ADVERTISEMENT

Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile and No Country For Old Men

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
The wife and I watched Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile a few weeks ago, and I was intrigued to watch No Country For Old Men after enjoying Javier Bardem's work. First, if you only have time to watch one movie featuring a talking crocodile, this is the one for you. It's a wonderful movie, and Bardem shines.
Which brings me to NCFOM. What's the point? Almost everyone dies, Chigurh gets the money, nobody meets justice... It's a wonderful movie. Brilliantly cast, acted, and filmed, but it's such a frustrating ending.

The wife and I watched Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile a few weeks ago, and I was intrigued to watch No Country For Old Men after enjoying Javier Bardem's work. First, if you only have time to watch one movie featuring a talking crocodile, this is the one for you. It's a wonderful movie, and Bardem shines.
Which brings me to NCFOM. What's the point? Almost everyone dies, Chigurh gets the money, nobody meets justice... It's a wonderful movie. Brilliantly cast, acted, and filmed, but it's such a frustrating ending.
That’s the point. There isn’t a point. It’s not a country for old men. It’s the nature of violence and generational change.

In its final shots, Jones’s Sheriff Bell becomes the voice of generations past. As the camera pans ever so slowly into a close shot of his face, his facial expression begins to fall and falter. Almost to the point of tears, Bell becomes a point of revelation for the audience. This is the reality that awaits the future of men in No Country for Old Men. Men like Chigurh. That carries some distorted sense of moral code that masks the sadistic nature of humanity. Of the need to kill or be killed. Or of Moss. The prospect of money and fortune so easily sways men like Moss they’re willing to lose life and limb for it. Then, there are men like Bell. Men who thought they’d done everything right their entire life only to find out things have only gotten worse.

Last edited:
I had my doubts that Lyle could survive alone on his own that long without food, and if he did go out for food no way he doesnt get caught sooner. Frankly, the whole premise was ridiculous. I give it a 7 out of 30.

Good but definitely not my favorite from the Coens but pretty much all their movies are top 200 of the last 40 years.

Talking crocodile?!?! He only sings!

Took the kids to that when it was in theaters. I kept my attention so can’t totally complain.

Reactions: lucas80
That’s the point. There isn’t a point. It’s not a country for old men. It’s the nature of violence and generational change.

In its final shots, Jones’s Sheriff Bell becomes the voice of generations past. As the camera pans ever so slowly into a close shot of his face, his facial expression begins to fall and falter. Almost to the point of tears, Bell becomes a point of revelation for the audience. This is the reality that awaits the future of men in No Country for Old Men. Men like Chigurh. That carries some distorted sense of moral code that masks the sadistic nature of humanity. Of the need to kill or be killed. Or of Moss. The prospect of money and fortune so easily sways men like Moss they’re willing to lose life and limb for it. Then, there are men like Bell. Men who thought they’d done everything right their entire life only to find out things have only gotten worse.
This is the scene that brings it together for me.
Love this movie.

It’s a man with principles acting on those principles. I found it uplifting in today’s world where everyone says one thing and then does another.
Fair enough. Chigurh kept his word to kill Carla Jean. He had the money, and Lewellyn was dead. Everyone who wronged him was dead. But, by golly he promised to kill Carla Jean, and he stuck to his principles.

I had my doubts that Lyle could survive alone on his own that long without food, and if he did go out for food no way he doesnt get caught sooner. Frankly, the whole premise was ridiculous. I give it a 7 out of 30.
Big city sewers are teeming with crocodiles, plus, he wore a scarf, so he would have blended in. My question is did he poop on the toilet? If he wasn't using the toilet I find many things to be implausible.

Reactions: Moral
If he wasn't using the toilet I find many things to be implausible.

"Lyle, Lyle Crocodile leaves more questions than answers in this screen adaptation" some Rotten Tomatoes reviewer somewhere

I think it’s kind of a reimagining or response to movies like Charley Varrick. You don’t get away with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT