ADVERTISEMENT

M* Interview

He talks alot about the upcoming season and young talent. Fires me up. It can be viewed on the website whose name we will not mention.

Is it crazy to think that Morningstar might be the most important non-athlete in the whole program? T&T are obviously important but without getting the thoroughbreds in the stable there is no training to be had.

Prove me wrong...

Is it crazy to think that Morningstar might be the most important non-athlete in the whole program? T&T are obviously important but without getting the thoroughbreds in the stable there is no training to be had.

Prove me wrong...

Alright, no Tom or Terry...no Spencer ;) or PA guys. TNT did a lot of mining out in PA. Both took many trips out there.

I agree to an extent because M* is a great guy to have around for recruiting. Dude works his ass off. The recruiting role has been very essential because elite kids are coming to college a much more finished product.

It wasnt to uncommon coming to this board and see the "get rid of Mstar" in many threads.
Be nice if some of those adamant posters, would take some time to Express their gratitude for one of the best young recruiting coaches out there.
Very few people outwork the young man.

Last edited:

Prove me wrong...
I don’t think it’s crazy at all. They each play a pivotal role in the program but Morningstar definitely pulls his weight and has played a huge part in getting the Iowa program back on track to winning titles.

Reactions: Crossface22.0
I agree to an extent because M* is a great guy to have around for recruiting. Dude works his ass off. The recruiting role has been very essential because elite kids are coming to college a much more finished product.

High level recruits that come in as true freshman are so polished that it enhances Morningstar's value even further. Great point, Chief.

The important point I want to make is that every person on the staff play an important role, however, recruiting is more important now than ever before and Morningstar seems to be the face of recruiting.

Reactions: artradley
High level recruits that come in as true freshman are so polished that it enhances Morningstar's value even further. Great point, Chief.

The important point I want to make is that every person on the staff play an important role, however, recruiting is more important now than ever before and Morningstar seems to be the face of recruiting.

But you don't think a huge part of the sales pitch that Morningstar makes is having T&T as coaches?

I think Morningstar is incredibly valuable, important, and a critical component of locking down recruits, but without world class coaches the sales pitch is a lot less enticing.

I don't think it's "weird" at all. It's not coincidental that Iowa has their best/deepest team in many years just as Morningstar's coaching career is really starting to develop.
The response that would have been less likely to be taken as a "shot" would be - everyone has their role and all must work together in order to be successful.

Reactions: Crossface22.0
It wasnt to uncommon coming to this board and see the "get rid of Mstar" in many threads.
Be nice if some of those adamant posters, would take some time to Express their gratitude for one of the best young recruiting coaches out there.
Very few people outwork the young man.
I agree that his recruiting skills have been top notch as I was a former anti morning* guy. Still think we need a world medal level coach somewhere between 57-97. That would make the coaching staff complete imho. Definitely has earned his keep though.

Ever heard of Mark Perry?
Yes, great wrestler. And definitely not taking anything away from mark because I’m a fan. So don’t get all emotional...

Every year Iowa has a 125 or 133 competing for a title. Why? Because they are coached by multiple time WORLD champion brands brothers. Upper weights... not so much.

Another example PSU upper weights - guys competing for titles every year. Why?(rocket science). They are coached by WORLD champs - Carl/Warner. It’s not just recruiting either, PSU lower weights 125-133 no matter how good they recruit they aren’t developing champs down low because they don’t have WORLD level coaching.

Just one top notch guy coaching up top could be end game and make hawks unstoppable. Imagine if someone like Cox or Taylor were coaching up guys like warner....

Ever heard of Mark Perry?
Yes, great wrestler. And definitely not taking anything away from mark because I’m a fan. So don’t get all emotional...

Every year Iowa has a 125 or 133 competing for a title. Why? Because they are coached by multiple time WORLD champion brands brothers. Upper weights... not so much.

Another example PSU upper weights - guys competing for titles every year. Why?(rocket science). They are coached by WORLD champs - Carl/Warner. It’s not just recruiting either, PSU lower weights 125-133 no matter how good they recruit they aren’t developing champs down low because they don’t have WORLD level coaching.

Just one top notch guy coaching up top could be end game and make hawks unstoppable. Imagine if someone like Cox or Taylor were coaching up guys like warner....

I get your point but Terry was even coaching Mocco for awhile....and he def was world level

Reactions: el dub and bnicolls
I agree that his recruiting skills have been top notch as I was a former anti morning* guy. Still think we need a world medal level coach somewhere between 57-97. That would make the coaching staff complete imho. Definitely has earned his keep though.
Will M*be considered a top level coach if Kemdawg and Bull are competing for the title this year? Their NCAA points should be close to Lee DeSanto.

The guy that is at the top of the list for head coaching jobs and is largely credited with PSU’s success at the middle weights is Cunningham whose wrestling pedigree is good (NCAA Champ) but not great compared to many others.

The guy that is at the top of the list for head coaching jobs and is largely credited with PSU’s success at the middle weights is Cunningham whose wrestling pedigree is good (NCAA Champ) but not great compared to many others.
Agreed, for sure.

On another note look what Pendleton, Howe, and pritzlaff are doing for the programs they coach at - recruiting AND developing offensive wrestlers

Will M*be considered a top level coach if Kemdawg and Bull are competing for the title this year? Their NCAA points should be close to Lee DeSanto.
Yes - I’m a huge hawk fan. And facts are facts so if that happens and someone points its out I’ll be the first on here to say - my opinion was wrong. We definitely need to find a way to ensure our talent progresses and are more than just grinders - they should be scorers. And yes bull and Kem are both scorers before anyone starts throwing eggs. Putting 184 on the stand last year would be much more impressive. I’m optimistic regardless - hawks win a title this year!

Yes - I’m a huge hawk fan. And facts are facts so if that happens and someone points its out I’ll be the first on here to say - my opinion was wrong. We definitely need to find a way to ensure our talent progresses and are more than just grinders - they should be scorers. And yes bull and Kem are both scorers before anyone starts throwing eggs. Putting 184 on the stand last year would be much more impressive. I’m optimistic regardless - hawks win a title this year!

I thought putting Young on the stand was damn impressive.

ummm

Thomas+Gilman+Nico+Megaludis+2016+NCAA+Wrestling+7Gs8PCGxSSVl.jpg

Arguments can easily be made when using certain outliers which deviates from the standard norm. However, Calumet argument still holds water, PSU middle and upper weights far out pace what the coaching staff has been able to do with their lower weights. Opposite remains true at Iowa.

Guess you got me, I obviously haven’t watched any ncaa wrestling - who is that? But seriously look at the last decade of 125-133.

im just pointing out that what you posted was wrong.

PSU lower weights 125-133 no matter how good they recruit they aren’t developing champs down low because they don’t have WORLD level coaching.

do whatever you want with the info, it doesnt matter to me. i just would like other people to have the facts

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT