ADVERTISEMENT

Lynette Woodard of Kansas. 3,649 Career Points. Was the True Record Holder.

Passing Pete Maravich is about the same talking point as those that bring up that Clark was the first to have a 40 pt triple double in the NCAA tournament, male or female.
Agreed.

And people like you would counter "well, but competition" because reasons compel you to..............
I wouldn't counter with that. I think they're fun talking points. Why you trying to hate on me bro?

Woodard was a legit player. I have no problem with her having the record. Caitlin will pass it and that’s great. She played for Kansas for goodness sakes and then the globetrotters if I remember correctly. It’s not like she set the record playing for Coe. Kudos to Caitlin when she passes her. I legit think the Woodard number is the real one.

Yep. The Mrs played 6 on 6 in high school and still holds her schools rebounding game record with 23 boards from 1976. She played defense and couldn't go across half court. She's still salty though that she didn't get to put up some shots. Lol.. I told her she'd probably never have set the rebounding record if she had to run up and down the floor. You can imagine that didn't go over real well..Lol.. She was a slender 6' gal and the tallest on her team. Now we see 6' gals playing point guard and extremely skilled. She has really been enjoying watching the girls play the last couple of years though. More so then Frans guys....
I thought 6 on 6 should have played with 2 basketballs. One on each half court. Constant offense.

I thought 6 on 6 should have played with 2 basketballs. One on each half court. Constant offense.
That would be incorrect. One team played offense and the other defense on each side of mid court. When the ball crossed mid court the roles changed so for your own team you had players that only played defense, and players that only played offense. I believe they were limited to two dribbles as well, so passing was at a premium....

Reactions: Gus is dead
My idea would really be playing two separate games at once. No cross court passing. Three defenders and three offensive players. I was laughed at for this idea when I was in school.

Caitlin needed 33 points tonight to break the AIAW/Big School record of 3,649 points (Lynette Woodard, Kansas University; the AIAW was pre-NCAA; Lynette played from 1978-1981; 139 Games Played; 26.3 ppg).

In just 129 games played (10 fewer than Lynette) and at the 4:27 mark of the 4th quarter, Caitlin scored point #33 on a long 3 pointer.

Incredible.

Time to dig up some more people for Caitlin to pass. LOL.

Would be sweet if she could get 1,000 rebounds for the. 3,000 point, 1,000 assist, 1,000 reb mark.

I think they showed she has 917 rebounds.
Not impossible, but we’d have to make it deep in both tournaments and she’d have to average a little over 10 per game. Or we make it all the way to the final and she averages like 8 per game which is doable but tough.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Yep. The Mrs played 6 on 6 in high school and still holds her schools rebounding game record with 23 boards from 1976. She played defense and couldn't go across half court. She's still salty though that she didn't get to put up some shots. Lol.. I told her she'd probably never have set the rebounding record if she had to run up and down the floor. You can imagine that didn't go over real well..Lol.. She was a slender 6' gal and the tallest on her team. Now we see 6' gals playing point guard and extremely skilled. She has really been enjoying watching the girls play the last couple of years though. More so then Frans guys....
Should have launched a couple from behind the half court line her Sr. year to get some career stats.

Pete Maravich played in a much different time, too. He couldn't play his freshman year, there was no 3 point line and there was no shot clock.

So, disregard what he did, too? Because, as you stated, comparisons between Pete & the modern day player and the modern game would be unrealistic.

;)
He also played in an almost completely segregated SEC, has dad ran the offense through him, he shot hundreds of more shots over those three seasons than Caitlin has so far, and assumes Caitlin would shoot logo 2s with the same frequency rather than driving to the hoop more often, shooting a higher percentage and drawing fouls.

He also played in an almost completely segregated SEC, has dad ran the offense through him, he shot hundreds of more shots over those three seasons than Caitlin has so far, and assumes Caitlin would shoot logo 2s with the same frequency rather than driving to the hoop more often, shooting a higher percentage and drawing fouls.

the back and forth could go on forever. that's why i never mentioned Pistol Pete in the Caitlin scoring thread until people, in the thread, started saying "she's x points from passing Pete."

I don't remember who posted it on X, but someone pointed out the hypocrisy (shocking) that is the NCAA recognizing Tara VanDerveer's wins from the AIAW but not individual player records.

really good, interesting point.

thank you

i used to hate history, mostly because it was taught so poorly; now I find it fascinating.

As much as title 9 caused issues for NCAA sports I’m so glad we live it a world with it.
I hear you. I had three sons and no daughters, so didn't think much about title 9 even though the Mrs was a pretty good player. Then my sons started having their kids and I have 3 grandsons, and FOUR granddaughters. I can tell you it changes your perspective on access and opportunity for both genders.

Last edited:
I hear you. I had three sons and no daughters, so didn't think much about title 9 even thought the Mrs was a pretty good player. Then my sons started having their kids and I have 3 grandsons, and FOUR granddaughters. I can tell you it changes your perspective on access and opportunity for both genders.

this is a cool discussion. they even bring up the old 6 on 6 ;)

I really have no idea why the press keeps bringing up Pearl Moore in addition to Woodard. She played at what is essentially Division II school. It's confusing people into taking bad arguments that Moore is somehow the true points leader. I've seen tons of people in youtube comments doing this.

I really have no idea why the press keeps bringing up Pearl Moore in addition to Woodard. She played at what is essentially Division II school. It's confusing people into taking bad arguments that Moore is somehow the true points leader. I've seen tons of people in youtube comments doing this.
She had 60 points against Eastern Washington State College in the (small school) tourney

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT