ADVERTISEMENT

Making it easy for everyone -- cheer for Illini and Indy

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
If Iowa wins...

for #3: both Illinois and Indy have to win (UNLESS Indy, Purdue, and OSU ALL win)

for #4: if either Illinois or Indy wins (with the one exception above)

for #5: MSU and Purdue both win

This post was edited on 3/4 9:22 PM by StormHawk42

Re: Making it easy for everyone -- cheer for Illini and IU

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
If Iowa wins...

for #3: both Illinois and IU have to win (UNLESS Indy, Purdue, and OSU ALL win)

for #4: if either Illinois or IU wins (with the one exception above)

This post was edited on 3/4 9:21 PM by StormHawk42
One more variable, if MSU and Purdue win, an OSU win over Wisconsin would put Iowa as the #4.

Damn, thought I got em all. But yes that is true.

I should have known it would come down to this.

Root for Illinois and Indiana, or accept Iowa as a five seed in the BTT?

And StormHawk says he's making it easy.
ohwell.r191677.gif

th

A five seed isn't so bad.
smile.r191677.gif

Rooting for Is are easy, IOWA always, IL & IN for this Saturday only, lol...

Any scenario has an upside at the end of this long drought.

The 3/6/11 bracket is the best statistically. Five is an attraction if Purdue is 4. That extra game gives you the shortest layoff and a chance to work out the kinks. Hawks are on a roll, let's keep 'em playing.

Originally posted by AuroraHawk:

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
If Iowa wins...

for #3: both Illinois and IU have to win (UNLESS Indy, Purdue, and OSU ALL win)

for #4: if either Illinois or IU wins (with the one exception above)

This post was edited on 3/4 9:21 PM by StormHawk42
One more variable, if MSU and Purdue win, an OSU win over Wisconsin would put Iowa as the #4.
Can you explain the tie breakers for this?

Elephant in the room much??? Love the optimism, but this whole plan does hinge on beating a pretty hot Northwestern squad... I think it's gonna be a payback woodshed game, but jebus people, let's not put the horse ahead of the cart....

Not hammering the OP, but so far no mentioned that simplistic fact in the responses...

^^^^
It goes without saying. Or it did.
wink.r191677.gif
Then you said it.

I believe it is with all of us tied the "bump up" tiebreaker is how you did against the #2 seed......this would put us as a 4.

Has anyone actually confirmed for sure that if we tie with PU and OSU that the rules view Iowa anda PU as tied and bump us to the next tiebreaker (vs Maryland)? Rather than PU and Iowa reverting to 2-team tiebreaker once OSU is removed?

When I read the official tiebreaker page I don't see where it says this.

Well gonna have to cheer for the Illini and IU. Everytime I cheer against them they win, so maybe have to break that trick out again.

Im hoping Ferrell goes off and for IU I really pray Rice & Nunn get hot for the Illini.

Originally posted by jberesford:
Elephant in the room much??? Love the optimism, but this whole plan does hinge on beating a pretty hot Northwestern squad... I think it's gonna be a payback woodshed game, but jebus people, let's not put the horse ahead of the cart....

Not hammering the OP, but so far no mentioned that simplistic fact in the responses...
Actually it's not as relevant as you think. If OSU loses to Wisky, we're at least the 5 regardless if we win.

Ok hopefully this helps, but this a chart from BHGP. It's a couple days old, but it's easy to follow because a couple winners have already been determined. Open it in a new tab and zoom in.

tbrk-20150302-top-1.0.png

This post was edited on 3/5 8:19 AM by StormHawk42

If there is a 4 way tie with Iowa, OSU, Purdue, and MSU...

B. Multiple team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).
MSU - (3-0) = 3 seed
Iowa - (2-2)
Purdue - (2-2)
OSU - (1-3)

b. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).
OSU drops out due to worse record than Iowa and Purdue against 4 tied teams = 6 seed

2. If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
Iowa (0-2 vs. Wisconsin)
Purdue (0-1 vs. Wisconsin)

Based on the underlined qualifier above, one would assume that if 2-0 is not better than 1-0, then 0-1 is not better than 0-2. Based on this assumption...

Iowa (1-0 vs. Maryland) = 4 seed
Purdue (0-1 vs. Maryland) = 5 seed

So that being said, rooting interests this weekend are:

Illinois & Indiana both win = 3 seed
Illinois OR Indiana win = 4 seed
OSU win = at least 4 seed regardless of other games

So for the 4 seed, it's pick your poison between cheering for Illinois, Indiana, or OSU. Or you can just feel completely dirty and cheer for all 3...

This post was edited on 3/5 6:25 AM by afsocker

Tie Breakers

Another way to look at it, if Iowa wins Saturday, there's only one scenario where Iowa doesn't get a double-bye, and that's for MSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin to all win. Unfortunately, that's a very likely scenario.

Originally posted by Ray Kinsella:
Another way to look at it, if Iowa wins Saturday, there's only one scenario where Iowa doesn't get a double-bye, and that's for MSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin to all win. Unfortunately, that's a very likely scenario.
Yeah I hate to say it, I think all 3 of those teams win.

The only one I could see losing is MUS (beings the game is at IU) but they have been playing bad of late and MSU will pound it down low much like Iowa did.

Illinois and Purdue is going to be interesting. Two teams basically playing for a NCAA birth. Loser is most likely going to have to make run in Chicago to get back in. So that could go either way, but PU is tough at home.

Wisky will win, they are a solid team.

Im hoping for a 4 seed to get that double bye, but the #5 seed won't be all that bad, i mean it gives us another game.

So Iowa can hope for lots of scenarios, but reality is probably 5 seed. I thin OSU is team that is in worst shape as they have most difficult game plus appear to be a bottom of the tiebreaker computations. Given most likely scenario is for OSU To lose, that would give Iowa the 5 seed win or lose if I have followed the math correctly.

Three weeks ago , very few of us thought we would be able to consider these scenarios and we're looking to avoid the 8/9 matchup at BTT, now we are looking at much better situation. What I like best is that we are playing our best bb of the season and appear to be having fun doing it!!!!!! It is great to have march madness back in hawkeyeland
GO HAWKS!

Coincidentally, III is the Roman numeral for 3
smile.r191677.gif
....though there is controversy about the Roman numeral for 4: Sometimes you see "IV" and other times "IIII".

Well, if we want to look on the sunny side of the matter....If we don't get one of the top four spots, it will give us a chance to add to our overall victory total.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:
Two teams basically playing for a NCAA birth.
WOB.

I, for one, am hoping for an NCAA death, as I'd like to see a different governing entity with at least a little more intelligence, and a lot less bureaucracy.

OMG, anyone else getting a headache reading this thread?
wink.r191677.gif

The way I look at it is just win your game vs N'w and let the chips fall where they may; nothing we can do about it.

Also, wouldn't you love to have ONE of these 3 losses back? @Purdue, @N'w, home to MN Win just ONE of these 3 games and our lives are so much easier
happy.r191677.gif

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:

Yeah I hate to say it, I think all 3 of those teams win.

The only one I could see losing is MUS (beings the game is at IU) but they have been playing bad of late and MSU will pound it down low much like Iowa did.

Illinois and Purdue is going to be interesting. Two teams basically playing for a NCAA birth. Loser is most likely going to have to make run in Chicago to get back in. So that could go either way, but PU is tough at home.

Wisky will win, they are a solid team.

Im hoping for a 4 seed to get that double bye, but the #5 seed won't be all that bad, i mean it gives us another game.
good posts; we just need a lot of help to go from the 5 to a 4 or 3

Hoping for the 4. Play Michigan State or whoever on Friday. If they win they get Wisconsin Saturday. If they would beat the Badgers, great. If not, get home, get some rest and get ready for the dance. Kinda nice Iowa isnt playing for their NCAA lives next week in Chicago.

Thanks, Afsocker, I think you allowed me to answer the question that's been eating at me: "Has anyone actually confirmed for sure that if we tie with PU and OSU that the rules view Iowa anda PU as tied and bump us to the next tiebreaker (vs Maryland)? Rather than PU and Iowa reverting to 2-team tiebreaker once OSU is removed?"

The tiebreaker does say "After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s)."

Therefore, the same logic should apply that if when comparing records of three tied teams and one is lower that once that team (OSU) is removed, then the remaining two teams records would be compared against the original three teams. PU and Iowa would obviously still be tied at 2-1, so it jumps to how we did against Maryland!

Yay! Though I do wish they actually spelled out this scenario in their published procedures.

I've whittled down the BHGP document by deleting all scenarios no longer in play after last night's games. It shows there are 3 of 16 scenarios that land us the #3 seed. Obviously 8 out of those 16 include us losing to NU, which we know eliminates us from #3 consideration. Also, if MSU beats IU they are guaranteed the #3 seed.

So I whittled it down further to see that if we win, IU wins, and UI wins we're #3. And if PU wins, we need OSU to also win in order to get #3.

Also, if we beat NU, the only way we get the #5 is if MSU, PU, and Wisc win.

enjoy...

This post was edited on 3/5 1:15 PM by El Simbolo

great graphic!

So if Iowa takes care of business against NW, there is only one scenario where they don't get at least a 4 seed/double bye. I like those odds.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Here's the latest projection that has us at #4 seed already but I thought Purdue would because they won head to head against IA. However, in the comments section, IA MD and MD beat Purdue was the reason for having IA at #4 and Pur #5. HUH?

B1G Tourney

Thanks for the work on that table of scenarios. Great job and easy to read. Looks to me that MSU a is kind of driving the bus, at least in terms of 3 seed or double bye position and OSU is probably hanging out the back window since they need most unlikely cumulative outcomes and have most difficult game. Since we play first, this will be quickly reduced to eight options by 1:00 Saturday..
Hawks win and just keep rolling in March is my hope.

Originally posted by LaoHawk:
Here's the latest projection that has us at #4 seed already but I thought Purdue would because they won head to head against IA. However, in the comments section, IA MD and MD beat Purdue was the reason for having IA at #4 and Pur #5. HUH?
That's if the season ended today, with all 4 MSU, PU, Iowa, and OSU having the same record, which then goes through a crap ton of tie breakers. Indeed, if ALL 4 of those teams won this weekend, Iowa would be the 4. It's just unlikely because OSU probably won't beat Wisky.

Purdue is a 5.5 favorite or -235 moneyline, so that suggests about a 70% chance of winning in the betting market (quick math)

I'd guess we'll be a 5 seed, but then Purdue will have to face us again. I am ok with this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT