ADVERTISEMENT

Lulz....ISU fans already breaking out the reverse psychology

Feb 25, 2008
Already, I'm seeing Iowa State fans on social media trying to overly downplay things like, "hey guys let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Iowa has beaten us 7 years in a row. We still need to play the game" etc etc etc

And lots of other stuff like that. But you can tell they're biting their tongues to the point of bleeding wanting to rip on us for our absolutely gawd awful offensive performance today.

The one thing I want to point out in all of this is that only Iowa....and I mean ONLY Iowa.....can make both theirs and their opponents' fanbases feel absolutely disgusted about the fact that they can still get wins at the highest level of college football by basically trotting out what amounts to a card board cut out at QB, which is exactly what we did today (except the card board cut out wouldn't have thrown an interception.........just sayin).

I refuse to allow myself to get overly optimistic. ISU hasn't beat Iowa in 7 years. The game is at Kinnick. Iowa's D is really good again. Dekkers (although he looked good yesterday) is making his 1st road start. Like all FB games at every level, it will come down to turnovers. If ISU doesn't turn the ball over, they have a chance. If they do (and give Iowa a short field), they don't. The most important player on the field will be Tory Taylor. He was the difference last year, and may be again this year.

Already, I'm seeing Iowa State fans on social media trying to overly downplay things like, "hey guys let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Iowa has beaten us 7 years in a row. We still need to play the game" etc etc etc

And lots of other stuff like that. But you can tell they're biting their tongues to the point of bleeding wanting to rip on us for our absolutely gawd awful offensive performance today.

The one thing I want to point out in all of this is that only Iowa....and I mean ONLY Iowa.....can make both theirs and their opponents' fanbases feel absolutely disgusted about the fact that they can still get wins at the highest level of college football by basically trotting out what amounts to a card board cut out at QB, which is exactly what we did today (except the card board cut out wouldn't have thrown an interception.........just sayin).
Iowa State fans have to be shaking their heads and wondering how the f*** they lost to Iowa last year with Spencer Petras at quarterback.

I honestly don’t know if I can handle watching the game next week because I think it is likely to be an epically horrendous shit show. You could literally see a final score of 3-2 or some shit.

Iowa State fans have to be shaking their heads and wondering how the f*** they lost to Iowa last year with Spencer Petras at quarterback.

I honestly don’t know if I can handle watching the game next week because I think it is likely to be an epically horrendous shit show. You could literally see a final score of 3-2 or some shit.
We've lost to Iowa several times when it shouldn't have happened. Last year was classic.

I'll trade you our backup QB for your punter. Fair enough?

I’m hoping for a narrow iowa win on a questionable call just to see campbell, pollard and the loons lose their shit.

Anyone who thinks Iowa State is just going to roll into Kinnick with all their new starters and beat a team they couldn't move the ball on at all last year and win easily is a fool.

Not saying they can't win, but stop overreacting to one game.

Yup, the offense sucks, but last I checked we still have Jack, Seth, Riley, Noah, Lukas, Logan, Kaevon, Yahya, Joe, John, Quinn, Cooper and crew laying wood.

We didn't need much offense at all to win fairly easy last year on the road, now we get a first year QB in his first big road test.

We may not need an offensive point to win.

Anyone who thinks Iowa State is just going to roll into Kinnick with all their new starters and beat a team they couldn't move the ball on at all last year and win easily is a fool.

Yup, the offense sucks, but last I checked we still have Jack, Seth, Riley, Noah, Lukas, Logan, Kaevon, Yahya, Joe, John, Quinn, Cooper and crew laying wood.

We didn't need much offense at all to win fairly easy last year on the road, now we get a first year QB in his first big road test.

Iowa will need to score at least 17 points to win

Iowa will need to score at least 17 points to win
Yeah I'm afraid we end up losing something like 10-3 or 10-6, somewhere in there.

The defense will absolutely fight the good fight and make it tough on ISU, but I don't think anyone should have high expectations that we will keep ISU from getting at least 1 TD.

They will move the ball and have some scoring opportunities. Just a law of averages.

It's just whether the defense gets gassed like they did against Michigan last year, and decides to quit after it becomes clear the offense has no interest in doing things a college offense is suppose to do at this level..............

Well...we actually have lost that many in a row...and we're a young team on a road trip against an instate rival. So, if you think we're "downplaying" things as part of some reverse psychology scheme...c'mon man. We always find a way to choke against Iowa...almost always with dumb turnovers...and its pretty goddarn normal to expect more of the same this year.

As for your offense, I'm happy to rip on your "absolutely gawd awful" performance...but I also saw how good the Iowa Defense and ST are...so I have little optimism going into this game on Saturday. I have hope...which is what always makes getting beat hurt all the more...but that hope is tethered by experience in this series.

I fully expect Iowa's offense to play much better this week...they will have a big chip on their shoulder and want to prove they aren't as bad as they looked. Petras always seems to find his inner Fran Tarkenton when he plays us so I expect that to happen as well.

Our QB Dekkers looked VERY good yesterday, but we all get that it was SEMS...so it doesn't mean much until he doesn't against a good defense like Iowa. But going on the road into a hostile rivalry environment isn't conducive to a new QB having a great performance...so I guess we'll just have to play the game and see what happens.

I do not believe ISU had one QB sack against SEMO. Doubtful their defense is much better than SD St. Their O-line will not be able to handle Iowa D-line. Dekkers had a good game, but faced nothing like Iowa defense. (Obvious) Petras has to get better. I guess he can't get any worse.

I do not believe ISU had one QB sack against SEMO. Doubtful their defense is much better than SD St. Their O-line will not be able to handle Iowa D-line. Dekkers had a good game, but faced nothing like Iowa defense. (Obvious) Petras has to get better. I guess he can't get any worse.
SEMO also had a very mobile QB

The one thing I want to point out in all of this is that only Iowa....and I mean ONLY Iowa.....can make both theirs and their opponents' fanbases feel absolutely disgusted about the fact that they can still get wins at the highest level of college football by basically trotting out what amounts to a card board cut out at Q
I agree with most of this, but please, let’s not insinuate that SDSU and ISU are the “highest level” of CFB.

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale

Bc the hawks were getting like 4 takeaways a game up until basically the Purdue game.

We've lost to Iowa several times when it shouldn't have happened. Last year was classic.

I'll trade you our backup QB for your punter. Fair enough?
Wudda, cudda, shudda. Your best team ever last year couldn't beat Petras last year.

I am just amazed Iowa cannot even execute an offensive play on the snap count. How can this not be lousy coaching? So, I am expecting a loss and I believe Dekkers is a game at QB.

What? Over? Did you say over?!

The SEMO quarterback was extremely elusive. And my guess is that the ISU defense is significantly better than SDS. But I'm afraid you are right about the o-line, and you definitely are right about the Iowa defense.

I expect Petras to play better. Or to be replaced if he doesn't.

Also, aren't you getting some guys back who missed the game? Cyclone injury situation seems to be missing one of our better starting o-linemen and maybe a very promising freshman RB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT