ADVERTISEMENT

Lynette Woodard of Kansas. 3,649 Career Points. Was the True Record Holder.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Lynette Woodard played at Kansas and has the AIAW career WBB scoring record of 3,649 career points. The AIAW was pre-NCAA; the NCAA took over the administration of women's basketball starting with the 1981-82 season (the year after Lynette was done at Kansas). The NCAA, unfortunately, has treated the AIAW, the first era of organized collegiate women's basketball, as if it never happened.

Well, Lynette and her 3,649 points did happen. In 4 years and 139 games played at Kansas, from 1978-1981, Lynette was a 4 time All-American and averaged 26.3 points per game. IMO, she should be considered the current all time D1 scoring leader.

Check this out & Watch:

Lynette Woodard played at Kansas and has the AIAW career WBB scoring record of 3,649 career points. The AIAW was pre-NCAA; the NCAA took over the administration of women's basketball starting with the 1981-82 season (the year after Lynette was done at Kansas). The NCAA, unfortunately, has treated the AIAW, the first era of organized collegiate women's basketball, as if it never happened.

Well, Lynette and her 3,649 points did happen. In 4 years and 139 games played at Kansas, from 1978-1981, Lynette was a 4 time All-American and averaged 26.3 points per game. IMO, she should be considered the current all time D1 scoring leader.

Check this out & Watch:

100% agree the record is Woodward’s. Of course, Caitlin will probably surpass that number as well.

100% agree the record is Woodward’s. Of course, Caitlin will probably surpass that number as well.

Probably happens in the next 24 days.

Caitlin needs just 188 pts to break Lynette's record of 3,649 points. Caitlin needs roughly 7 more games to do it (just 27 ppg x 7 games = 189), which would occur on Sun March 3 in Iowa City vs Ohio State (Senior Day).

Last edited:
I think it was Dan Patrick that brought up at I think a 25ppg pace with 3 BigTen tourney games and 3 March Madness tourney games Clark could past Maravich for the All-Time record.

Pearl Moore's AIAW Small College career scoring record of 4061 points got me thinking. If Iowa's number of games during the 2020-2021 season didn't get cut short due to COVID, would Caitlin Clark have a shot at topping 4000 points?
I looked up Iowa's schedule in 2020-2021. Iowa played 30 games, including 4 BBT and 3 NCAAT games. 23 regular season games. Only 1 Big Ten regular season game, at Rutgers, was canceled. But obviously Iowa played a lot fewer games during pre-season. Iowa played 29 regular season games last year and is playing 30 this year. Sounds like an additional 6 games could have been added to the schedule.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Pearl Moore's AIAW Small College career scoring record of 4061 points got me thinking. If Iowa's number of games during the 2020-2021 season didn't get cut short due to COVID, would Caitlin Clark have a shot at topping 4000 points?

Caitlin lost at least 6 games (and around 162 points) due to covid during the 2020-2021 season.

How I got to 162 points:

Iowa ended up playing just 23 regular season games in 2020-2021. This season we are playing 30 regular season games. So that's 6 or 7 regular season games that were lost due to covid (some reg seasons are just 29 games, not 30).

Therefore, Caitlin's lost points due to covid is 27 ppg x 6 games lost = 162.

Some other notes:

* The Iowa women's first game of the 2020-2021 season was not until Nov 25, 2020.

* Iowa only played 4 nonconference games (they were only allowed up to 5 nonconference games).

* The game at Rutgers was postponed and never made up.

* In the end, Iowa (20-10) only played 30 games that season.

4 Nonconf
(UNI, Drake, Iowa St, W. Ill)
19 Reg Season (of the orig 20) Conf Games
4 B1G Tournament Games
3 NCAA Tournament games

Here was their 2020-2021 schedule & results (note the postponements & rescheduling due to covid):

Here's CC's numbers her first 3 years:

Year: Points Scored
2021: 799 (30 games).................26.6 ppg
2022: 863 (32 games)..................27.0 ppg
2023: 1,055 (38 games)...............27.8 ppg

Here's a couple good stories regarding that season:

(1) Iowa WBB announced its 2020-21 WBB schedule just 2 days before the season was officially slated to begin. Iowa was scheduled to play 20 conference games and 4 non-conference games in 2020-21.

(2) Each school was supposed to play a 20-game Big Ten schedule (adding 2 conference games from the previous two years), and could play up to 5 non-conference games.

Reactions: UpstreamHawkeye
I think it was Dan Patrick that brought up at I think a 25ppg pace with 3 BigTen tourney games and 3 March Madness tourney games Clark could past Maravich for the All-Time record.
Of course, Pistol Pete set his record in three years (and without a three point line). Unreal.

It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game and 12 three-pointers per game (instead of the 44 per game he actually averaged).

Of course, Pistol Pete set his record in three years (and without a three point line). Unreal.

It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game and 12 three-pointers per game (instead of the 44 per game he actually averaged).
It's hard to say how it would have gone if the 3-point line were there. The defense strategy would have been vastly different. On the other hand, the team record would have been different, and LSU might have played more post-season games.

Of course, Pistol Pete set his record in three years (and without a three point line). Unreal. It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game and 12 three-pointers per game (instead of the 44 per game he actually averaged).

Pete played 83 games in his 3 varsity years.

So, 83 games x 57 ppg = 4,731 points

Did Iowa also lose a pre-season game due to Covid in 2020-2021? They played 4 but was allowed to schedule 5. I seem to remember there was a game lost.

Did Iowa also lose a pre-season game due to Covid in 2020-2021? They played 4 but was allowed to schedule 5. I seem to remember there was a game lost.

Each B1G school was allowed a 25 game regular season (20-game B1G schedule + up to 5 non-conference games).

Iowa ended up only playing 23 of the 25:

* Rutgers games was canceled

* For whatever reason, Iowa never added a 5th nonconference game and played just 4.

Ah, my memory did not fail me completely. Iowa did cancel 3 games due to COVID, but that was during the 2021-2022 season:

Those three games can be added to the games missed by Clark on her quest to the scoring record.

Imagine if Swoopes had done 1/2 the research ;)

9 games missed in her first 2 years is a lot. We're talking roughly 243 points that could be added to her current total (27 ppg x 9 games)

Ah, my memory did not fail me completely. Iowa did cancel 3 games due to COVID, but that was during the 2021-2022 season:

Those three games can be added to the games missed by Clark on her quest to the scoring record.

Were there "just" 2 games lost in Cancun? I don't recall how that tournament worked.

Here was their 2021-2022 schedule. What a mess! 3 games got canceled but there were several games that got postponed and eventually played later.

2021-2022 Games Canceled due to Covid:
Nov 21, 2021 vs Drake
Nov 25, 2021 vs Seton Hall (Cancun Challenge)
Nov 26, 2021 vs USC (Cancun Challenge)

I certainly get why people are so interested in the records with all time ones being set; however, I wish people could just sit back and enjoy the greatness on the court. To me the more impressive accomplishment for CC is the record number of people that have watched women’s basketball games live that she is in, as well as on TV. That is truly game changing.

Last edited:

Pete averaged 38 shots per game. That’s an incredible amount of shot attempts.

Yes but how many games did CC also lose in 2019-2020. They didn’t play the NCAA. So at least a couple there.

I'm not sure what's harder: averaging 44 or shooting 38 times on average. Love the pistol pete story but 38 times per game is just amazing when you really think about it. Caitlyn can/should take a lot of shots and she only takes 19. It seems like she is shooting frequently, imagine doubling that.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Pete averaged 38 shots per game. That’s an incredible amount of shot attempts.

Pete shot 44% for his college career. Caitlin's career 2-pt ptg is 56%.

Pete's LSU teams went 49-35. Maybe he should have looked for his teammates a little more.

No doubt about it, an incredible shots per game average regardless of era.

Not many teams had more than one star in any given year during that era and I don't believe the rotations were as deep either.

Name me guys Pete played with that went on to stardom in college or had substantial careers in the NBA.

I believe there were two teammates of his from the 1970 team who ended up having a cup of coffee in the league. Other than that I don't think there were any.

He was pretty much the man at LSU during that time there, and as mentioned his dad was the HC.

Doesn't change the fact that what he accomplished in 3 yrs, no 3-pt line and no shot clock makes him the GOAT for college basketball scoring.

No offense to you all who want CC anointed as such, but it's not gonna happen.

She is the GOAT for women though, so that's nice.

Someone should tell all the detractors this little piece of info:

It took 139 games for Lynette Woodard to score her 3,649 career points at Kansas (from 1978-1981).

It will take 130 games for Caitlin to pass Lynette Woodard's mark (all Caitlin has to do is average 27 ppg in the next 6 games). Game #130 for Caitlin, when she breaks Lynette's all time scoring record, is Sunday, March 3rd vs Ohio State (Senior Day), 12:00 pm CT Tip, TV: FOX. This, of course, is the last game of the regular season.

Last edited:
Pete played 83 games in his 3 varsity years.

So, 83 games x 57 ppg = 4,731 points
You can’t take anything Dale Brown has ever said and put any stock in it. Honestly, one of tge biggest sleazes to ever coach college BB…..he worked for Pete’s dad, Preston, who was a polar opposite of Brown.
I think Bobby Knight had Dale lower on his “ethics” scale than he had Illinois’ Lou Henson!

Reactions: spiderland
I think Bobby Knight had Dale lower on his “ethics” scale than he had Illinois’ Lou Henson!
Didn’t Knight once say after beating LSU in a tourney game that at one point in the game they were down big to the Tigers, but then he looked and saw Dale on the other bench and he knew that IU had the game in the bag? I think he hated Brown pretty bad.

Reactions: LukaDuka

Check this out & Watch:

Not an NCAA record.

Someone should tell all the detractors this little piece of info:

It took 139 games for Lynette Woodard to score her 3,649 career points at Kansas (from 1978-1981).
It will take 130 games for Caitlin to pass Lynette Woodard's mark (all Caitlin has to do is average 27 ppg in the next 6 games). Game #130 for Caitlin, when she breaks Lynette's all time scoring record, is Sunday, March 3rd vs Ohio State (Senior Day), 12:00 pm CT Tip, TV: FOX. This, of course, is the last game of the regular season.

CC has played in 124 games at 28.1 ppg but the point stands when it comes to games played.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion

Check this out & Watch:

The competition is vastly better than when they played. It use to be only a few teams got the best players, now there is a bit more parity. There is now maybe 10-15 teams that might make the final four. Truly only 2 or 3 that can win it. Never know on any given night.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The competition is vastly better than when they played. It use to be only a few teams got the best players, now there is a bit more parity. There is now maybe 10-15 teams that might make the final four. Truly only 2 or 3 that can win it. Never know on any given night.
Someone posted on another thread the teams Woodward played against. Grand view and other similar teams no where near the 300 D1 schools of today are consistently on the list.
Bluder should have scheduled Grinnels men’s team to allow Caitlin to pad her stats.

• Haha
Reactions: LukaDuka
Caitlin needs 130 pts to break Lynette Woodard's all time (AIAW) record of 3,649 points. It looks like Caitlin needs roughly 5 more games to do it (27 ppg x 5 games = 135), which would occur on Sun March 3 in Iowa City vs Ohio State (Senior Day).

Check this out & watch:

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT