ADVERTISEMENT

Luther Open

Ranked 5th at 182 according to Flo. Going to Missouri. Abe looked like he has to knock some rust off.
Ranked 38 overall. Evidently won an open last week as well. I'm not sure I've seen a HS kid that jacked up. I'm sure people will freak about it but in reality for this season it is nothing but a learning opportunity. Abe will be fine.

That was a good loss for him. Coaches have been on him about his spurty, opportunistic style on bottom… and they will be on him about it even more now. I’m just happy because it seems like this loss got through to him in terms of knowing that he needs to change it up, because the first thing he said when he met us in the bleachers was, “alright, no more messing around, I need to start doing what Nelson Brands does and explode out of there on bottom and not wait for an opening… because sometimes there’s not an opening.”

So this match, although the outcome was not in our favor, was hopefully a good thing on a long term development scale.

Zane wrestled a good match. Those two go wayyyyy back.

On a side note, that ref was blatantly inconsistent all day on how he chose to call stalling when Iowa guys were wrestling.
Ya gotta be happy with that mindset. Hopefully he has a good redshirt season and stays healthy. I, for one, am rooting for him. Sounds like a tough minded kid wanting to improve.

Ranked 38 overall. Evidently won an open last week as well. I'm not sure I've seen a HS kid that jacked up. I'm sure people will freak about it but in reality for this season it is nothing but a learning opportunity. Abe will be fine.
Terrible loss for Abe Assad any way you stack it. I know he's rusty and all, but IMO he should roll thru the Luther Open. The fact that he didn't has me more than a little concerned for Iowa at 184 (and I do preach patience but this is not cool - long season ahead, we'll see how it shakes out but horrible start to it for AA).

Unless this kid is the 2nd coming of Askren or Nickal, then I take MOST of it back......😏

Last edited:
Does PS have him on speed dial yet??? 😇

Good day for PK and Reyna. Bad day for Turk. No good, horrible, very bad day for Assad.

There is no way around the bad day for Assad and he would be the first to admit that, I’m sure… I don’t see how he could possibly think of any positives on the ride back today.

BUT, coming from a fan perspective…2 years ago, he lost in the finals of the Grand View Open to Kendrick Jones of Grand View. The next weekend, he was beaten 8-3 by Julien Broderson of Iowa State at the Lindenwood Open… He seemed to have Julien’s number prior to that tournament…when they were in HS, Assad had the upper hand…I’m sure he was feeling pretty awful about both of those losses.

One month later, he was runner-up at Midlands and in doing so, beat some now proven D1 standouts… Max Lyon, Tanner Harvey, Travis Stefanik, Zach Braunagel and just a couple weeks after Midlands, he beat Taylor Venz.

A lot of these guys will be different animals in a month. I think Assad will be one of them, considering he has shown this pattern before.

Btw, your blog is probably my favorite wrestling material out of anything I’ve ever read that is wrestling-related….ever. That includes every article, book, etc. about wrestling that I have ever read from any resource…and I’ve read a lot… Your’s is the most interesting and #1 in my book…love the writing style. Good job on that, man.

Assad is good and will beat alot of good wrestlers but he is just too methodical in his approach for me.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Assad is good and will beat alot of good wrestlers but he is just too methodical in his approach for me.
Agree - let it fly like brooks!

also I don’t think he shows up early season is great shape like per say…>brands. No inside info on this just seems like he has to work his way into shape through the season.

Agree - let it fly like brooks!

also I don’t think he shows up early season is great shape like per say…>brands. No inside info on this just seems like he has to work his way into shape through the season.
Could be a hard cut for him? Sometimes the guys with the harder cuts struggle early.

Reactions: nearfall2
Abe Assad shouldn’t lose to a high school kid. WTH. Needs to score early and often. Crazy
I concur. I watched the entire match and was not impressed. Abe wasn't aggressive at all, well until about 30 seconds left in the match. It was like he was stalling (I mean waiting) for the match to come to him, and eventually it did with 33 seconds remaining in the 3rd...but not in the way he was hoping. How long has Abe been in the room? 2 years? 3? Anyhow, I hope it's as someone said and Abe is just needing to get into his rhythm, but I'm not seeing it. And like many, I thought Clayton Whiting was older than Abe, but such is not the case; he's an 18 year old kid...which makes the loss even worse.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I concur. I watched the entire match and was not impressed. Abe wasn't aggressive at all, well until about 30 seconds left in the match. It was like he was stalling (I mean waiting) for the match to come to him, and eventually it did with 33 seconds remaining in the 3rd...but not in the way he was hoping. How long has Abe been in the room? 2 years? 3? Anyhow, I hope it's as someone said and Abe is just needing to get into his rhythm, but I'm not seeing it. And like many, I thought Clayton Whiting was older than Abe, but such is not the case; he's an 18 year old kid...which makes the loss even worse.
Things happen. He lost to kids he had no reason losing to then came back and placed at midlands. Happened two years ago. He will be fine. I agree it’s time and getting back to normal. He missed a full year with no action. Btw willies ncaa 3rd place finisher pick beau barlett beat crooks tonight 1-0!!! Maybe he should just quit too!!!

Agreed. I do however think he will learn from this and bounce back!!!
I'm hoping what he learned is that he has to actually get on offense if he wants to win these dang matches. We've had some hammers who could play defense all day long and still win, but those are few and far between. BS comes to mind; Sorenson's defense was just amazing and if it hadn't been for Zain I think BS would have won it all at least twice. But Brandon also knew when he had to get on his game, which is something I just did not see from Abe today. He had zero game. And I'm not ok with that, especially from a guy who was a hammer coming out of high school and has been in the room with the best team in the country for the last two years. I'm trying not to be overly harsh, but we can't be ok with this kind of performance. Whatever rust he might have had should have been worked out in the room IMO unless he's coming off an injury or some other unforeseen situation that's prevented him from practicing.

I'm hoping what he learned is that he has to actually get on offense if he wants to win these dang matches. We've had some hammers who could play defense all day long and still win, but those are few and far between. BS comes to mind; Sorenson's defense was just amazing and if it hadn't been for Zain I think BS would have won it all at least twice. But Brandon also knew when he had to get on his game, which is something I just did not see from Abe today. He had zero game. And I'm not ok with that, especially from a guy who was a hammer coming out of high school and has been in the room with the best team in the country for the last two years. I'm trying not to be overly harsh, but we can't be ok with this kind of performance. Whatever rust he might have had should have been worked out in the room IMO unless he's coming off an injury or some other unforeseen situation that's prevented him from practicing.
He missed a full year last year!!!

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Any AA wrestlers ever lose to a HS entry at Midlands? Kolat knock any off?
As was said, as a sophomore in 1989, Kolat placed 3rd at Midlands.
Not sure he beat any AA’s but did beat a bunch of really good D1 kids.

In 1990, at Midlands, he placed 4th as a junior in HS with one huge win over Shawn Charles (2 X Runner Up)

He was pretty good!

I’m calling Ybarra goes this coming Friday … not cause I want to see it but safe choice. PG is hard on anyone he wrestles knees with below the knee shots.
Glory best bring his A game for that. JY looked really impressive in his Hawk debut yesterday.

Well, you know my guy Magayna beats college dudes on the regular as a YOUNG high school kid. So I’ll take Abe’s loss, even though he should be hammering youngsters.

Never mind, just saw Cody Goodwin’s article. You are likely correct in your prediction if they aren’t redshirting him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT