always do finely diced fresh onions, good call! I haven't heard about the cast iron skillet deal, might need to try that.

This is another one I am going to try b/c it seems it would be good. It is simmered in cola and has a tablespoon of black pepper for a pound of ground beef. When I first learned of this sandwich, probably 20 years ago, I read that it was cooked in coca cola or 7-up in a giant kettle. Pepper is simple and is a good contrast to the sweetness of the reduced soda.

Was reading about the best sandwiches by state and saw you guys are known for these. Please describe them to us that have never had one. TIA
Sounds like it was named by a 2nd grader.

I found this searching for Charlie Boy Sioux City. It has some similarities to the Tastee recipe I have been using but uses water to cover the meat.

Interesting… My version has an ingredient that I haven’t seen posted anywhere yet. The plot thickens…

I have both the Tastee and Charlie Boy recipe (got them both from former employees) and can make them both spot on.

The one thing I can't do, and this is what makes Charlie Boys great, is how they sit there in the fat and grease and how all that meat just sits there and marinates. That's what adds that extra element to them.
I think the search is still on to find the original Ye Olde Tavern recipe which was a Sioux City classic in the 1920's all the way through the 1960's before the restaurant closed. Corner of 14th & Jackson St. The first owner was credit with inventing the sandwich.

I was in SC a couple of weeks ago and got a couple Tastees before I hit the road. Also got a reuben sandwich at the Soho Cafe on 4th .... about 3.5 on a 1-5 scale... the waitress was a 4.5 on the strength of her bosoms.

This is another one I am going to try b/c it seems it would be good. It is simmered in cola and has a tablespoon of black pepper for a pound of ground beef. When I first learned of this sandwich, probably 20 years ago, I read that it was cooked in coca cola or 7-up in a giant kettle. Pepper is simple and is a good contrast to the sweetness of the reduced soda.

I cooked up this Coca Cola, worchestire, black pepper and salt recipe. It was very good.

A few notes:

I used a 12 ounce bottle of Mexican Coke, a quarter of a medium onion and 1 pound of ground beef

I used high quality tellicherry black peppercorns and crushed them in a mortar and pestle. I used a tablespoon. Next time I will reduce this to 2 teaspoons.

The recipe says simmer for 20-25 minutes. I simmered it on low to med-low for 45 minutes before I made my first sandwich. I continued to simmer it to 50-55 minutes when it was completely dry. I used a stainless steel skillet rather than cast iron.

I used mustard and pickle along with a Martin's Potato Roll for the first sandwich. This combination hid the flavor of the soda caramelized beef so I skipped the mustard and pickle after the first sandwich. Next time I am going to try this with white Hostess burger buns.

Last edited:
I'm at Pete and Shorty's in Clearwater. The loose meat here is pretty good but either of the two recipes, the Tastee and the other with Cola and black pepper, blow it away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT