ADVERTISEMENT

Luther Open

Ybarra may see this as his best chance to wrestle varsity action as a spot starter for Spencer. Also he may want the experience of weighing in for duals and wrestling with the team to try to get a leg up on Ayala going into next year when the spot opens up.

Yeah...thinking we are reacting to a typo or mistake. We basically see this every year, have the same convo, and the redshirt remains in place.

Thanks. Thought I was gonna have to get all in Tom's face again, like I had to do to fix recruiting. But sounds like he's got this, so I'll stand down and wait for next strategic issue to solve.
Just remember Tarp, the decision to redshirt or not is ultimately up to the wrestlers, no matter how the coaches may guide them.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst
Just remember Tarp, the decision to redshirt or not is ultimately up to the wrestlers, no matter how the coaches may guide them.
Tarp knows that better than most here. Probably best to just wait and see if it's as simple as a typo, if it isnt then speculate away. It's 30/70 if you'll get the full story anytime soon out of the room anyway. They keep stuff pretty close to the vest, regardless of criticality it seems.

I hope someone is doing play-by-play on this. If I would have had a week to prepare, I might have pulled off getting up there, but I'm not seeing a way to get it done, and I cancelled Flo last year when Willie left and they lost the rights to some of the meets. If they had a single event or monthly rate I'd buy this tournament, but I'm not spending a buck fifty a year when they don't cover half of what I want to see. Someone, please update as the day goes Saturday.

Interesting that some of the seasoned starters are going. I may be misremembering, but I can't really recall upperclassmen going to these early tournaments.

Also see that Grandview open is same day. Does anyone know if some of the other guys might be going to that?
They sent most of the starters to Luther one other year (can't remember for sure, and too lazy to look it up. Several years ago. Mike Duroe was still coaching Cornell). My son and I made a day of it while my wife hung out around Decorah for the day.

Reactions: jrod65
Well…. maybe. But it’s the coaches job to decide who takes the mat.
Say you have two guys at a spot that are both super good. One has a redshirt and is slightly better (talking like 2 points at nationals extra max), the other doesn't. They both have finalist potential. Obviously as a coach you want to let the redshirt guy redshirt and maximize your time with both wrestlers. But, the decision is ultimately up to the wrestler and he doesn't want to redshirt.

The coach isn't gonna bench the guy who chose not to redshirt just cause he's mad at him for redshirting.

Or say a kid like Ybarra just doesn't want to redshirt, maybe he wants to wrestle under the lights of Carver and this year is his best chance, maybe he wants to be at college as little as possible, maybe he's looking to get a leg up on Ayala, who knows. Even though I'm sure the coaches REALLY want him to redshirt, if he doesn't want to, he won't redshirt. Simple as that.

(Just examples inspired by some hypotheticals we could have in the room, no inside info here).

Do matches against D2 or D3 guys count towards the number of matches wrestled to get seeded? May not hurt to get matches in ASAP with the crazy world we live in now a days

Reactions: el dub
Say you have two guys at a spot that are both super good. One has a redshirt and is slightly better (talking like 2 points at nationals extra max), the other doesn't. They both have finalist potential. Obviously as a coach you want to let the redshirt guy redshirt and maximize your time with both wrestlers. But, the decision is ultimately up to the wrestler and he doesn't want to redshirt.

The coach isn't gonna bench the guy who chose not to redshirt just cause he's mad at him for redshirting.

Or say a kid like Ybarra just doesn't want to redshirt, maybe he wants to wrestle under the lights of Carver and this year is his best chance, maybe he wants to be at college as little as possible, maybe he's looking to get a leg up on Ayala, who knows. Even though I'm sure the coaches REALLY want him to redshirt, if he doesn't want to, he won't redshirt. Simple as that.

(Just examples inspired by some hypotheticals we could have in the room, no inside info here).

The second hypothetical is nonsensical. A wrestler cannot put himself on the mat. If a coach doesn’t put said wrestler out there his redshirt is preserved.

The second hypothetical is nonsensical. A wrestler cannot put himself on the mat. If a coach doesn’t put said wrestler out there his redshirt is preserved.
Letting the wrestler wrestle is part of it being their choice to redshirt or not. If you don't let them wrestle then you aren't really giving them a choice.

If Ybarra doesn't wanna redshirt and he's the next best guy after Lee then he'll be put on the mat.

Letting the wrestler wrestle is part of it being their choice to redshirt or not. If you don't let them wrestle then you aren't really giving them a choice.

If Ybarra doesn't wanna redshirt and he's the next best guy after Lee then he'll be put on the mat.
There’s no reason to burn a redshirt unless you’re going to be (or compete to be) the starter in the postseason. He can get plenty of experience wrestling the opens (and hopefully extra dual matches like last year) just like redshirts have been doing for many years. If a kid doesn’t want to be in school past year 4 or 5 nobody is making them. You don’t have to exhaust your eligibility to move on in life, so why burn a year to accelerate the process? It just doesn’t seem to make any sense to burn his redshirt as a blue chip recruit in order to fill in for Spencer, even if he’s the next best 125 on the roster by a wide margin.

So how’s that ultimately the wrestler’s choice then? Seems like it is the coach’s choice by definition.

Pretty sure a standard redshirt is a default condition. Iowa doesn’t send a report to the NCAA at the end of the year that tells them who redshirted. Where it becomes the athlete’s choice is after 4 years whether he takes advantage of that preserved 5th year or not and stays in school and on the team.

There’s no reason to burn a redshirt unless you’re going to be (or compete to be) the starter in the postseason. He can get plenty of experience wrestling the opens (and hopefully extra dual matches like last year) just like redshirts have been doing for many years. If a kid doesn’t want to be in school past year 4 or 5 nobody is making them. You don’t have to exhaust your eligibility to move on in life, so why burn a year to accelerate the process? It just doesn’t seem to make any sense to burn his redshirt as a blue chip recruit in order to fill in for Spencer, even if he’s the next best 125 on the roster by a wide margin.

Never said it made sense, just said it's a possibility.

So how’s that ultimately the wrestler’s choice then? Seems like it is the coach’s choice by definition.

Pretty sure a standard redshirt is a default condition. Iowa doesn’t send a report to the NCAA at the end of the year that tells them who redshirted. Where it becomes the athlete’s choice is after 4 years whether he takes advantage of that preserved 5th year or not and stays in school and on the team.
Of course it's technically the coaches' decision, just like it's the coaches' decision to have somebody on the team at all. However, a coach completely disregarding a wrestler's individual wishes would probably lead to some bad blood and transfers, I'd imagine.

If a true freshman wrestles attached this year, he would therefore not be redshirting and would be either preserving his redshirt for future years or choosing to forgo his redshirt completely since he already had the standard "developmental year" due to covid.

Like I said, not saying any of this is fact or even that any of this makes sense, especially from a team standpoint. Just saying it's a possibility.

• Haha
Never said it made sense, just said it's a possibility.
Ok it’s possible. It seemed to read that you thought Ybarra was the next best 125 and for that reason he’d be in the mat should Spencer take a day off. I suppose it’s possible. I see Cashman filling the void if that happens preserving Ybarra’s redshirt. Zero inside knowledge just that it makes more sense and aligns with what the staff has done in the past. Spencer is about the only one who has burnt a RS under Brands. I believe Stickley did as well but he also had a gray shirt year after HS similar to Burak.

Ybarra may see this as his best chance to wrestle varsity action as a spot starter for Spencer. Also he may want the experience of weighing in for duals and wrestling with the team to try to get a leg up on Ayala going into next year when the spot opens up.
My view as well. With Ayala, Schriever, and eventually Jesuroga...Ybarra might not see much varsity action in his career.

But that's getting the cart way in front of the horse.

Ok it’s possible. It seemed to read that you thought Ybarra was the next best 125 and for that reason he’d be in the mat should Spencer take a day off. I suppose it’s possible. I see Cashman filling the void if that happens preserving Ybarra’s redshirt. Zero inside knowledge just that it makes more sense and aligns with what the staff has done in the past. Spencer is about the only one who has burnt a RS under Brands. I believe Stickley did as well but he also had a gray shirt year after HS similar to Burak.
I absolutely agree with you that that route makes the most sense, if Ybarra doesn't redshirt this year I'd bet the house that it wasn't what the coaches would've preferred to do.

Does anyone think the Hawks go 10-10 (have a 1st place finisher at every weight)?? That'd be cool to sweep. I'll guess the Hawks will win 8 of the 10 elite division weights

Does anyone think the Hawks go 10-10 (have a 1st place finisher at every weight)?? That'd be cool to sweep. I'll guess the Hawks will win 8 of the 10 elite division weights
Probably have to see who else shows up first. The only question marks are Ybarra, Swafford and Costello, although Costello has done well enough that he might be favored.

I haven't seen the entire Field yet, but obviously someone like a highly ranked Wartburg veteran might give an Iowa backup a good match or beat them.

How many guys wrestle twice, win both matches, then mff out to get an easy two wins? Shit is getting crazy

supposedly Kennedy is pretty even in the room with Bull. Would love it if they actually wrestled in this tournament but I’d be surprised. I could see Bull getting his two wins and being done for the day.

How many guys wrestle twice, win both matches, then mff out to get an easy two wins? Shit is getting crazy

supposedly Kennedy is pretty even in the room with Bull. Would love it if they actually wrestled in this tournament but I’d be surprised. I could see Bull getting his two wins and being done for the day.
Lol, what the hell are you talking about???

I get why they do this tournament but now that non D1 matches don't count so to speak it takes some shine off. Hopefully some D1 backups from other schools show up.

I get why they do this tournament but now that non D1 matches don't count so to speak it takes some shine off. Hopefully some D1 backups from other schools show up.
Iowa starters rarely wrestle there so what difference does it make? It's the Luther Open, it's not designed to be The Midlands. They're out there wrestling, if you have the time and you're in the vicinity, you get to see some Iowa starters wrestle, regardless of who they're matched up against (and some Iowa backups of course).

They all know the rules and they're going anyway. It's a win all around IMO, especially for the Luther Open. (well unless you're a DIII 141 that had your sights set on winning it and then Jaydin Eierman shows up...).

Are we concerned Iowa starters aren't going to get enough DI matches to qualify for Nationals?

a coach refusing to let the best person wrestle won’t help himself when it comes time to recruit other top kids.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
a coach refusing to let the best person wrestle won’t help himself when it comes time to recruit other top kids.
There are always a lot of factors at play. Anybody involved should know this going in whether its Iowa or Bemidgi State.

At what weight is he the best person? If he was then yeah.

edit- I guess you’re probably talking about PK and not Ybarra.

Bemidji State University, great school with an excellent view, sitting on the west side of Lake Bemidji. Unfortunately they do not have a wrestling program.
But hockey is kind of wrestling (and boxing and sword fighting) on skates.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT