ADVERTISEMENT

Lynette Woodard of Kansas. 3,649 Career Points. Was the True Record Holder.

I'm just waiting to see where the goalposts go after she breaks Woodard's record. I'm sure the detractors will find something.

@DougFHawkeye , you're right. And here we go. Apparently the small colleges now matter.

They'll do anything to detract from CC.

The women's scoring record belongs to Pearl Moore. Caitlin Clark is unlikely to reach it this year​

Why concern yourself with records if you don't recognize the organization that sponsors, governs and regulates the sport in which the record(s) apply?

The record(s) Caitlin has established and is pursuing is/are NCAA recognized and will be published as such. If she passes Woodward's and others, fine. Recordation will occur in extraneous publications, or possibly supplements to NCAA recordation.

It is about the NCAA record. Not other organizations records.

Why concern yourself with records if you don't recognize the organization that sponsors, governs and regulates the sport in which the record(s) apply?

The record(s) Caitlin has established and is pursuing is/are NCAA recognized and will be published as such. If she passes Woodward's and others, fine. Recordation will occur in extraneous publications, or possibly supplements to NCAA recordation.

Dr Christine Grant (of Iowa) was a co-founder of the AIAW, the first governing body for women's sports.

Woodard played during the AIAW era, from 1978-1981. The NCAA took over governance the following year, during the 1981-1982 season.

It's just weird (and unfortunate) that the NCAA doesn't acknowledge what happened in 1981 and before.

As was posted, I guess the actual record belongs to Moore. It's apples and oranges. Woodward played in a different time as did Moore. Comparisons are not realistic, and records are meant to be broken.

No player 30 years ago faced talent levels like today. Sure, a player may have scored more points in fewer tourney games but didn't have to face multiple 4 and 5 star players in every advanced game like now. Or even preliminary game.

Watching the recruiting patterns it appears this trend will continue. I saw today Iowa will be competing with UConn, Tenn, and Louisville Dec 7. in a Women's Classic Tourney. With or without Caitlin Iowa will be competitive with their incoming class and returnees.

Exiting times for Iowa.

As was posted, I guess the actual record belongs to Moore. It's apples and oranges. Woodward played in a different time as did Moore. Comparisons are not realistic, and records are meant to be broken.

No player 30 years ago faced talent levels like today. Sure, a player may have scored more points in fewer tourney games but didn't have to face multiple 4 and 5 star players in every advanced game like now. Or even preliminary game.

Watching the recruiting patterns it appears this trend will continue. I saw today Iowa will be competing with UConn, Tenn, and Louisville Dec 7. in a Women's Classic Tourney. With or without Caitlin Iowa will be competitive with their incoming class and returnees.

Exiting times for Iowa.

Pete Maravich played in a much different time, too. He couldn't play his freshman year, there was no 3 point line and there was no shot clock.

So, disregard what he did, too? Because, as you stated, comparisons between Pete & the modern day player and the modern game would be unrealistic.

;)

Lynette Woodard played at Kansas and has the AIAW career WBB scoring record of 3,649 career points. The AIAW was pre-NCAA; the NCAA took over the administration of women's basketball starting with the 1981-82 season (the year after Lynette was done at Kansas). The NCAA, unfortunately, has treated the AIAW, the first era of organized collegiate women's basketball, as if it never happened.

Well, Lynette and her 3,649 points did happen. In 4 years and 139 games played at Kansas, from 1978-1981, Lynette was a 4 time All-American and averaged 26.3 points per game. IMO, she should be considered the current all time D1 scoring leader.

Check this out & Watch:

She holds the AIAW record.

Pete Maravich played in a much different time, too. He couldn't play his freshman year, there was no 3 point line and there was no shot clock.

So, disregard what he did, too? Because, as you stated, comparisons between Pete & the modern day player and the modern game would be unrealistic.

;)
No, but as I stated earlier at least acknowledge the context behind his only playing in 83 games. Dude AVERAGED 38 shots per game! Thats 2674 shots! Clark won't get to that point until maybe the elite 8, so thats something to look at as well. Also the whole NAIA and D2 thing is stupid. Thats like comparing apples to truck tires. Or high level AAU to YMCA pickup games. Just stupid to even bring that up.....

No, but as I stated earlier at least acknowledge the context behind his only playing in 83 games. Dude AVERAGED 38 shots per game! Thats 2674 shots! Clark won't get to that point until maybe the elite 8, so thats something to look at as well. Also the whole NAIA and D2 thing is stupid. Thats like comparing apples to truck tires. Or high level AAU to YMCA pickup games. Just stupid to even bring that up.....

yeah, we should only be talking about big schools (D1) when taking about "the record."

i was reluctant to even bring up Pete's record because that's a men's record. Now that CC will pass his number, he's getting brought up....

She holds the AIAW record.
Lynette Woodard was playing Division 1 before the NCAA became the governing body. She holds the all-time Division 1 Women's record. Caitlin Clark also plays Division 1, the same competition level as Woodard. Clark is all-time #2 in Division 1 - for now. The only reason Woodard doesn't hold the NCAA record is because the NCAA did not govern women's college basketball at the time Woodard played.

Any real debate about who the top scorer in women's college basketball is will end when Clark passes Woodard.

Pearl Moore's record is also very impressive. But it's a Division II record. I can only imagine how many points Clark would have scored if she had taken her game to Upper Iowa. Pearl Moore is not who she's chasing, because Clark is competing against better competition.

Passing Pete Maravich, which Caitlin will probably do, will be nice, but it's not particularly noteworthy because he set his record competing against better competition than Clark.

Hope this clears up the relevance of what is being discussed.

Lynette Woodard played at Kansas and has the AIAW career WBB scoring record of 3,649 career points. The AIAW was pre-NCAA; the NCAA took over the administration of women's basketball starting with the 1981-82 season (the year after Lynette was done at Kansas). The NCAA, unfortunately, has treated the AIAW, the first era of organized collegiate women's basketball, as if it never happened.

Well, Lynette and her 3,649 points did happen. In 4 years and 139 games played at Kansas, from 1978-1981, Lynette was a 4 time All-American and averaged 26.3 points per game. IMO, she should be considered the current all time D1 scoring leader.

Check this out & Watch:

Not for long. Pistol is next.

Reactions: amahawk
Passing Pete Maravich, which Caitlin will probably do, will be nice, but it's not particularly noteworthy because he set his record competing against better competition than Clark.

Bolded text is bolded because it is BS. Maravich played in a mostly still segregated SEC...hence not better competition. Maravich averaged 38 shots per game, his father was the coach at LSU...LSU was a slightly above average SEC team while he was there. Maravich was great but Clark's record will stand up fine against his. Here's a good article https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...-ncaa-scoring-record/8eabda25a4bf99678f11fbdd

Bolded text is bolded because it is BS. Maravich played in a mostly still segregated SEC...hence not better competition. Maravich averaged 38 shots per game, his father was the coach at LSU...LSU was a slightly above average SEC team while he was there. Maravich was great but Clark's record will stand up fine against his. Here's a good article https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...-ncaa-scoring-record/8eabda25a4bf99678f11fbdd
He played against men

So, yes, better competition.

Lynette Woodard was playing Division 1 before the NCAA became the governing body. She holds the all-time Division 1 Women's record. Caitlin Clark also plays Division 1, the same competition level as Woodard. Clark is all-time #2 in Division 1 - for now. The only reason Woodard doesn't hold the NCAA record is because the NCAA did not govern women's college basketball at the time Woodard played.

Any real debate about who the top scorer in women's college basketball is will end when Clark passes Woodard.

Pearl Moore's record is also very impressive. But it's a Division II record. I can only imagine how many points Clark would have scored if she had taken her game to Upper Iowa. Pearl Moore is not who she's chasing, because Clark is competing against better competition.

Passing Pete Maravich is about the same talking point as those that bring up that Clark was the first to have a 40 pt triple double in the NCAA tournament, male or female.

And people like you would counter "well, but competition" because reasons compel you to..............

We are a "Yeah, but-" society for worse or for much worse. :)

Hope that helps you going forward.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion

Exiting times for Iowa.
Exiting time indeed with the potential roster we could have next year if we lose a lot of our best players and do nothing in the portal.

Freshmen aren't helping us beat those teams next year........

LSU went 28-26 in conference play during Pete's years. Iowa with CC has gone 52-17.

Pete was an amazing talent, but he was also a nepo baby who shot it 38 times a game.

Reactions: amahawk and Chuck C

I've seen enough B10 womens basketball in 2024 to notice it's still pretty "segregated" as well if we are strictly judging opponents by their color and not their talent, so that's kind of a lame excuse. Iowa would go undefeated in any of the HBCU conferences.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
With about 3 more games we can stop this debate.

Caitlin needs 81 pts to break Lynette's big school record of 3,649 points.

It does look like she needs roughly 3 more games to do it (just 27 ppg x 3 games = 81), which would occur on Wed Feb 28 in Minneapolis vs Minnesota.

139 Games: for Lynette to score 3649 pts
129 Games: for Caitlin to pass 3649 pts

He played against men

So, yes, better competition.
Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I've seen enough B10 womens basketball in 2024 to notice it's still pretty "segregated" as well if we are strictly judging opponents by their color and not their talent, so that's kind of a lame excuse. Iowa would go undefeated in any of the HBCU conferences.
that's a bad comparison...it's like saying there was no difference in talent/competition in MLB pre Jackie Robinson and post Jackie Robinson

;)
Dude didn’t play against black players and shot 38+ times a game. It’s really tiring to hear this argument every day

Can't wait for her to pass this one too so salty Kansas fans can stop harassing Iowa fans about it.

Girls/women's basketball has such an interesting history.

Heck, for girls, 6 on 6 was still huge in Iowa in the mid to late 1980's. 1993 was the last Iowa 6 on 6 State Tournament.

Title IX legislation in 1973 changed everything, of course.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
You’re really not doing this are you? Comparing playing in a segregated SEC vs now? Pete was a great player as he proved once he got into the NBA but he was not playing against the best players in the country. Caitlin is. He was averaging 20 more shots a game. 20. Give Caitlin 19 more shots a game she makes 8. 3 being 3 pointers and 5 being 2’s. That’s 19 more points a game. She’d be averaging over 50 a game.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Girls/women's basketball has such an interesting history.

Heck, for girls, 6 on 6 was still huge in Iowa in the mid to late 1980's. 1993 was the last Iowa 6 on 6 State Tournament.

Title IX legislation in 1973 changed everything, of course.
Yep. The Mrs played 6 on 6 in high school and still holds her schools rebounding game record with 23 boards from 1976. She played defense and couldn't go across half court. She's still salty though that she didn't get to put up some shots. Lol.. I told her she'd probably never have set the rebounding record if she had to run up and down the floor. You can imagine that didn't go over real well..Lol.. She was a slender 6' gal and the tallest on her team. Now we see 6' gals playing point guard and extremely skilled. She has really been enjoying watching the girls play the last couple of years though. More so then Frans guys....

Yep. The Mrs played 6 on 6 in high school and still holds her schools rebounding game record with 23 boards from 1976. She played defense and couldn't go across half court. She's still salty though that she didn't get to put up some shots. Lol.. I told her she'd probably never have set the rebounding record if she had to run up and down the floor. You can imagine that didn't go over real well..Lol.. She was a slender 6' gal and the tallest on her team. Now we see 6' gals playing point guard and extremely skilled. She has really been enjoying watching the girls play the last couple of years though. More so then Frans guys....
My sister still holds several rebounding records and is 4th in total points from when she played at Wartburg in the very early ‘80s. She was their post player at 5’11”. Pretty crazy.

Last edited:
My sister still holds several rebounding records and is 4th in total points from when she played at Wartburg from the very early ‘80s. She was their post player at 5’11”. Pretty crazy.
Averaged a double-double over her 4 yrs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT