ADVERTISEMENT

Lost an old friend

artradley

HR Legend
Apr 26, 2013
I guess I’m reaching that age. We knew each other in Middle School late 60’s early 70’s, but didn’t become close friends until college. Fun guy, good looking so we always had girls hanging around, but he always had first pick. He roomed with me for a couple years in our mid 20’s, but never bothered getting a job until he was nearly 30. He had finally gone back to college and got a job in IT. He was in my wedding back in 1993, but he was never good about staying in touch with his old friends, and eventually we drifted apart and hadn’t spoken in years.

But he was a heckuva character, and the stories I have are endless. Ironically, I always kept in contact with his mother, and whenever he was back in Iowa he would look up my dad and go golfing. Crazy considering he and I never talked.

I got a call last night from another old friend who I seldom speak to. He told me our mutual friend’s mom had died (this was the first time we didn’t get a Christmas card so I was worried about her) and one week later, after nobody could get a hold of him, the police went to his home for a wellness check and found him dead of an apparent heart attack. He was only 65, and had always been the fittest person I knew. I wonder if that had changed…

I realize this is a csb, but he’s my second very close friend to die, and I’m feeling maudlin.

Sorry to hear Art. How bout sharing one of those stories?

Mid 1980's we decided to fly to Cancun. One night we went on a Booze Cruise and while he did not drink often, this is one of the nights he tied one on. He's flirting with girls left and right, and at one point I did overhear him tell two of them to meet us at our regular bar when the cruise was over.

When the boat does pull in - maybe 11pm? I can't find him. I finally wander to the bar hoping to meet him there. I walk in with the two girls, then two more joined, then two more, and finally there were eight girls and me sitting at a table: all of whom he had invited. But friend is AWOL. The girls were not real pissed, but not really very happy, either. Having zero game, I had a couple drinks then slouched back to the hotel.

By the elevator there's a young girl sitting by herself in the lobby, and we nod at each other. I go up to the room, and he has honestly hung a t-shirt on the doorknob as a sign that I was not to go in. So I went back downstairs and the young girl laughed, because she said a half hour earlier she saw two sloppy drunk people get on the elevator, and when she saw me go up then come right back down she knew exactly what was going on. I sat and chatted with her for a bit, until the elevator opens and a disheveled young lady stumbles off and walks-of-shame out of the hotel. Maybe one minute later the elevator opens and friend comes out looking around for me and lights up when he sees me. He had no memory of inviting a bunch of girls to the bar, and thought he had lost me. The funniest part of the whole story is picturing the events through the eyes of the young girl in the lobby.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Great story about the hotel in Cancun...made me smile!
For what it's worth...every month I randomly pick some one on my social media lists to say hi and check in.
Cheers.

Reactions: Moral and artradley
Mid 1980's we decided to fly to Cancun. One night we went on a Booze Cruise and while he did not drink often, this is one of the nights he tied one on. He's flirting with girls left and right, and at one point I did overhear him tell two of them to meet us at our regular bar when the cruise was over.

When the boat does pull in - maybe 11pm? I can't find him. I finally wander to the bar hoping to meet him there. I walk in with the two girls, then two more joined, then two more, and finally there were eight girls and me sitting at a table: all of whom he had invited. But friend is AWOL. The girls were not real pissed, but not really very happy, either. Having zero game, I had a couple drinks then slouched back to the hotel.

By the elevator there's a young girl sitting by herself in the lobby, and we nod at each other. I go up to the room, and he has honestly hung a t-shirt on the doorknob as a sign that I was not to go in. So I went back downstairs and the young girl laughed, because she said a half hour earlier she saw two sloppy drunk people get on the elevator, and when she saw me go up then come right back down she knew exactly what was going on. I sat and chatted with her for a bit, until the elevator opens and a disheveled young lady stumbles off and walks-of-shame out of the hotel. Maybe one minute later the elevator opens and friend comes out looking around for me and lights up when he sees me. He had no memory of inviting a bunch of girls to the bar, and thought he had lost me. The funniest part of the whole story is picturing the events through the eyes of the young girl in the lobby.
Nice. I was waiting for one of the girls at the bar or the young girl at the hotel to turn into Mrs artradley

I guess I’m reaching that age. We knew each other in Middle School late 60’s early 70’s, but didn’t become close friends until college. Fun guy, good looking so we always had girls hanging around, but he always had first pick. He roomed with me for a couple years in our mid 20’s, but never bothered getting a job until he was nearly 30. He had finally gone back to college and got a job in IT. He was in my wedding back in 1993, but he was never good about staying in touch with his old friends, and eventually we drifted apart and hadn’t spoken in years.

But he was a heckuva character, and the stories I have are endless. Ironically, I always kept in contact with his mother, and whenever he was back in Iowa he would look up my dad and go golfing. Crazy considering he and I never talked.

I got a call last night from another old friend who I seldom speak to. He told me our mutual friend’s mom had died (this was the first time we didn’t get a Christmas card so I was worried about her) and one week later, after nobody could get a hold of him, the police went to his home for a wellness check and found him dead of an apparent heart attack. He was only 65, and had always been the fittest person I knew. I wonder if that had changed…

I realize this is a csb, but he’s my second very close friend to die, and I’m feeling maudlin.
Sorry to hear. It’s just never easy.
Just get ready. You’re at the start of the 4th Quarter (I’m there too) and you will get these notices more often.
The deaths are one thing, but the news of dementia will hit too. 😔

I get it, I am a few years younger than you apparently, but when people that you know real well, or knew, starting dropping out...YIKES! The "I could be next" thoughts start to come in.

I am sorry for your loss. For me...each time I am confronted with such a happening...I endeavor all the more to be the best father, husband, grandpa, boss, friend, etc, etc, that I can be. Make every moment count and enjoy every day!

This is truly a CSB👍. Hope you have many more cool memories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT